Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) 9 Wapiti (Read 18981 times)
gonehuntin
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: 9 Wapiti
Reply #15 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
also heard this about multiple young bulls shot but no number mentioned but was told a local guy had been paid to take them in, whether that ment drop off pickup or guided I do not know.

was a couple of kiwi guys in there at the same time for a couple of weeks staking out a big boy and were succesful but was a well earned and mature trophy very high DS they watched and filmed for many days before taking it.

IP Logged

Huntdeepsouth
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #16 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 7:13am
Print Post  
A mate of mine took the 2 kiwi guys in gonehunting and they did shoot a mature trophy that they watched and videoed, they also took a video of the aussie guys and there guide shooting an immature wap bull

IP Logged

outdoorlad
Forum Font

Reply #17 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 7:51am
Print Post  
Huntdeepsouth wrote on Feb 20th, 2018 at 7:13am:
A mate of mine took the 2 kiwi guys in gonehunting and they did shoot a mature trophy that they watched and videoed, they also took a video of the aussie guys and there guide shooting an immature wap bull

Well done to them, Any chance of seeing a photo/video of that big bull?

They should pass the other video onto the FWF & the guide should be outed.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #18 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 8:13am
Print Post  
well to tell you the truth,,having been in the heart of the area and seen quite a number of reds even with the waro going on then a few animals been shot is no big deal,,just leaves more tucker for the cunning old bulls,,i believe more animals should be shot in there a la colin davey theory
how come the last 50 inches was shot when the area held a very low population??????

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

wapiti1
Just Joined

Reply #19 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 8:14am
Print Post  
I thought the core wapiti area was supposed to be closed from the 1st of Feb? Any guide or operator would know this.

Bit of a lark if Kiwis that draw a ballot and foot the expense of donations,  travel etc, Spend 10 days walking past a heap of cracking young animals. Then read that those young Bulls may have been cleaned up by someone pre bugle and that someone profited from it.

I for one have been very lucky with the ballot system.
But I know guys that have not, and have read of plenty guys on this forum that have not.

I have received flak on this forum when suggesting this in the past. "Why the hell would you let international people enter the ballot" Its madness.

Its the same with the Thar Ballot.  The current demand for blocks from NZ hunters far out ways supply.

Is this political correctness gone mad? or am I just being a selfish bastard?

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #20 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 8:27am
Print Post  
wapiti 1 the kiwi guys I know of were in there the last 2 weeks of january, if the filmed the aussies at same time as above comment suggests then it was all legit.

IP Logged

Old School
Forum Senior

Reply #21 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Being Australians theres a big chance the story was Bull Shit..

IP Logged

tw
Donor Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #22 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Out of curiosity, is there a guesstimate of the numbers of good blooded wapiti in the park?

IP Logged

allroundslayer

Reply #23 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 10:30am
Print Post  
I went to a deer stalkers meeting late last year and there was a lot of talk about aussies doing a lot of no good in the wap blocks one guy showed a photo of a bunch of aussies who had had a big bomb up all standing there with a heap of heads in front on then thinking they were heroes !! all young animals. I think they had said to someone it was a once in a life time trip so did not care about looking after our herd  Angry Angry because they were never coming back, bloody tossers!!! There was a lot of talk at the meeting about something needing to change with the ballots and overseas interests in the ballot it is only going to get a lot more pressure as time goes on.

IP Logged

Deer hunter Duck Shooter

Reply #24 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 10:36am
Print Post  
I bet they shot them underarm

IP Logged

recurveaddict
Donor Member

Reply #25 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
As an Aussie I'm disappointed in the actions of some of my countrymen, but there is poor natured folk amongst any crowd.

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #26 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Hearing this all too often regarding Aussy hunters unfortunately. I know that there are good and bad everywhere but this thread is getting a bit too common. There should be no one in there pre rut IMO. We should definitely be charging more to overseas hunters and some of that should be going in to more policing.

IP Logged

Southstag

Reply #27 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
I have seen a photo on instagram of a female aussie hunter with a  pretty young looking 12, taken from the Glaisnock by the looks of it. 

I agree with others that there needs to be a change on the Ballot applications for all tahr/roar ballots, residents only.

IP Logged

wazza56
Forum Font

Reply #28 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Southstag wrote on Feb 20th, 2018 at 7:20pm:
I have seen a photo on instagram of a female aussie hunter with a  pretty young looking 12, taken from the Glaisnock by the looks of it. 

I agree with others that there needs to be a change on the Ballot applications for all tahr/roar ballots, residents only.

So you never want to hunt overseas?

Keep your barrel clean and your powder dry

IP Logged

Southstag

Reply #29 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Never said I didn’t want to hunt over seas, although I think I would be more than happy if I only got to hunt the southern alps and wouldn’t be put out at all if locals abroad had preference over non residents either.  And I have no issue with any non residents coming to hunt doc land out of the ballot periods, but stand by the idea of residents only on ballots.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards