Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Fly in/week hunting trip any advice (Read 1489 times)
Pigs
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Fly in/week hunting trip any advice
Feb 14th, 2018 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Looking at doing a fly in trip with 2 dogs early April pre pine season hunt. Has anyone got any advice on where would be good to go? Or the other option would be walk into a native block. North island. Both dogs are kiwi trained.. many thanks

IP Logged

ELKSTA

Re: Fly in/week hunting trip any advice
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 8:04am
Print Post  
I would target the Urewera's, Waioeka, or Raukumara ranges.... however you need to be mindful the place will be crawling with Roar hunters.

Best bet would be to ring the chopper operators and see if they can drop you in a spot where there are a few pigs and no deer hunters booked.

IP Logged

Old School

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
I'm in contact with a few of the local Bay of Plenty heli guys and for so long it has been the same old story. They can fly you into blocks but cant guarantee you will catch much in the way of pigs. Motu would be your best bet , you should get onto pigs but they are not in the numbers they were.
Rafting down the Motu from Otipi would possibly be a better option.

IP Logged

ELKSTA

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Old school - I haven't been into the Motu area for a few years now, but we used to do well up the Mangatutara, Te Kahika, Kahoka and even over in the eastern tributaries around Hikurangi. But I did also hear the numbers have reduced quite drastically over the last 4-6 years. Any ideas? Over hunting or virus?

IP Logged

Old School

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Like everywhere else hunters have stuffed it for themselves.  I was good mates with Alex Loughlan , he used to tell me about the 15, 20 30 pigs that guys were killing in the Motu not that many years ago. I told him that it would eventually f**k the hunting but he said no , you will never cull them out .
Yes they do get skinny at times and starve themselves out and the numbers drop but its the shit attitude of pighunters that is mostly to blame. All of these big numbers killed were mostly killed and left with only jaws and the odd good eating pigs taken out .
Anywhere the hunting is f**ked these days , hunters can only blame themselves and it will never change until their kill everything attitude changes.

You will still get pigs in the Motu so long as you fly camp [ dont hunt anywhere near huts as its flogged ] and cover a bit of ground..

IP Logged

ELKSTA

Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 10:15am
Print Post  
That's a real shame Old School. It honestly was a great place to take your "back-up" dogs and a couple of pups years ago. We used to always take 4-5 dogs in and only hunt them in pairs. The pigs were generally in pretty good nick and great eating at certain times of the year. The boars would stand and scrap which was just a great experience for the younger dogs. I will get back in there one day... but a bit more homework will be required by the sounds.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards