Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Mounting of head shot skull? (Read 1221 times)
Skrwpig
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Mounting of head shot skull?
Feb 10th, 2018 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Hey folks,  managed to tip over a reasonable red stag the other day, unfortunately I had no time to do anything than about a 4m right between the eyes shot. 

Does anyone have any tips / methods of euro mounting a skull that has lost the majority of the bone from atlas to back teeth, I.E some method of maybe replacing or filling the void that is strong enough to hold together?

If possible I would like to keep the remaining skull whole and not have to "cap" it.  Am not concerned about the bullet entry hole at all, gives it a bit of character.

Cheers.

IP Logged

scotty162

wandering the ureweras
since 1992

Re: Mounting of head shot skull?
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
A freind of mine makes skulls out of totara they look bloody awesome

IP Logged

Deathwind
Donor Member

Keen hunter

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Could probably use a block of wood and some Builders fill resin from Bunnings or Mitre 10. May be drill a hole each side of skull remaining and put a screw through into wood block as well to give extra strength and stop it pulling out. Could then attach a hanger or shield to the block of wood in the skull .

IP Logged

Skrwpig
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the advice guys,  however it seems that 126g SP 7.62x39 is well more than enough at 4m!  Cheesy Everything below entry (nasal bones) and around eyesockets on both sides and half of atlas socket is total mush.  Gonna have to cap it off.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards