Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Aus Heli Culling discussion. (Read 1702 times)
recurveaddict
Donor Member

Re: Aus Heli Culling discussion.
Reply #15 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 7:55am
Print Post  
i figured that horses are cute and deer are not.

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #16 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 8:44am
Print Post  
that's what happened with the kaimanawa horses.
Horse people have more political clout than hunters
(same as with cat owners Roll Eyes)

IP Logged

Ackley

Reply #17 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 9:27am
Print Post  
TH we need a like button Grin Grin

IP Logged

Rees

LiveIIHunt

Reply #18 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 9:39am
Print Post  
oh Triallls,  I didn't know this.

interesting but good too see some Aussies chime in

IP Logged

Marty Foote
Forum Senior

Reply #19 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Tararua Hunter wrote on Mar 6th, 2018 at 8:44am:

The difference with the Kaimanawa horses is that they were at what DOC deemed the low limit of what was a genetically stable population (300 horses) and below 300 the herd was considered genetically not viable. Combine this with the fact that thousands of sheep and cattle had been grazed over the area and the horses were blamed for ALL the damage caused by ALL the grazing animals.

DOC was still wanting to continue with the musters knowing that the numbers would drop well below 300 and the decision to eradicate the horses could be made based on the fact that the herd size was too small and inbreeding, causing genetic problems, would start happening.

The Kaimanawa situation is not quite the same as the Aussie situation, being talked about here, even if DOC supporters would like to make comparisons.

IP Logged

Skinny 35
Forum Font

Reply #20 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Shit Marty you are like a Lab with a bone!!! Grin Smiley

Don't forget where you came from!
Life....It's not a dress rehearsal!

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #21 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Marty Foote wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 3:28pm:
Tararua Hunter wrote on Mar 6th, 2018 at 8:44am:

The difference with the Kaimanawa horses is that they were at what DOC deemed the low limit of what was a genetically stable population (300 horses) and below 300 the herd was considered genetically not viable. Combine this with the fact that thousands of sheep and cattle had been grazed over the area and the horses were blamed for ALL the damage caused by ALL the grazing animals.

DOC was still wanting to continue with the musters knowing that the numbers would drop well below 300 and the decision to eradicate the horses could be made based on the fact that the herd size was too small and inbreeding, causing genetic problems, would start happening.

The Kaimanawa situation is not quite the same as the Aussie situation, being talked about here, even if DOC supporters would like to make comparisons.

Jeeze, marty. Don't you ever give the soap box a rest
You've missed the point, yet again
it was simply comparing the publics reaction to culling horses versus deer.
Nothing else

IP Logged

Marty Foote
Forum Senior

Reply #22 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
As far as Lou Sanson, Eugene Sage, Forest & Bird, etc are concerned there is no difference between deer, thar, chamois  and horses, goats, pigs, possums, stoats, ferrets, rats, hedgehogs, etc. They are all labelled as introduced animals to be eradicated.

Deer hunters could learn a lesson from the Kaimanawa horse battle, as it was not the public perception of horses that saved the Kaimanawa herd, it was the legalities of DOC breaking a signed legal agreement, about the protection of the Kaimanawa herd, using false information and deliberately corrupt actions to justify the eradication.

It was at the very last minute, after a very nasty fight, during which the DOC manager in charge was stood down, that DOC backed down and totally committed to the legal protection of the Kaimanawa horse herd. Much the same designation as a Deer Herd of National Significance that DOC refuses to implement on any deer herds.

The excuse that it all takes time is a load of bollocks. Look at how quickly Nick Smith could change the 1080 poisoning law to help DOC evade public consultation and input into aerial 1080 operations.

On many of the threads there are many sensible and credible posts that are calling for a united front when facing DOC about their wild animal policies.

While recreational deer hunters think they are getting special treatment, they are doing nothing more than burying their heads in the sand. While this action might feel comfortable, as you cannot actually see what is going on, the back end of your anatomy is poking up in the air, just waiting to get kicked and, you should have no doubt, that Lou Sanson and Eugene Sage will have no hesitation in doing the kicking when they deem the time is right.

You Aussies should look and learn from your Kiwi counterparts, who have sat back and complained instead of being proactive and forcing a legally binding agreement with the government.

You Aussies have an opportunity that Kiwi hunters did forgo, you should make sure that you are an intrical part of the herd management right from the beginning.

I would be very worried that NZ people are involved in the management decisions, particularly, if they have worked for DOC or any of our scientific outfits, as they will publicly state things that they will renege on when the time is right.

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #23 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 5:43am
Print Post  
Yawn..
I'm out of this thread

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards