Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) 9 Wapiti (Read 17354 times)
GRYPHON
Forum Senior

Re: 9 Wapiti
Reply #120 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Whinge whinge..there is a video getting around of a few kiwis with 4-5 sambar heads taken on the one trip in Oz.

They didn't take the meat out either.

<div style=

IP Logged

boomstick.
Donor Member

born to hunt, forced 2
work

Reply #121 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
GRYPHON wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 8:36pm:
Whinge whinge..there is a video getting around of a few kiwis with 4-5 sambar heads taken on the one trip in Oz.

They didn't take the meat out either.

What's the state of your Sambar herd compared to the state of our Wapiti herd Gryphon

fishing sure beats working,, i love animals,they're delicious

IP Logged

GRYPHON
Forum Senior

Reply #122 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 4:20am
Print Post  
Isn't it more a question of the state of the hybrid herd?
Are there REALLY 100% full blood Wapiti down there.I do have all of D.B.B`s books as reference and its tough to remember when was  the last time I saw a photo of a bull that looked like any in his books that had been of recent vintage (colour/conformation/shape etc) Has there been a ridgy didge 100 per center bull show up in a photo taken in the last dozen years or are these blokes shooting hybrids?

<div style=

IP Logged

ashfishman
Donor Member

Always ready to learn

Reply #123 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 8:26am
Print Post  
That"s the point of the FWF control program.
\Too many shite bloodlines so they're controlling through selective culling, especially in the core areas.
Without their contribution and control program, there would be no Wapiti hunting in NZ inside of 20 years.
Without them, nada.  With them, a magnificent herd of as- close-to-wap-as-possible and a hunting opportunity that's unique, challenging and potentially rewarding for the lucky, skilful, diligent and adventurous hunter.

IP Logged

Rees

LiveIIHunt

Reply #124 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Sounds like we need a few more Kiwis over to Wack them Brown Deer in our National Parks Wink

Our Sambar V Fiord Waps    No real comparison , just yet TBH.

IP Logged

Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Reply #125 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
ashfishman wrote on Mar 6th, 2018 at 8:26am:
That"s the point of the FWF control program.
\Too many shite bloodlines so they're controlling through selective culling, especially in the core areas.
Without their contribution and control program, there would be no Wapiti hunting in NZ inside of 20 years.
Without them, nada.  With them, a magnificent herd of as- close-to-wap-as-possible and a hunting opportunity that's unique, challenging and potentially rewarding for the lucky, skilful, diligent and adventurous hunter.

Surely every mature trophy Wapiti looking bull is gold then and any shot is a nail in the coffin for the heard!
Me thinks it is time for preserving these animals and only culling allowed of inferior beasts for next five years!

IP Logged

GRYPHON
Forum Senior

Reply #126 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Me thinks it is time for preserving these animals and only culling allowed of inferior beasts for next five years!

x2

<div style=

IP Logged

anotherhunter
Forum Senior

Reply #127 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
have a read of this,it explains why leaving young stags ,and shooting cows and old stags is the way to go.
http://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/Documents/Quality-Deer-Management.pdf

IP Logged

Skinny 35
Forum Font

Reply #128 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
GRYPHON wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 1:56pm:

x2

You win a ballot and listen to the Bulls bugling in the Glaisnock and then see if you aren’t tempted to bowl one over???!!!

Don't forget where you came from!
Life....It's not a dress rehearsal!

IP Logged

GRYPHON
Forum Senior

Reply #129 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
What? One with four points?

<div style=

IP Logged

Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Reply #130 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
I don't put in for the ballot in vulnerable heard areas for that reason...I get sick of seeing people who go in there (TV hunting shows included) go on about people doing there bit when the only way anyone can do there bit is to leave them alone to breed in peace. Shooting big bulls has absolute no benefit to anyone but the hunter!

IP Logged

Skinny 35
Forum Font

Reply #131 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
GRYPHON wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 8:14pm:
What? One with four points?

Like I said... go in there? Have you?

IP Logged

Skinny 35
Forum Font

Reply #132 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Deer Whisperer wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 8:14pm:
I don't put in for the ballot in vulnerable heard areas for that reason...I get sick of seeing people who go in there (TV hunting shows included) go on about people doing there bit when the only way anyone can do there bit is to leave them alone to breed in peace. Shooting big bulls has absolute no benefit to anyone but the hunter!

How many mature aged Bulls do you think are roaming around in there? If everyone didn’t shoot the juveniles it wouldn’t matter if a few old ones were shot surely?

IP Logged

Lou Nunn
Donor Member

Reply #133 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 10:00am
Print Post  

Wrong in so many ways, leave them alone and Red blood will totally destroy the Wapiti blood lines, the chance of shooting  big old Bulls is why the ballot is so popular and the reason the FWF has funds to manage the herd at all (so not only the hunter benefits the herd does as well, Heli culling of reds costs money), meaning without the FWF and the chance to shoot big bulls there wouldnt even be a vulnerable herd for you to "not put in for"

IP Logged

Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Reply #134 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
Lou Nunn wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 10:00am:

Wrong in so many ways, leave them alone and Red blood will totally destroy the Wapiti blood lines, the chance of shooting  big old Bulls is why the ballot is so popular and the reason the FWF has funds to manage the herd at all (so not only the hunter benefits the herd does as well, Heli culling of reds costs money), meaning without the FWF and the chance to shoot big bulls there wouldnt even be a vulnerable herd for you to "not put in for"

You miss my point big time...I'm for hunting Red bloodlines and inferior bulls...no amount of $$$ will save the heard if hunters are targeting the bulls needed to save the heard and leaving the ones that you don't want to breed...I don't think hunters are entering the ballot to give back and donate....they are there to shoot a beast in prime time!...justify away all you want but you wont convince me the ballot is a way of saving the heard...if they are so vulnerable stop shooting the buggers....it's pretty simple stuff really....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards