Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Sika Roar episode, Duke channel 13, 8.30pm tonight! (Read 2065 times)
Greg Duley, NZ Hunter

NZ Hunter Magazine

Sika Roar episode, Duke channel 13, 8.30pm tonight!
Mar 7th, 2018 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
One for the bush hobbits. This year we do a neat walk through the Kaweka Forest Park from West to East, with Matt Cleaver and his two boys - an episode of in your face bush hunting action!
Watch and be in to win a Domex Halo sleeping bag!
https://www.facebook.com/NZHunterMagazine

IP Logged

stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Re: Sika Roar episode, Duke channel 13, 8.30pm tonight!
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
I think that was my favourite episode so far this year! Awesome!

Sako-Tikka-Lee Enfield-Franchi-Leupold-Black Labrador
YouTube  
IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
It's only the third one I've seen - very good.

Those kids were astonishing, that was hard yakka - well done.

IP Logged

Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Fantastic episode...my kids will love watching this episode and are keen to join Dad for hunts...I think these two young lads will inspire my kids big time...

IP Logged

trusty222
Donor Member

"HOT BARRELS AND SAGGING
TAIL LINES"

Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
Excellent work Greg and Willie, got to congratulate the Cleaver clan, great to see, brings back many memories for me as a 12 or 13 yr old following Dad around the same country.

WELL DONE and Hot Barrels Boys  Smiley Smiley

DOG TRAINING "GET IT RIGHT THE 1ST TIME & TRAIN FOR SUCCESS"
WWW.BCL.KIWI
IP Logged

scoped
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 5:51am
Print Post  
best episode yet

Anticipation is half the fun!

IP Logged

Sayonara
Donor Member

Always ready to learn

Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 5:58am
Print Post  
I was a bush hobbit and loved that episode.
So impressed by those young fellas.  Awesome hard yards and they're still smiling and they're still smiling at the end.
What's with dad hogging the rifle?   That second one running in maybe not, but the first?  Come on, hand it over!
Not criticism, just an observation.

IP Logged

Conmad Jackvann
Forum Senior

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 6:23am
Print Post  
Sayonara wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 5:58am:
So impressed by those young fellas.  Awesome hard yards and they're still smiling and they're still smiling at the end.
What's with dad hogging the rifle?   That second one running in maybe not, but the first?  Come on, hand it over!

Hi Mate I am the Dad so I can answer this for you Wink. My oldest boy Conrad had only just turned 10 yrs old when we filmed that episode and he was still not very confidant at all in raising a rifle and being able to look through the scope etc when bush hunting (fine resting up on a fallow deer feeding etc with all the time in the world) and we really needed at that time a opportunity to pass him rifle and him have a good few minutes to sort holding of rifle and visual through scope etc (which are few and far between Sika roar hunting). He has since mastered the art in holding the rifle and being able to look through the scope straight away and place good humane kill shots, which he has since done well on a few Ruahine deer (and even passed on a nice Stag this summer tops hunting as he was not confidant in the shot at hand and didnt want to wound the animal which i am very proud of).
It did indeed look like I was hogging the rifle hence why we all joked about it and still do but the reality was in both those circumstances, it happened way too fast and to pass him the rifle and put any pressure on him was not even an option for me. Great watch from our end as a family last night and can't thank the Duley's enough  for giving my two boys the opportunity they are a great family and very genuine and passionate about the outdoors.  Two very lucky boys with a trip they will remember forever, I'm a very lucky Dad to say the least  Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 7:19am
Print Post  
You did really well. I've taken my two daughters hunting and just got one of them her first deer. She is similar to your son in that holding the rifle is quite hard, but using a rest or bipod is fine. I made up a small set of shooting sticks so that she could rest the rifle on them if we couldn't find a rest or had to be higher than a bipod.
I was really impressed with the endurance your boys had, especially the youngest. Not many 7 yr olds could carry a pack for that long, over that country. Loved the bit where Willy was talking to the camera and he was swinging on the tree in the background.

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 7:27am
Print Post  
Conmad Jackvann wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 6:23am:

Hi Mate I am the Dad so I can answer this for you Wink. My oldest boy Conrad had only just turned 10 yrs old when we filmed that episode and he was still not very confidant at all in raising a rifle and being able to look through the scope etc when bush hunting (fine resting up on a fallow deer feeding etc with all the time in the world) and we really needed at that time a opportunity to pass him rifle and him have a good few minutes to sort holding of rifle and visual through scope etc (which are few and far between Sika roar hunting). He has since mastered the art in holding the rifle and being able to look through the scope straight away and place good humane kill shots, which he has since done well on a few Ruahine deer (and even passed on a nice Stag this summer tops hunting as he was not confidant in the shot at hand and didnt want to wound the animal which i am very proud of).
It did indeed look like I was hogging the rifle hence why we all joked about it and still do but the reality was in both those circumstances, it happened way too fast and to pass him the rifle and put any pressure on him was not even an option for me. Great watch from our end as a family last night and can't thank the Duley's enough  for giving my two boys the opportunity they are a great family and very genuine and passionate about the outdoors.  Two very lucky boys with a trip they will remember forever, I'm a very lucky Dad to say the least  Cheesy Cheesy

Well done Dad. Understandable and exactly the right thing to do.

I've watched you and your lads on various vids and in stories and I have always been super impressed. Families that play together stay together! Yes, you are a lucky Dad and they are lucky children. But you make your own luck and as a family thats what you are doing. I'm also guessing that there is a loving and supporting Mum in the picture too.

The thrill of this episode for me wasn't the hunting. It was watching a loving and nurturing Dad sharing a passion with his children.

What a shame the episode wasn't screened on mainstream TV.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Stagrinon
Donor Member

No pain No gain.

Reply #10 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 7:54am
Print Post  
Hats of too you and your boys Matt, well done.
  I too have a ten year old,  he learnt a lot from watching that last night.

"See Dad they are getting piggy backs"   and dont like getting their feet wet. 
cut to the later scenes and silence..    Grin.

Last week he mentioned that we should be hunting where the Duleys go as there were heaps of deer, I said that was fine, he just needed to walk further.  Smiley  ...  a lot further  Grin.

What was with the dead hind?

IP Logged

monk

Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Best episode yet.Watched it last night and again this morning,can’t get enough of sika stags roaring up close in the bush.Wet cold day here so probably watch it again this arvo Grin
Well done Matt Cleaver you’ve got two fine young men there.

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #12 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 11:52am
Print Post  

Mate you could rent out the wee fella to hunters, very nice Jap roar.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
What's with dad hogging the rifle?

I fully understand 'dad' doing that - in such a 'heightened' situation things happen very fast and it takes a certain amount of strength, coordination and experience to pull off such a shot.
Totally flying by the seat of your pants there.

I changed from a 'righty' to a 'leftie' and while I don't remember it being particularly difficult - I do remember the practice I put in to make the change.
I basically followed the elephant hunter W.D. Bell's practice of 'snap sighting' at various objects whilst out hunting and at home my gun stood handily in the corner where I'd pick it up and 'snap sight' a distant chimney or similar - and I did that a lot.

Eventually muscle memory took over and it became something I didn't have to think anymore.

Picking when to pull the trigger in such a situation also came with that practice - when the sights stroked the target, you pulled and it became an instinctual thing - and you knew when you muffed it - you just knew.
You also knew the good shots.

I'd be double astonished to see a 10 yr old do that.

And such is the charm associated with bush hunting - the speed at which events unroll - the anticipation, adrenaline, the not quite knowing - and the buzz when it all comes together - there's no hunting comes close to it.

Strangely - I probably muffed more shots at distance on an unsuspecting animal - waiting for that perfect shot, then hesitating because you thought you might get a better one - then gone.
And watching Greg's shot on that 44" down south not so long ago had me on the edge of my seat - for god's sake shoot.
But what was that, 400 something yards - only once have I tried that, otherwise outside my experience.

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

Reply #14 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 7:33am
Print Post  

I had a suspicion it was you  Cool bloody awesome mate, your kids are legends, how the hell does a 7 yr old walk that far and then roar the stags up for the boys!! Good decision on not handing the rifle over, none of those stags were a good shot for a young fella and would of been guttered if he'd missed, hard enough for us as it is!

Best episode by far! hearing those single calls gave me chills  Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards