Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Czech nymphing advice (Read 982 times)
bushrat

Czech nymphing advice
Feb 11th, 2018 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Gidday lads, been hunting most of me life but only ever rock hopped or waded all the streams/rivers in me way. any how decided this xmas to try fly fishing and while out there thrashing around on the river I met a bloke who introduced me to czech nymphing by tieing some mono onto me floating line & then a couple flys to that ,one heavy one light. Bingo caught me first trout. what I'd like to know is how many of you fellas fish this way ?,and can you give me any info on where to get czech nymphing  gear.
cheers

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Re: Czech nymphing advice
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 7:23am
Print Post  
I googled Czech nymph and came up with some interesting links that are worth browsing.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

Stagrinon
Donor Member

No pain No gain.

Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 8:04am
Print Post  
Probably had you fly fishing...    Cheesy Grin Cheesy

IP Logged

Sayonara
Donor Member

Always ready to learn

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Been Czech nymphing for a long time after a master fisherman, Mike Davis of Rotorua H&F, showed me how.
He can pull a trout out of a dunny that guy and 3 or 4 months of fishing along side him in the Waikato was a truly ground breaking experience for me.
Learned more in that time than in a life time prior to that.
Very effective, especially in discoloured water.
Caught my last trout a week ago in a body of water that had been thrashed by countless fisherfolk over Xmas/New Year, and of 4 anglers fishing around that body of water I was the only one to hook a fish over 1/2 kilo.
As little line as possible in the water and avoid hand flash with camo fingerless gloves and face flash with a camo balaclava.
Lethal.

IP Logged

bushrat

Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Thanks Guys, Ive done my fair share of uncle googleing around for czech nymphing but great to get a few tips  from ya Ashfisho. Will pay attention to that next time on the river. Just seems to make so much more sense to me because you line is in the water! so much quicker than going back and forth in the air all the time.
Cheers  guys

IP Logged

troutbum

I fish n hunt an remain
in debt.

Reply #5 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Hi Bushrat good to see you have expanded your horizons.Czech nymphing came about after the czechoslovakian fly fishing team won a competition in montana using this method I believe .It has since been adopted by most competitive anglers world wide.
With competitive fly fishing it is a numbers game with size also counting for points.This method is perfect for competition fly fishing especially in NZ where you can catch big numbers of small fish using it and gain those all important points in the process.
But as for calling it flyfishing its a bit of a stretch as you are basically   lobbing your flys upstream 3 or 4 meters and following the drift of the flys downstream.Its often adopted by new comers to the sport as the numbers touted being caught are attractive.
But singularly Smiley Smiley fly fishing is at it"s most basic a competition between you and the trout and not other fisherman.Half the joy in fly fishing is casting a fly line well and once mastered is a joy!
My advice would be to start with a dry and dropper,work on your stream craft and most importantly have fun.For every czech nymphing competitive fisherman out there there is also the local,having fished his local rivers for years go's about things quietly,with out a fuss who could fish rings around competitive czech nymphers.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards