Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic A seeping pod plus (Read 2391 times)
Von Gruff
Donor Member

A seeping pod plus
Mar 4th, 2018 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
A few weeks back I committed to doing a road trip fro here in South Otago up north as far as Keri Keri for Lynette to visit with her sons and siblings and then decided that I would combine it with an advertising trip to see if I can get some exposure here in NZ for my knives so have a few address to call in to on the way (so I can write the expenses off as  knifemaking advertising  costs)
As a way to cut expenses I decided that I would convert my trailor to a sleeping pod so we could use tentsites in the camping grounds aong with thier facilities rather than paying for motels etc so our costs will go down from $100-$140 a night to about $20 a night.
I I got some 1 1/2 x 3/4 and split it is I ended up with 1 1/2 x 5/16 and laminated 3 together to make a set of hoops as a base for the roof and then split the ends of the purlins so I could bend and alminate them down over the front of the hoops to make for a wind cutting front f the trailer to compiment what was already there.
I had built the trailer many years ago as a tool mobile shed to have all my building tools when I was working away from home and with 4 ft sides and a 11ft long floor I will have plenty of room for a doube bed even though it has a tapered front the mattress wil go neary a foot into the forepeak ans leave over 4 ft at the rear for changing clothes etc or the mattress can be stood up and secured against the side so we have the full floor space.
I have got all the roof boned out so all I have to do now is lay the felt covering and the tarpaulin over it and screw the hinged back window/shutter into place.

I will be going via Nelson, Blenhim, Hawera, Stratford,
Taupo and on up to Keri-Keri so if any of you have sugestions on where I might call in with an intent to show my knives I would be interested in hearing from you.

I got the handles on the last of the knvies I want to take with me as samples, except for two I want to do to finish my kitchen set. In this batch is a JT Ranger with swamp kauri, a large horse shoe rasp bowie with brass and bluegum, a skinner with buff horn and swam kauri (for me as I think I should have something with the swamp kauri on it before it all gets used for ordered knives) , an AH big game knife with buff horn and blackwood, a general hunter with jarrah and blackwood, a hunter skinner with jarrah and rimu, and the first two (of 4) in a kitchen set with the paring knife and a salami slicer both with anged jarrah bolsters and blackwood handles. The large kitchen slicer and a kitchen cleaver are yet to be done.

I did a short video today on how I do my knife handles when I have bolsters which I do first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW-ywJuN7BU&feature=youtu.be

The ability to do comes with doing

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Re: A seeping pod plus
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
I have nearly got all my sample knivs ready to take away on our road trip with just 4 left to do now but this is how they stand at the moment except this pic includes Joes new JT Ranger and a jarrah and rimu hunter skinner that I will make sheaths for next week and get packed up and sent away. I emailed Nic at the NZ Guns and Hunting magazine as I have sent numerous articles for publication over the years and am sending him the hunter skinner for field evaluation over the next few weeks as he has a roar hunt booked.  I will call in and see him on the road trip and we will discuss an  artical and advertising for 12 months in the magazine. Anyway this is the knives ready at present.

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
This is a few of the individual knives. A Wapiti hunter with walnut, a general purpose with buffalo horn and walnut and safari hunter with brass and zebrawood.

Two skinners with my new one with buffalon horn and swamp kauri and a standard blackwood one at the bottom.

A blackwood JT Ranger, a blackwood lion knife, and a jarrah pig sticker.

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
The top one is a hunter butcher with buffalo horn and blackwood and under it is the AH big game hunter again with buffalo horn and blackwood which is standard for these two knives.

At top is a fiddleback mapel hunter skinner and under it is the jarrah and rimu hunter skinner that is going to the NZ G&H mag for review, with a hickory general hunter at the bottom.

This one is a horse shoe rasp bowie because some time back it was sugested that I make one. It has brass and bluegum on a 7 inch blade.

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
This was a proof of concept trial of two knives of a 4 knife kitchen set with jarrah and blackwood. I am starting to like the jarrah bolsters almost more than the buffalo horn - maybe!!. I have some 12C27 stainless coming and will make these plus the large slicer and a cleaver to round out the set. I like the angled bolsters so will do that again but may make them a little longer on the larger knives so they retain the same length to depth ratio as the little paring knife.

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 4:15am
Print Post  
Great idea and build with the sleeping pod Von.
And the knives look awesome.  Cool

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

anotherhunter
Forum Senior

Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
very nice knives ! what steel are they ? good luck with your trip, i hope it goes well.

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
anotherhunter wrote on Mar 9th, 2018 at 7:30pm:
very nice knives ! what steel are they ? good luck with your trip, i hope it goes well.

They are all carbon steel in 15N20, 1075,1084 and 1095. I have some 12C27 sandvic stainless coming next week for te kitchen set.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
I looked at top photo and straightaway thought of a dingy..... once again awesome looking knives...it will be nice to see the tean at NZ Hunter using a decent blade for a change Wink

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 4:26pm:
I looked at top photo and straightaway thought of a dingy..... once again awesome looking knives...it will be nice to see the tean at NZ Hunter using a decent blade for a change Wink

It is Nic at NZ Guns and Hunting that I am sending the knife to in the morning after I have sharpened it.
I dont know the guys at NZ Hunter but if you have thier contact details I would be pleased to talk to them as well.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #10 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
pm Greg Duley...he hangs out on here and the other pub...they have posts in hunting section to remind us thier TV show is coming on....

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 3:54am
Print Post  
Willl do MD.

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Got this lot finished and sharpened this morning so that willl be about it till I get the kitchen set done.
From left to right is a skinner with kwila over jarrah, boner with rimu over jarrah, safari knife with rimu over brass, general hunter with myrtle, general hunter with maple over jarrah, safari knife with jarrah over zebrawood and a pig sticker with bluegum.

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
The 12C27 stainless arrived this morning so I cut out the kitchen set and with the tag end of a piece of 1095 I cut out what will be a stick tang Sgian Dhu which will be another first for that design.

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Have got the sleeping pod all sorted now. A couple of coats of new paint to tidy it over so today I thought to get the roof sorted.
https://i.imgur.com/aL0bbA4l.jpg1
I layed soft felt packing blankets (the trucking companies use them to protect goods in transit) and then stretched the tarpaulin over that. Had to do a couple of folds on the front corner to get round the curve but heavy grade foundation tape will keep it all in the desired position. Will run a 1 1/2 x 5/16 batton olong the side to ensure the bottom edge is held down firmly. I used all that I had on hand so will get another couple of lengths next time in the city.. At the moment it is just held with staples. Ran a light batton over the rear and at the front to give the tarp a full perimeter hold down.

Back to the knives tomorrow as I have a JT Ranger and a Sgian Dubh to finish after heat treating today.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards