Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic reloading the 303 in 1940 (Read 629 times)
wanganuikid
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

reloading the 303 in 1940
Mar 6th, 2018 at 11:06am
Print Post  

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Re: reloading the 303 in 1940
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Interesting. Thanks for posting.
Didn't quite pick out where they necked the parallel cases down after inserting the cordite. I was of the belief that that was the process.
Loved the cross-eyed woman inspector and the seating press.  Smiley

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
really neat we video...... sure did have things running smoothly.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Enjoyed that video - very deja vue for me as I did an adult apprenticeship in Toolmaking and worked on setting up and making the tooling for almost identical machines - some close to 100 years old.

Long time ago now - so thanks for showing that.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
What a blast from the past
The case is necked down at almost the same moment the bullet is seated .
Necking down cases preloaded with cordite (in sticks) was a common practice , otherwise they wouldn't be able to fill the case  . I have pulled apart a  470 Nitro Express round to weigh the powder and found it was cordite so closely packed it was difficult to get out .

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Reply #5 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
I guess the place across the road from your old haunt would have run equipment much like that in the video Flintlock?

IP Logged

shooternz

Reply #6 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
The original .303 blackpowder load was done the same way they used a 70 grain compressed pellet of blackpowder, years ago some friends and i tried loading blackpowder .303's we had the 215 grain bullets but no way could we get 70 grains in the case, Flintlock will remember Shorty Campbell he worked at CAC though the war and told us how it was done, very interesting old fellow nothing we didn't know about .303's

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 7:07am
Print Post  
That, in a nutshell, displays my trade as a toolmaker, machine maker and gadget mechanic, but not in bullet making. I can remember CAC here in Auckland prior to its shutdown and knew some of the staff who showed me around a few times.
The Management was SO proper, English of course, to have a discussion with the factory production manager one needed to make an appointment with his secretary and etc etc, he had a women attendant to make his teas and prepare his lunch.
I had the same rank as he did, but without the add on females, pomp and ceremony although I did have a general dogs body who made the tea for all of us and cleaned up the machinery and kept the place tidy.
Thank you for showing that video.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 9:56am
Print Post  
noelfj wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 7:07am:
That, in a nutshell, displays my trade as a toolmaker, machine maker and gadget mechanic, but not in bullet making. I can remember CAC here in Auckland prior to its shutdown and knew some of the staff who showed me around a few times.
The Management was SO proper, English of course, to have a discussion with the factory production manager one needed to make an appointment with his secretary and etc etc, he had a women attendant to make his teas and prepare his lunch.
I had the same rank as he did, but without the add on females, pomp and ceremony although I did have a general dogs body who made the tea for all of us and cleaned up the machinery and kept the place tidy.
Thank you for showing that video.

Couldn't resist, I looked up your age - knew you had to be an old bugger.
I did my apprenticeship in Wellington with Ajax GKN starting 1970. They were also an English based company and as one of three Toolmakers, two old fellers with me being the new kid, we did indeed get privileges not accorded the rank and file.
I found it extremely hierachical - but not to the extent where I was accorded someone to make my tea or fight for my bikkies.
Was an interesting era, we had a blacksmith with his helper and his ability to thump a hot ingot around was something you had to watch to believe.
Also had a Filer - and that's all he did, filed the relief on dies and to watch him work was a study in absolute focus.

I hadn't thought of those days in years - watching that video brought it all back.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Getting a bit OT now but......

Reminds me of the time I worked in the railway workshops for a couple of years circa 1967. Despite all the shops’ inefficiencies they had some top quality tradesmen. Big blacksmith’s shop – hairy chests and black woollen singlets. Those guys were a class act.

The workshops also had a large tool room inhabited by the toolmakers, all old guys (well, they seemed old to a lad my age but probably only in their 50s) in grey dust coats. If we ever had to enter the tool room it was always with great reverence and were usually greeted with a “what do you want boy?” Inside the room was ultra clean IIRC.

The whole place was still very “British”. The Production Manager, who patrolled the shop floor, was always dressed in a pin stripe suite and tie. We never ever saw the big Manager, he never came  to our lowly patch - the shop floor.

Entry to the site was thru a big double doored gate way. When the 8 o’clock siren for work start sounded the double gates were closed (and stayed  closed throughout the workday) and the only entry was thru a man door in the gate. The pin striped gentleman waited on the inside and nabbed any late comers as the stepped thru the door way and their pays were docked.

IP Logged

Homer
Forum Font

Life's Short, Shoot Fast!!!

Reply #10 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for sharing Wanganui Kid.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

Lick the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity Just Once and You Will Suck For Life!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards