Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic If you could buy any scope, what would it be? (Read 3118 times)
Backcountry Bob
Donor Member

Re: If you could buy any scope, what would it be?
Reply #15 - May 2nd, 2018 at 7:23am
Print Post  
Yes I've had a good run out of Tascos over the years. On a light recoiling rifle and in the undemanding conditions that I like to hunt in they are fine.

IP Logged

Gerry Atric
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #16 - May 4th, 2018 at 8:15am
Print Post  
I could buy a Tasco scope if they made them in Japan again, the World Class, World Class Plus and target scopes were decent for the era.

Gerry Atric

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #17 - May 4th, 2018 at 8:31am
Print Post  
I still have my tasco 4 X 40 that came on top of my first rifle, a model 2 brno I bought about 30 years ago.  Used to be able to get 1.5 inch groups at 100m meters with it when my eyes were not so fuzzy. Need a heap more magnification these days  Shocked
I have put it on a few other rifles and it handled the recoil fine.
I have a Bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16X42 on my main centerfire, I like it much Smiley

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #18 - May 4th, 2018 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Gerry Atric wrote on May 4th, 2018 at 8:15am:
I could buy a Tasco scope if they made them in Japan again, the World Class, World Class Plus and target scopes were decent for the era.

Gerry Atric

Yep, still got a couple of Japanese made Tasco's, still going strong on 10/22's, after a hell of a lot of use/abuse.
I used to tease the importer of hi-end optics, by telling him, Tasco stands for...They Are Superior Class  Optics.
He nearly used to blow a fuse.  Grin

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #19 - May 4th, 2018 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
I sometimes wonder if we have forgotten the true advantage of a scope.

With iron sights you had to align the target, the front sight and the rear and that took a bit of doing sometimes, especially in bad light - and more so when you got old.

With the scope, all you had to do was to place your cross-hair or post on the target and pull the trigger - easy.
You didn't need the finest ground glass or lense coatings to do that - you just needed something that held together, didn't lose zero and didn't fog up.
Three and four power scopes were the rage back yonder - then the varipowers came out and a lot of people switched to them.
And now, you'll hardly ever see a fixed low power out there - and I wonder that too.
They were small, didn't overwhelm a gun, were lightweight and had a wide FOV - and IMO still the best option for bush hunting.

With the current trend to extreme range shooting (anything beyond 300 yds), scope powers increased, glass quality became more important and adjustable turrets became the norm - no longer did you need to 'holdover' on that distant target.

But I don't do that - and while I'd like a truly top end piece of glass, I won't get one because no matter how careful you are with your shooter it will eventually take a bang with careless handling on your big trip to Stewart Island, or elsewhere - and I've seen that.
I have QD's on my guns, the scope goes safely in the pack and all my guns have 'iron's' so I'm still in the game should I take a tumble and bounce the scope on a boulder.

IP Logged

Gerry Atric
Donor Member

Reply #20 - May 5th, 2018 at 4:21am
Print Post  
X-POACHER-YEAH RYT wrote on May 4th, 2018 at 1:36pm:
Gerry Atric wrote on May 4th, 2018 at 8:15am:

Gerry Atric

Yep, still got a couple of Japanese made Tasco's, still going strong on 10/22's, after a hell of a lot of use/abuse.
I used to tease the importer of hi-end optics, by telling him, Tasco stands for...They Are Superior Class  Optics.
He nearly used to blow a fuse.  Grin

I annoyed a swedish importer as well wanting to buy a scope from Tanross Supply Company and wanting to know where in Florida the scopes were manufactured......

Gerry Atric

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #21 - May 5th, 2018 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
And - to continue with being a 'know all' on this subject, I reckon a .22LR is where you put your quality glass.
Your ranges might be limited, but your target hard to see sometimes - a bunny head in the long grass when the light is failing - and that is where you need high power, definition and bright optics.

Yep - that's where I'd put my S&B, Swaro or Zeiss - smack on top of my Slazenger single shot.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #22 - May 7th, 2018 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
I love my leupolds and the M8 4x is awesome bush scope.... best field of view by a long shot is on the 3x9x40mm nikko stirling gold crown from back when they were made in Japan...Ive killed 3 of them and have one left...great scopes for running wallabies.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #23 - May 13th, 2018 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Started hunting with M8 4X but all recent scopes are V3's . Very good value.The vari power is not disadvantaged because they weigh bugger all and balance well on the 75 and T3. Leupod is a company which does not take the word quality lightly.

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #24 - May 13th, 2018 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Just brought a Zeiss Terrra3X  3x9x42.Great little scope out to 400yds with fine Z6 retical.The ATN day night scope was ok but heavey with battery pack,and in the 2 yrs I had it,i never shot a deer in the dark,only in the early morning or late evening so got rid of the 3 lb scope and battery.
Zeiss scope very nice to zero and shoot with. Wink

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Dud
Donor Member

"The shot that hits is
the shot that counts"
- The

Reply #25 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
270guy wrote on Feb 16th, 2018 at 8:29pm:
Hi All,
have you ever thought about the scope you could buy, if money, wives, children, mortgages, reason, justification, were not a consideration?
Just curious, if you have one scope that you would pick to own, if you could just pop out to the local, click away on the internet, or whatever.

As I don't have to pay, as its a one item wish list, I think I might like to own a IOR RECON 4-28X50 FFP CCW MRAD Illuminated. I think its the bonkers 40mm main tube and uber glass. It may not be the most expensive (although its not cheap), but it would do me.

What would yours be?

Great minds think alike. I am actually thinking of getting the same scope. Not sure if Digit is still the NZ dealer for IOR.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards