Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic happy at 324 (Read 1030 times)
264Magic
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

happy at 324
Mar 9th, 2018 at 8:20am
Print Post  
loaded some 85gr hollows for my 264magic on wed and thurs morn up thru the gorse to reach the first knob all drenched,,binos out to spot many wallys enjoying the sun after all the wet weather,,shot some and missed some then tried getting closer but ended up in a jungle of gorse n lawyer,,back up on the knob decided to see at what distance i could connect,,ranged one at 321 aiming right at him to see a half flip and a flop,,good now theres another at 313 with just the top of the shoulders and neck/head poking out,,steady and bang,,another hit(my falling block is a toy so have put a 2-7 scope on to keep it in proportion)they look bloody small at that distance at 7x
now next one at 309 and bang dead again,,now and again the odd one would pop up at 200 to 250 and then one at 324,,another hit so all good,,first time ive been adventurous beyond 300,,my previous best was 286

two weeks ago went to the back of lake ohau as it was the same distance as going the the arthurs to look for a cham,,saw a couple of spikers up on a shingle slip that had some growth on it,,carried on up to the top of the valley and climbed out onto the t/l to spot two young chams,,at a quess i would say twins,a boy n a girl,,took some pics and carried on climbing up high looking for sign,,the wind was very strong so got sick of that and dropped down onto where id seen the spikers to find two dead deer not far above the bushline,,the head of one was gone plus the back stakes with a wee bit of one back leg,,the other the same(nice long spikes on this one)
so why did you have to shoot two and leave half the meat behind??pls answer me that if youre reading this

the female is the top one

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

Re: happy at 324
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Nice, good shooting.

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Dead eye dick alright mate, bloody good shooting.

I am with you on buggers shooting deer and only taking a little bit of meat, unless of course there are far too many animals which I dont believe happens in too many of the more accessable places.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
good stuff old bean....sure hope you filled ya pack with the vennison left behind.
good to hear there are still some wobblies around....

IP Logged

bobby6

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Not having a crack but whats the difference in shooting and leaving meat from one species(wobblies) as apposed to another.. deer?

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 7:47am
Print Post  
bobby6 wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 11:49am:
Not having a crack but whats the difference in shooting and leaving meat from one species(wobblies) as apposed to another.. deer?

obvious to some

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 9:52am
Print Post  
264Magic wrote on Mar 12th, 2018 at 7:47am:
bobby6 wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 11:49am:

obvious to some

Grin Grin Grin

just the taste test would be enough, mind you Possum pies aint too bad, now Pukekos  are just suicidal if there is a swamp or drain nearby, pity they usually taste like frogs intestines.

IP Logged

Nor-West
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
264 any chance of a photo of the rifle you use and the description of the cartridge please.

Still out here in the wind and rain, look a little older but I feel no pain...

Warren Zevon

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
Liked the pics.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards