Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) 9 Wapiti (Read 15358 times)
wapiti1
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

9 Wapiti
Feb 19th, 2018 at 7:52am
Print Post  
I was speaking to a respected prominent shop owner in the weekend who earlier in the week had an Australian hunting party in his shop. The mix group of both Male and Females were boasting they had just been hunting in Fiordland and had shot 9 wapiti.

The shop owner was too disgusted to continue the conversation with them, so where they were or how they got there is un known.

It would be interesting if anyone else crossed paths with this group? If it is in fact correct that they shot 9 Wapiti then its disgraceful.

IP Logged

i_e
Forum Senior

Re: 9 Wapiti
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Iím on the larger Aussie hunting forums and nothing like that has been posted yet but Iíll keep an eye out .

I have to say though that it wonít be just me giving the poster an absolute gob full , thereíll be plenty of others online horrified also !!

Ie

alcohol doesn't agree with me , but i sure do enjoy the argument!

IP Logged

ashfishman
Donor Member

Always ready to learn

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Been in to the Wapiti areas a number of times and have never fired a shot at a Wapiti.
Can't imagine why any group would kill 9 of them.
I just look at them and think "Do I really want to taste Wapiti that bad that I would waste so much meat" as the buggers are huge and, as a solo hunter, I'd need to be in there for a month to finish a back leg.
Met a group of Aussies in a hut once that had shot a 9 or 10"  bull, taken just the pitiful head and then gotten lippy with me when I wouldn't share the meat I'd taken off a juvenile nanny.   Apparently it was "too hard" to take some meat.
They got a mouthful, not of meat.
Sheer ignorance.

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 10:57am
Print Post  
I have heard there were two guides taking Aussies in and they have shot a number of young animals, immature bulls/stags this year (January). I have been told by two people totally separate of one another that this occurred - it may be just the bush telegraph running rife, or maybe some legitimacy in the stories. If the latter is the case, it's a bit disappointing.

IP Logged

outdoorlad
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:41am
Print Post  
If it's true, what a bunch of wankers!

@JoshC, were they Nz guides? They would need a concession to guide in the FN Park?

IP Logged

Dangershaw

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
outdoorlad wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:41am:
They would need a concession to guide in the FN Park?

On a side note - Even with a concession, they'd be unable to guide within the Glaisnock Wilderness Zone (where I hear that this all went down), given that no commercial activity may take place here. 

We were all fired up about filming an episode for our new Hunters Club series in there this year but now have to change our plans, which is pretty gutting, although not as gutting as hearing about a bunch of Aussies culling immature Wapiti for no good reason.

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
I guees they couldv just shot one and taken all the meat,but that would be too hard to carry amongst auzzies. Angry

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
If it's true, what a bunch of wankers!

@JoshC, were they Nz guides? They would need a concession to guide in the FN Park?

Sorry I don't know, all I know is what I wrote above.

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
From my observations we aren't short of applications for a block, someone correct me if I am wrong?

As arguably the Southern Hemispheres top hunting experience how about foreigners front up $10,000 or more should they successful.  Otherwise what benefit is there in having them throw their hat in the ring?

If the economics are such that we rely on foreign money at the current rate I would retract the above comment otherwise... bugga em.

Dan

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
LOVETT wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 1:40pm:
From my observations we aren't short of applications for a block, someone correct me if I am wrong?

As arguably the Southern Hemispheres top hunting experience how about foreigners front up $10,000 or more should they successful.† Otherwise what benefit is there in having them throw their hat in the ring?

If the economics are such that we rely on foreign money at the current rate I would retract the above comment otherwise... bugga em.

Dan† †

I would agree.

It is also an attitude that is bred through continuous unsuccessful applications. Those who continuously miss the ballot will go in outside the ballot and shoot something because they might never get the opportunity otherwise. Or when it has taken someone 10 years to be successful then they might not fancy the idea of missing out for another 10 years to get the opportunity again. That is an attitude being developed in a lot of hunters when they watch others continue to get blocks including foreigners and yet they continue to miss out.

I donít know much about the ballot but perhaps the system needs to share the love and avoid developing this culture? If one applicant has been successful 6 times in the last 10 years and another has missed out for 10 years in a row then why should that first applicant get a block?

Just a thought.

Sako-Tikka-Howa-Lee Enfield-Franchi-Vortex-Leupold-Black Labrador
YouTube  
IP Logged

stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
On topic however. 9 Wapiti. What the heck would anyone do with 9 Wapiti?

Sako-Tikka-Howa-Lee Enfield-Franchi-Vortex-Leupold-Black Labrador
YouTube  
IP Logged

outdoorlad
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Dangershaw wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 12:01pm:
They would need a concession to guide in the FN Park?

On a side note - Even with a concession, they'd be unable to guide within the Glaisnock Wilderness Zone (where I hear that this all went down), given that no commercial activity may take place here.†

We were all fired up about filming an episode for our new Hunters Club series in there this year but now have to change our plans, which is pretty gutting, although not as gutting as hearing about a bunch of Aussies culling immature Wapiti for no good reason.

That's a shame you guys won't be doing an episode. do you know if the FWF know about this carry on?

This is Another reason why foreign hunter access to places like this, wakatipu whitetail herd & the Tahr blocks etc should be tightly controlled/restricted.

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #12 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
stagstalker wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 2:26pm:
LOVETT wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 1:40pm:

As arguably the Southern Hemispheres top hunting experience how about foreigners front up $10,000 or more should they successful.† Otherwise what benefit is there in having them throw their hat in the ring?

Dan† †

I would agree.

It is also an attitude that is bred through continuous unsuccessful applications. Those who continuously miss the ballot will go in outside the ballot and shoot something because they might never get the opportunity otherwise. Or when it has taken someone 10 years to be successful then they might not fancy the idea of missing out for another 10 years to get the opportunity again. That is an attitude being developed in a lot of hunters when they watch others continue to get blocks including foreigners and yet they continue to miss out.

Yeah, its a form of the "Everyone gets a medal" culture. A form of narcissm perhaps. Me, me, me.

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

Bos
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Trout wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 12:21pm:
I guees they couldv just shot one and taken all the meat,but that would be too hard to carry amongst auzzies. Angry

No Surprises there
Angry

IP Logged

Will19
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
I follow a reasonably well known hunting guide on social media who has worn a lot of stick on this. He put up his side of the story a couple of nights ago, went something along the lines of he took in a group of three guys (cant remember if they were aussies or not), and they took one 10 pt wap that was missing bey tines. Head was taken out for mounting and some meat taken. He's been getting a fair bit of shit for supposedly guiding a bunch of aussies who knocked over some spikers and immature waps, but he wasn't involved. Every chance there were other hunting guides in there that were invloved. Not saying this guys word is gospel, but thought id share it on here as some of you more experienced folk (see old bastards) may not be all up to date on the ole social media.
Cheers, Will

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards