Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ruahine WARO areas and dates - roar planning (Read 1689 times)
stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Ruahine WARO areas and dates - roar planning
Mar 5th, 2018 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
We are trying to decide on a plan for the roar and wouldnít mind doing some tops exploring for stags but wonder if we will be wasting our time and should just stick to the bush.

What times during the year is WARO allowed to operate and what areas do they hit? Iíve been hearing lots of reports of very little deer about with gutbags everywhere and then the 1080 tops it off. Does anyone else have luck hunting ruahine tops in the roar?

Cheers.

Sako-Tikka-Lee Enfield-Franchi-Leupold-Black Labrador
YouTube  
IP Logged

30late

Taihape where men are
men and sheep are nervous

Re: Ruahine WARO areas and dates - roar planning
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 9:24am
Print Post  
As I understand it WARO is allowed in Ruahines from 1st may until November or December I think.
I too have heard reports of gutbags and very few deer about in the more open areas of the northern Ruahines, an am keen to get back in there to see for myself especially with the recent 1080 drop as well.
Still plenty of animals in the southern parts of the Ruahines, but I don't need to tell you that Grin.
Best of luck for the Roar though !!

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Can give you my spot if you keep it to yourself? pm me if you're keen.

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Ruahines had a hammering by helicopters up until the Closure on 31st November. deer should quietened down a bit, maybe
A lot were taken out.
Including the Nortwestern 1080 area, so that got dealt to twice.
The Closed blocks shouldn't have been touched so should still be ok

IP Logged

stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
RuahineRowan wrote on Mar 6th, 2018 at 11:38am:
Can give you my spot if you keep it to yourself? pm me if you're keen.

Absolutely, Iím not trying to suss spots. Just get advice so I can decide for myself 👍🏻

Sako-Tikka-Lee Enfield-Franchi-Leupold-Black Labrador
YouTube  
IP Logged

pope
Donor Member

SAVE A HORSE, ride a cow
girl

Reply #5 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
30late wrote on Mar 6th, 2018 at 9:24am:
As I understand it WARO is allowed in Ruahines from 1st may until November or December I think.
I too have heard reports of gutbags and very few deer about in the more open areas of the northern Ruahines, an am keen to get back in there to see for myself especially with the recent 1080 drop as well.
Still plenty of animals in the southern parts of the Ruahines, but I don't need to tell you that Grin.
Best of luck for the Roar though !!

i will be doing the same where i go ,to look and see for myself ,i"ll know more when i talk to one of the station hands on the effect of the 1080 drop
best of luck 30late

IP Logged

overweighthunter
Just Joined

Reply #6 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
no date limit for waro, they been shoot all year round for past 3 years easy with his truck parked on road side and chopper flying over farms and up onto the tops , even last week chopper pulled 18 off the western tops and took them into feilding. Local farmers say he up there most eeeks when fine. The chopper based in apiti been hounding all year long the western ruahines and southern no such thing as a closed waro season after doc renewed his waro licence . Just a waiting game until prices go down and blades stop turning so the tops get a spell.

IP Logged

overweighthunter
Just Joined

Reply #7 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
My understanding is that 3 waro doc cert operators in north island, one lower north island who does not use it too often , one based up gizzy way and a guy at apiti in a blue rob 44. Got vid from December 2017 up mangaweka tops having a bomb up. I was up there watching a bit annoyed after the slog in . If thereís anyone doubting this Iíll just video him on the road side dropping off the deer next to his small truck. All deer go back to feilding and he shoots north western down to south ruahines and tararuas unchallenged. He must have a good contact in doc to get a pretty exclusive run for central ni . Scrappy heads though from what Iíve seen when yarning with the truck boy

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
overweighthunter wrote on Mar 6th, 2018 at 2:33pm:
no date limit for waro, they been shoot all year round for past 3 years easy with his truck parked on road side and chopper flying over farms and up onto the tops , even last week chopper pulled 18 off the western tops and took them into feilding. Local farmers say he up there most eeeks when fine. The chopper based in apiti been hounding all year long the western ruahines and southern no such thing as a closed waro season after doc renewed his waro licence . Just a waiting game until prices go down and blades stop turning so the tops get a spell.

then why hasn't someone got proof and demanded that DOC investigate????
last video I saw on facebook bout that, ended up the person videoing the so called poaching, just disappeared, after causing a shit storm on a FB page

IP Logged

overweighthunter
Just Joined

Reply #9 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Funny thing , a farmer did ring doc to complain, a blind deaf  mouse could see what direction that went .

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
tell the cocky to email admin@lnirdf.org.nz
with details

we will take it up with DOC

been another report of it, which is being documented right now

If the proof isn't provided, in writing, don't expect much

IP Logged

pope
Donor Member

SAVE A HORSE, ride a cow
girl

Reply #11 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
good to see you taking some action there TH  Smiley

IP Logged

pope
Donor Member

SAVE A HORSE, ride a cow
girl

Reply #12 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
I've just sent off an inquiry to DOC over who are the current operators, for waro in the rua's, last year i asked for similar  info on waro but didnt get a reply ,i think the doc person i was writing to and on numerous occasions  i might add decided for what ever reason not to reply, and i did ask also about what was happening with the court action of the LNIRDF over waro permits

IP Logged

overweighthunter
Just Joined

Reply #13 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 8:53am
Print Post  
R

IP Logged

overweighthunter
Just Joined

Reply #14 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
if Your after facts and data then simple out in a official information request to the meat plant at feilding where the Ruahine veni goes through. Itís a public contract the choppa waro dude has.... or has not every wild deer he shoots in Ruahine is gps marked and that deer is reachable throughtvti the shipment out where ever. Doc also get this chopper data . As the chopper dude has a public licence as such the data is official records . Then with gps data of dates you will see they shoot all year the ruahines and Taraís

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #15 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
overweighthunter wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 3:33pm:
if Your after facts and data then simple out in a official information request to the meat plant at feilding where the Ruahine veni goes through. Itís a public contract the choppa waro dude has.... or has not every wild deer he shoots in Ruahine is gps marked and that deer is reachable throughtvti the shipment out where ever. Doc also get this chopper data . As the chopper dude has a public licence as such the data is official records . Then with gps data of dates you will see they shoot all year the ruahines and Taraís

You telling your "farmer" mate to come forward first sounds much easier.  Assess the information and go from there. There's a huge amount of work involved in your suggestion.

Cheers, Dan

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #16 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
I seem to recall from past experience youíll find the locations are still confidential as considered commercially sensitive? MPI, DOC etc can see them to ensure conditions of permit are met, but I donít think youíll be able to get them released otherwise. May be wrong.

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #17 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
overweighthunter wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 3:33pm:

1. that data is not available to the public, commercial sensitivity. we hve tried to access it before. DOC wont release it, for the same reason. we have no right to it

2. The meat processor is not legally allowed to recieve any carcasses taken from outside permitted areas. so if the Ruahines is being poached, the pilot cant sell it, unless that fudge the GPS - this can be done.

so that's not an option

and for a DOC to prosecute, actual witnesses aree needed. not neccearily photos, but sound evidence that an aircraft
-was actually hunting
-was identified
-when,
-where - actually doing it in closed areas

too many online/pub type gossip happens, that the witnesses wont take any further - or they never actually witnessed poaching, just "a helicopter"

so if you think your witness is legit, convince him to get in touch. I can provide a phone contact.

IP Logged

Marty Foote
Forum Senior

Reply #18 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Oscar wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 5:03pm:
I seem to recall from past experience youíll find the locations are still confidential as considered commercially sensitive? MPI, DOC etc can see them to ensure conditions of permit are met, but I donít think youíll be able to get them released otherwise. May be wrong.

OSPRI has tried the commercially sensitive argument to deny information. If you can argue that public interest outweighs any commercial sensitivity then the information can be released.

Sometimes the powers that be will accept a public interest argument if it makes sense, otherwise, a public interest ruling will need to be made by the Ombudsman.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #19 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
I fail to understand why all this information is not public knowledge. It should be a matter of public record simply from a health and safety aspect.

ďWe either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.Ē
IP Logged

pope
Donor Member

SAVE A HORSE, ride a cow
girl

Reply #20 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 10:43am
Print Post  
there are currently 5 operators authorised to carry out wild animal control in the ruahines

central helicopters
McNicholas aviation
Moar, Gary
Opotiki helicopters
Wairarapa helicopters
There are currently 3 blue R44s listed as approved aircraft across all of the above operators, i asked for the figures on the number of animals shot but doc didn't have that at time of writing
i asked if any of the approved operators were from apiti but i didn't get an answer to that maybe she just forgot

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #21 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
pope wrote on Mar 12th, 2018 at 10:43am:
there are currently 5 operators authorised to carry out wild animal control in the ruahines

central helicopters
McNicholas aviation
Moar, Gary
Opotiki helicopters
Wairarapa helicopters
There are currently 3 blue R44s listed as approved aircraft across all of the above operators, i asked for the figures on the number of animals shot but doc didn't have that at time of writing
i asked if any of the approved operators were from apiti but i didn't get an answer to that maybe she just forgot

Could wrong but I think the chap Moar is from that neck of the woods.

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards