Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Fi Glass Dominator (Read 2814 times)
Highland

Happy in the hills....

Fi Glass Dominator
Feb 15th, 2018 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Hi, Looking for a family boat for the 4 of us. Useage will be a bit of fishing, skiing & general cruising fun. Hard to know what size to go. Budget always a constraint.... Quite good value for money for a 5 metre Fi glass dominator, with 90hp 2 stroke on the bck. Question is, will this boat be big enough and have enough power for water skiing etc. Not looking for hard core ski action but would want to be able to deep water start an adult. Or do we go up to a 5.5 (huntsman dorado or similar) with a 115hp? I have looked at a tidy dominator with a 90 merc 2 stroke that they say has plenty of grunt for what we want.... Thoughts from those in the know would be appreciated. Cheers

IP Logged

Tommo mk2

Je Suis Prest

Re: Fi Glass Dominator
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Having been in this position, I'll offer my thoughts;
I'd go bigger. When you say it's for 4 people, does that include kids? Dominator's a good, well proven hull but as people grow may become a bit small. I originally looked at Dominator's but then Fi-Glass Firestar and Fi-Glass Senator. They're a bit bigger. Eventually went for a Senator as had lots more space within the hull but still had a cabin for when it cuts up rough or kids need a sleep. My Senator came with a 115 2 stroke and it's heaps of grunt. It's a great boat and has served us incredibly well. However, now my kids are getting bigger I'm also going to have to investigate going bigger!

IP Logged

ReelLuckyBouy

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
I have a Dominator, so here mine thoughts. Too small for 4 adults to fish from (jigging, ledger rig, etc), unless you have fold away seats. I have a Yammie 90hp 2 stroke will pull a single ski and fuel usage ok. Out in the big blue yonder any swell over a metre with some slop and it struggles. On the lake (90% of my use) it's great, and we mainly troll so no gain in a longer boat. Great boat but if you plan on doing lots of sea fishing get something with a 6 metre water length.

IP Logged

Highland

Happy in the hills....

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 7:28am
Print Post  
Okay thanks guys, yes the 4 people is two adults and two kids (8 & 10 y/o). What I get from your replies is it prob has enough grunt for what I want but may outgrow it size wise. not into hard core sea fishing more just out of Akaroa harbour, sounds, Totaranui etc but might be worth looking for a bigger boat just might have to be older....

IP Logged

Rugersst
Forum Font

Victory is mine...

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 8:16am
Print Post  
I have a 5.5 Haines Hunter so similar boat mine has a 140 Merc on it.
Wouldn't want to go any smaller IMO it powers it well with me and the Mrs and a 150lt chilly bin of ice & a full tank.
As for space 2 is good 4 is a crowd, wouldn't want anymore than 3 for fishing.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Just back in from an overnighter Lake trip in my Fi Glass Dominator with 90hp 2 stroke (thanks Alan:))

2 Adults, plenty of room, esp with lots of kit. Plenty of power for skiing, but for 4 it would certainly be a struggle if you wanted to do anything other than go from A to B.

IP Logged

ReelLuckyBouy

Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 8:24am
Print Post  
XRhunter wrote on Feb 16th, 2018 at 12:36pm:
Just back in from an overnighter Lake trip in my Fi Glass Dominator with 90hp 2 stroke (thanks Alan:))

Hi XRhunter,
Just curious how you get on sleeping in the cabin coz I sure my squabs are too short. Would love to give it a go on Lake Benmore but without a comfy bed it would be a no go with the boss lady.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 9:02am
Print Post  
Ha!!! Yep you are right!!! There was no way my boss lady was going to sleep on board!!! Possible perhaps for a 5 ft couple, but not for us. we headed off with inflatable mattresses etc etc and made camp on the shore where we  found a wee private bay. Trout jumping 20 ft from the sleeping bag Smiley

IP Logged

ReelLuckyBouy

Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
HaHa, thanks mate. Yeah was thinking you must be a couple of midgets if you fitted into that cabin without extensions etc. Nothing bets being on the water when the fish are jumping, I did suggest that a hardtop Rayglass 2150 would let us be out there 24/7 Cool

IP Logged

yogi
Donor Member

Patience, persistence
and perseverance

Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Firestar is a better option with a 90hp merc.
Bit bigger and better finished off.
The merc seems to perform better than the yamaha option even when rated the same horsepower.

Just got to keep on chipping away!

IP Logged

outdoorlad
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 6:50am
Print Post  
My late fathers one had a 115Merc on it, was great for water skiing, fishing, we used to sleep in it occassionaly on hunting trips but it's pretty cosy as others have said, good boat, towed well

IP Logged

trip
Donor Member

7mm08 Tika T3

Reply #11 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Donít look past the CSB SOTALIA

I SWEAR IT WAS THIS BIG.......YEAH RIGHT!!!

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #12 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
you mentioned benmore....... I was in our wee 13 foot tinny with 6hp merc with two kids ,heading downstream below benmore in the top of aviemore (the long skinny bit) there was a dommie with four people in it heading in same direction and they couldnt keep up with the waves making ride plurry uncomfortable.... out boat would cut through waves and we just kept motoring on at 18-20kmph yet the poor buggas in dommie had to keep tacking as they got chucked about...... the hull design might have improoved but that really put me off.

IP Logged

Highland

Happy in the hills....

Reply #13 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 10:15am
Print Post  
I have not completely discouted the Dominator but it does have a relatively shallow V so I wondered how it would go in a bit of chop. I see a Cresta craft 5.2 elite (around 2004) for sale, nothing that I can find on the net about this boat, I think it has a 21 degree V, can anyone tell me anything about them?

IP Logged

Whisper

Reply #14 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
For 4 people including 2 kids i wouldn't go anything less than 5.5m, although the layout makes a lot of difference.
I have a Reflex and the layout is the best for our family and fishing in a fibreglass boat (2 Adults and a 10 and 8 yr old).
Something like this might suit you
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/auction-1537839701.htm?...

Don't forget that as they grow they get heavier so a well powered rig will become more critical. Lots of info at http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/the-boat-shed_forum21.html

IP Logged

Highland

Happy in the hills....

Reply #15 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 7:50am
Print Post  
Okay cheers, that's a nice looking boat Whisperer, pretty high hours. The price is good though.... I am on a budget of around $25k Looks like you can get a later model (2006-2009) 5 metre boat or older (late 90's) 5.5-5.8 for that sort of money. I am not in a super hurry as this summer is nearly done....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards