Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Sika Roar episode, Duke channel 13, 8.30pm tonight! (Read 2061 times)
LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Re: Sika Roar episode, Duke channel 13, 8.30pm tonight!
Reply #15 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 7:59am
Print Post  
Plenty of grown men on this forum would have cried walking that country so good on those young lads.  Full credit.

In the pre dog days I was in the Waimatai and a cunning old hind laid down dead still and let me walk on by.  Neat spot.

Cheers, Dan

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #16 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 9:09am
Print Post  
LOVETT wrote on Mar 9th, 2018 at 7:59am:
In the pre dog days I was in the Waimatai and a cunning old hind laid down dead still and let me walk on by.  Neat spot.

Yep - if you manage to get in close on one and haven't made eye to eye contact they will do exactly that.
One I remember was quite a good stag standing some fifteen feet away behind a thin screen of bush.
I was looking for a quiet way through when I made eye to eye and he was immediately gone. I just watched as he stretched his head forward, laying his antlers close to his back and motored out of there. I can still picture the muscles playing under his skin as he ran - a very compact and powerful animal and I'm glad I saw that.

Another ploy when you get too close is they'll let out a squeal and are gone before your feet hit the ground. And when they're a mere eight feet away and do that, I can assure you your feet will leave the ground and leave you with a pounding heart and a - how the hell didn't I see that.

Marvelous animals - I loved hunting them, probably more than any other.

IP Logged

BAR308

Reply #17 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Great episode to watch, very inspiring!

IP Logged

Sayonara
Donor Member

Always ready to learn

Reply #18 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 6:34am
Print Post  
Conmad Jackvann wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 6:23am:
Sayonara wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 5:58am:
I was a bush hobbit and loved that episode.
So impressed by those young fellas.  Awesome hard yards and they're still smiling and they're still smiling at the end.
What's with dad hogging the rifle?   That second one running in maybe not, but the first?  Come on, hand it over!
Not criticism, just an observation.

Hi Mate I am the Dad so I can answer this for you Wink. My oldest boy Conrad had only just turned 10 yrs old when we filmed that episode and he was still not very confidant at all in raising a rifle and being able to look through the scope etc when bush hunting (fine resting up on a fallow deer feeding etc with all the time in the world) and we really needed at that time a opportunity to pass him rifle and him have a good few minutes to sort holding of rifle and visual through scope etc (which are few and far between Sika roar hunting). He has since mastered the art in holding the rifle and being able to look through the scope straight away and place good humane kill shots, which he has since done well on a few Ruahine deer (and even passed on a nice Stag this summer tops hunting as he was not confidant in the shot at hand and didnt want to wound the animal which i am very proud of).
It did indeed look like I was hogging the rifle hence why we all joked about it and still do but the reality was in both those circumstances, it happened way too fast and to pass him the rifle and put any pressure on him was not even an option for me. Great watch from our end as a family last night and can't thank the Duley's enough  for giving my two boys the opportunity they are a great family and very genuine and passionate about the outdoors.  Two very lucky boys with a trip they will remember forever, I'm a very lucky Dad to say the least  Cheesy Cheesy

Understood and thanks for taking the time to reply.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards