Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) DOC renege on promised review of WARO (Read 6681 times)
Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

DOC renege on promised review of WARO
Feb 27th, 2018 at 9:22am
Print Post  
DOC recently held limited meetings in Palmerston North, Wanaka and Christchurch as part of the so called “consultation” about the next lot of WARO permit renewals

In the last 2 NZDA national conferences,  DOC promised that there would be a full review of the WARO permitting system, to look a “long term integrated sustainable management approach”…and How “everyones needs are recognised and accommodated in a manner that is acceptable to all parties”

NZDA and LNIRDF reps attended these meetings and the expectation was, that we would be discussing the planned review

Instead, we were told the review was off, and it turned out to be just a lecture on the permit system and the WARO operators telling us how hard done by they are, with meat processing restrictions, 1080 blah blah

The out come was, that Doc concluded the meetings indicated the current permit system “was working well”.

What is obvious, that a few dollars more has made the commercial guys happy and they have convinced DOC that a review isn’t needed.  That will be until the easy animals have been taken, and the profitability goes back down. WARO are clearly threatened by any review that looks at game management and sustainability of hunting.

Its yet another cycle of the boom and bust feral venison industry, which will no doubt collapse again,

Quote:
An item has been published on the LNIRDF website. here
https://www.lnirdf.org.nz/blog/778319

Looks like another battle, to get DOC to meet its previous commitments to a full review.
The Game Animal Council boycotted the meetings because of the backdown, and in hindsight, so should have recreational hunters. The GAC are doing what they about this, but their Minister is also DOCs, so it wont be easy for them

Unfortunately, there doesn’t appear to be a strong reaction from the NZDA to what amounts to a betrayal of hunters.

The promised review was also part of DOC defence in our High Court challenge the LNIRDF took against DOC, and we are looking at what legal action we could take. Seems DOC will only listen when the prospect of being taken to court

This issue will affect All hunters of Conservation lands where WARO occurs.
And don’t think that the RHAs and other Closed areas will be exempt. WARO have been lobbying to get into these for years, and without the likes of Peter Dunne in the government, it could happen. Especially with the current Minister of Conservation

We are already faced with getting the Closure of blocks that had been previously closed to WARO for 50 years, but were opened by DOC . (that’s why the High Court challenge)

A further round of "consultation" will occur shortly, when actual land areas allocated to WARO (or excluded) will be decided. That's going to be a bit of an argument to get the reopened areas, back into Closed status. Let alone any further restrictions on WARO

Want  better deer management?

write to the Minister of Conservation at
E.Sage@ministers.govt.nz

and tell her what you think about DOCs betrayal

and Join the LNIRDF.  Smiley
https://www.lnirdf.org.nz/page/504133

« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2018 at 4:54am by Tararua Hunter »  

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Re: DOC renege on promised review of WARO
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 9:40am
Print Post  
Wonder if you have a broad outline or proposal for a sustainable solution that would suit all parties. What is the general idea that would make such a goal workable.

You've probably outlined it before in other threads but I need reminding. 

Would the idea be to limit the number of WARO operators? Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 9:42am
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Feb 27th, 2018 at 9:40am:
Wonder if you have a broad outline or proposal for a sustainable solution that would suit all parties. What is the general idea that would make such a goal workable.

You've probably outlined it before in other threads but I need reminding.  Smiley

will find it, Headcase. GAC prepared a detailed proposal for DOC a while back, to (it was ignored)

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Seems extraordinary to me that DoC can allow a significantly more permissive WARO regime pretty much 'anywhere' without any real effort to concentrate that activity where biodiversity threats are greatest?

Just because a handy place has lots of deer it does not automatically translate into conservation gains if those deer are removed?

Would also be interesting to know if this approach from DoC is on instruction from the new Minister, or whether it was in train prior to her appointment?

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 11:15am
Print Post  
What is being promoted

Quote:
This is mainly extracts from the GAC proposal for a reviewed WARO system
This is extracts  from the Game Animal Council proposal for a new WARP permitting system, which pretty well sums up the type of WARO /deer management system we think is needed
1.      Enhance the quality of game animal herds while remaining consistent with conservation values.
2.      Hunting areas should be large enough to support a single efficient operator
3.      Exclusive rights to a single operator in individual areas
4.      Minimum harvest requirements specified to meet conservation objectives
5.      Harvest requirements that address recreational hunter’s needs to some degree.
6.      Allow specification of age and sex of harvested deer in specific locations.
7.      The proposed regime will allow for recreational hunting interests to be addressed through the specification of commercial hunting in both time and place and also by species, age or sex. Recreational and commercial hunting should be complementary not conflicting.
8.      Recreational Hunters harvest more deer, more species of deer and a more consistent harvest irrespective of price, yet their interests are basically not taken into account within the existing regime. Current roar closures only remove the social conflict for a very short period and do not address the management of deer for both recreational and commercial hunting
The GAC proposal allows for sex ratios to be harvested built into permits, providing better management of stags and improved control through taking of mainly hinds

A basic principle of the LNIRDF is that where deer are adequately managed by recreational hunting, WARO is restricted or excluded  ie WARO is restricted to winter only operations. (or totally excluded in some catchments)
This  policy will be reviewed in the current Ruahine Deer Plan development - hopefully not for the worse

The NZDA also have a similar aim, in that rec hunting is the "main management tool" for deer control.

This is what we would have been lobbying for in the planned review.

Now its up to hunters to convince DOC and the Minister of Conservation that the current WARO system isn't as rosy as DOC portrays, and it needs changing.

This means having your say

Otherwise, don't moan when your find your hunting has been affected by WARO.

It remains to be seen, if the countrys hunter rec representitive' (NZDA) will front up

IP Logged

outdoorlad
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Very disappointing to hear TH but I guess not surprising given DOC's track record, putting the "Con" in conservation.

hopefully you can legally drag them into line?

IP Logged

steveg1
Just Joined

Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Does this amount to "Contempt of Court"?

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Surely to goodness all branches of NZDA in the areas of high population close to the ranges, should push the association's National Executive to get off their butts and do something.  All members of branch committees who read this thread should also perhaps pull finger.

The fraternity of shooters is rather like the fraternity of blind men -- each one walks alone.&&: Ian Niall.

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Section 3 from the Conservation General Policy is below.

Can't help but wonder how the conduct of DoC with respect to this WARO fiasco aligns with this?  Shocked

POLICIES

3 Public Participation in Conservation Management

3 (a) Relationships should be developed with people and organisations interested in public conservation lands and waters, to enhance conservation. These relationships should be based on mutual good faith, cooperation and respect.
3 (b) Partnerships may be developed with people and organisations to enhance conservation.
3 (c) Agreements may be negotiated and implemented to support relationships and partnerships.
3 (d) People and organisations interested in public conservation lands and waters will be consulted when statutory planning documents
are developed.
3 (e) People and organisations interested in public conservation lands and waters should be consulted on specific proposals that have significance for them.
3 (f) People and organisations should be encouraged to participate in conservation and may be supported with information and technical advice where this increases their relevant skills and their understanding of conservation.
3 (g) Education and information should be provided to promote awareness and active support for conservation.

IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
There are those that truly believe that if you play DOC's game,discuss,be nice, etc then you will get results?
I and others have had a bit of stick  Roll Eyes in the past because I intend ti put DOC down.
They have been naughty little rascals of late,Molsworth,this and other adventures.
My Question is...........when are certain people going ti wake up?
For the Gods sake guys...they don't want deer etc running around anywhere,their dream is to have none  Smiley

Wrinkles are the map of your soulful journey,,,you'd be lost without them,,

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Sadly this is not surprising to me - DOC have ruled the roost here for a very long time.

And nothing will change until hunter's find a voice.

I'm a member of NZDA - and while expectations are that they be the 'voice', reading on this forum indicates they are treading the fine line between doing what they believe achievable and what is not.

I am on the edge of being a retired hunter, but the outdoors has been a big part of my life and I feel the need that continuing generations can experience what I have.

To that end I am very prepared to add my voice and money to any organisation, whether that be GAC or someone else who can develop the teeth to have meaningful input in such matters as this.

And something does need to be done for we are looking at 'Pest free NZ by 2050'.
And almost regardless of what classification you think deer, tahr and the others are - to DOC they are a pest.

IP Logged

Horse
Forum Senior

Reply #11 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
As a NZDA member I’m disappointed they don’t make more political noise. However some branches I understand are active with the LNIRDF.
I encourage all hunters to join.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Not a lot of interest in this, or so it would appear.

There are many groups out there fighting our battles, but they are fragmented or concerned with a particular sector - and I hardly know any of them.
I had to look up LNIRDF - and I shouldn't have had to, I have a memory TH was involved in a court case with them and DOC not so long back.

We have short memories, or have concern for only what is happening in our neck of the woods - and that is where we are going to lose it.

And perhaps we deserve to - DOC has our measure.

IP Logged

Backcountry Bob
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
While it's disappointing that DOC has decided against a review I wonder how significent WARO activity is nationally.

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #14 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Backcountry Bob wrote on Feb 27th, 2018 at 8:16pm:
While it's disappointing that DOC has decided against a review I wonder how significent WARO activity is nationally.

very, BB
If you hunt land that's open to WARO
and if it isn't now, it will be
more wanna bee's are trying to get into the business.
Stags are being targeted, so the impact (on shooting stags) can eventually be significant
The price seems stable, and is enough for these guys to operate -
There might be some disappointed hunters during the Roar

Typically, the WARo downturn led to hunters being complacent, and thinking "theres enough deer for everyone"

But its more than just that, its about getting recognition for the sustainable management of deer - and a recognition of the role of rec hunters in deer management
Something that's been sought by hunters for a very long time.
WARo has its place, but not at the expense of reasonable expectations of hunters

The bush hobbits might thinks "they don't get them all', which is dumb. Of course they don't
But if you want to hunt the highcountry of the north and south island, the day might come when its no better than it was in the 1980s. and what about the new hunters? they will find it a lot more difficult as well

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards