Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Homemade Kontiki - West Coast Help (Read 929 times)
Zac
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Homemade Kontiki - West Coast Help
Feb 17th, 2018 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Hi guys, so I have just returned from my kontiki's maiden voyage on the west coast.

Been home built, 46lb motor, electronic timer, electronic adjustable rudder (not GPS yet).

For the first time out it went well. Was water tight and had plenty of get up and go.

My brother and took her out to Ruapuke on the south end this morning. After 2 hours of trying to get her out we spent our battery life and patience.
Granted the it was rather rough, and set face was about 2m, we simply couldnt get it out past the breakers without a wave broadsiding and sending the konitki on a bee line parallel with the beach or straight back to us.

We tried applying drag to the line to pull the rear end around to straighten her up, tried sending her out at and angle to the beach to allow for some current drift, sent her out in some rips but simply couldnt get past the last set of breakers into calmer water.

As a newbie, was this simply to rough to send out? I thought about GPS guidance, but really the way it was getting chucked around out there, I really dont think it would have made a difference.

I've no doubt I could set her out on Waihi beach or Papamoa with relative ease (providing its not too rough), but as for the west coast, are there any tips and tricks?

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Homemade Kontiki - West Coast Help
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
I has observed this behavior with kontikis and it was for this reason went to kite fishing.
However I did a bit of mucking around with radio controlled decoys using little submerged electric motors, running wet and without any special add ons. these little motors worked very well wet.
What I did, was to have a forward/aft motor at the rear and contained in a bit of plastic tube, for forward and reverse, and a bow thruster for steerage mounted again in a bit of tube, this being set at right angles. It all worked a treat.

So I am thinking that a second motor, mounted as a stern thruster instead as a bow thruster might work.
Better perhaps a second thruster providing thrust but rotating like an outboard.

You could consider a radio compass feed back to your controller showing you hull line and comparing it to the direction required, thus enabling manual corrections in the same manner as I controlled my decoys but, instead of an electronic feedback, using line of sight, or some of the many other electronic gadgets available.
Another way to view this would be to consider the idea as a powered rudder.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2018 at 6:48am by noelfj »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards