Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Garmin InReach (Read 3169 times)
NZ Alps Hunter

Garmin InReach
Feb 7th, 2018 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Anyone know if the Garmin inReach has the capabilities of replacing your PLB device? Or are they really two seperate devices? I see that the inReach has an SOS function

Cheers

NZ Alps Hunter

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Re: Garmin InReach
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
According to the specs it does.

Its a GPS tracking devise with PLB and with  Sat texting capabilities.

You must pay a monthly Sat account whereas a normal PLB without texting is free,, so it can only alert SAR, but not tell them what the problem is.

The new Garmin also has a screen and maps, so it a multipurpose device.

The earlier SPOT and inReach device were and are far more limited and could only track your position and send short prerecorded txt messages to a limited number of recipients.  You could also alert SAR with it but could not further communicate with them.

Garmin purchase the rights to ""in Reach"" devices two years back and has produced the new Garmin "in Reach" you refer to.

With the new Garmin you can actually communicate with SAR and others in real time with txting.. though your SAT account.

Very handy to keep your sweetheart pacified at home if you are overdue.  Roll Eyes

Makes all the difference and well worth  the money.

Expect to pay around $30-40 a month for an Iridium Satellite  Comms Account.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 6:10am
Print Post  
Wife got me one for Christmas (mostly for her own peace of mind), and it's a great bit of kit. I haven't used the SOS function and hope not to ever need to.

Sending texts via satellite is a real winner. On my last trip in Jan we were able to receive weather reports by text from my wife and then arrange to be picked up by heli two days early before the big storm arrived.

When you send a message it tags the message with a ten figure grid too. You can set it to ping your location at set intervals if you want. I don't care about the subscription as $30 for a month is nothing compared to fuel, gear and heli costs when on an alpine trip. I just get a monthly sub for mine when I need it.

I have chamois, tahr and red trips planned for this month and the Garmin will be a great help.

IP Logged

trusty222
Donor Member

"HOT BARRELS AND SAGGING
TAIL LINES"

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 6:15am
Print Post  
oK guys, I’ll do a review on them as soon as I get some time, have used the older Delorme Inreach SE recreationally for  nearly 2 yrs and have over 5000 hrs use (over 6 units for the hunting  team) with  the new rebranded  Garmin Inreach Explorer+, both are very good units and  do the job well (live tracking and satellite comms)

great unit if used properly , I still carry a PLB as well (for several reasons), Stand by👍

Hot barrels

DOG TRAINING "GET IT RIGHT THE 1ST TIME & TRAIN FOR SUCCESS"
WWW.BCL.KIWI
IP Logged

STI
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 6:24am
Print Post  
Current new Inreach wont do NZ Grid and the mapping is not what you would expect (its not Garmin Mapping product but Delorne)
I would suggest while the Communication part is really good based on the one I used the GPS part is not a replacement for your GPS.
Also when you are looking for one try to find someone with an activated Demo unit otherwise you cant see the mapping without registering the unit

I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either..

IP Logged

Grunter
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 8:53am
Print Post  
J wrote on Feb 8th, 2018 at 6:10am:
Wife got me one for Christmas (mostly for her own peace of mind), and it's a great bit of kit. I haven't used the SOS function and hope not to ever need to.

Sending texts via satellite is a real winner. On my last trip in Jan we were able to receive weather reports by text from my wife and then arrange to be picked up by heli two days early before the big storm arrived.

When you send a message it tags the message with a ten figure grid too. You can set it to ping your location at set intervals if you want. I don't care about the subscription as $30 for a month is nothing compared to fuel, gear and heli costs when on an alpine trip. I just get a monthly sub for mine when I need it.

I have chamois, tahr and red trips planned for this month and the Garmin will be a great help.

Were you unable to receive weather reports via the Inreach?

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
I could have done, but wife was sending them, so I didn't need to.

Trusty .222 gave me advice before I bought and he has tons of experience with his team of cullers.

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
I got one as a gift too. The Flash Harry one.

What are the most important tips for using them?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
BC wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 1:30pm:

Turn it on.  Grin

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #9 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
BC wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 1:30pm:

Don't leave it at home when you go hunting.... Cheesy

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
got the delorm Inreach
use it to txt family, if delayed or need pick up etc
also get wife to txt mountain forcasts. used the Inreach one, but don't like it

wouldn't use it as PLB replacement. cant rely on immediate pick up of by satilites. never had trouble getting message out though, sometimes with bit of delay

IP Logged

Nicknamed
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #11 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Have used the InReach for a couple of years.  Excellent for txting wife to let her know what is going on and getting weather forecasts -assume it would be good to communicate with SAR if had to.  Good for arranging early pick up by chopper when weather was forecast to clag in.  Chopper company liked it and easy for them as it sent them an email with map and grid co-ords for the pick up - avoided any confusion.

It can do SOS but I still take PLB.

You have to pay monthly fee like a cell account.  If for some reason pmt didn’t go through then I’m not sure SOS service continues!!!  Also I read somewhere that PLB is straight through to Maritime NZ and much quicker whereas InReach goes to international provider and takes a bit longer to relay back to NZ SAR. 

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #12 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Yes, the most important thing for me is a  way to keep the home front happy.. worth thousands.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

trusty222
Donor Member

"HOT BARRELS AND SAGGING
TAIL LINES"

Reply #13 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
GARMIN INREACH REVIEW

disclaimer: I do not work for garmin and have purchased through normal outlet stores, I hope this can answer a few questions

https://explore.garmin.com/en-NZ/inreach/

Delorme inreach has been rebranded by Garmin inreach,  the older delorme units are still functional and can be picked up bit cheaper now (I still use a delorme SE)
both units are functionally similar though the delorme SE does not have a GPS map page/GPS functionality, where the explorer+ does

I have used the Delorme SE and the Garmin explorer+
FOR
-communications with base/hunters in remote location , daily safety scheds, important messages etc
-live tracking for H&S reasons , "working in isolation"
-wx forecasts

if used properly they are a great unit for what I want them for IF
-you learn how to use them
-keep them charged
-hook them into the plan that best suits your needs, as already mentioned you have to have them hooked into a plan
-have the correct settings activated for the information you want sent/received
-they DONOT replace our PLBs, we all carry additional PLB units (Satelittle 66 ch 406 MHz signal, 121.5 MHz homing capability)
-when sending/receiving messages, for best/quickest results put the unit standing upright with a clear view of the sky and wait,
units can be set to auto check for messages or you can manually activate a SEND/RECIEVE in the unit. I like to have a noise alert to notify when messages are sent/received

NZ plans

delorme se, the garmin explorer+
the explorer+ has all the same functions as the SE+ but also GPS functionality and Map page

-battery life very good, have done 2 week trips with morning and evening skeds only and battery as still has 40% remaining, please note live tracking was not activated

-live tracking engaged and AM/PM skeds, unit will last at least 4 days (8-12 hrs/day with a 10 min ping rate) I don't let the unit get down  below 30% in case it is required for an emergency and is regularly charged off a 12v battery

-if inside a wet daybag and dry bag the unit has difficulty sending ping or receiving data, it need to be placed upright for best results or keep on the belt

-can send messages to cell ph or email address, a maximum of 160 characters can be sent in any single message

-each unit has a specific email address that can be emailed and also contact # that can be texted from a cell

-message composition can be slow using the toogle type key board but is easy enough (made a lot quicker if paired with a cell phone)

-sent messages can also be accompanied by a long/lat grid ref and map, the unit does NOT support any other position format

-units can be paired with a cell phone GARMIN EARTHMATE app via Bluetooth for ease of use, message composition and topo map/tracking view etc, if paired to the cell phone the delorme SE then become a GPS as well as the app has the delorme topo maps, these maps are OK but not as good as garmin for a number of reasons (place names, accuracy of tracks, huts etc)

-good rugged unit/water resistant, I have mine on my belt in a leather pouch or carried in the top of daybag

-I find the wx forecast function pretty good, and will rely on it in conjunction to am/fm radio forecasts to plan fly camp trips etc

-PRESET MESSAGES, these are managed from the website portal and can be programmed for any text up to 160 character in length, to send a "preset message" does not cost anything

-there is the ability to link into FB or twit book (WTF) but I don't use this function

on the Garmin explorer +

menu pages

SPECS

GPS functions
- the GPS is functional but not as good as the standard garmin csx or similar
- the delorme topo maps are OK but not as good as the standard garmin or similar topos
-you can record waypoints but not save a track log, in saying this if you have the live tracking function activated you can down load a GPX, KML or KMZ file through the website portal

position formats,screen shot of topo mapping, track and veg/contours marked but no huts, with long/lat ref of pointer

WEBSITE PORTAL
- easy to navigate, works on PC, laptop and smart phone, though garmin recommend to use PC or laptop rather than smart ph.
- in the past 6 months the site went off line for about 24 hrs, which was a concern, this did not effect 2 way sat comms, only portal access and ability to see the live tracking
- I have had issues with syncing the device through the web portal but got it sort eventually
- you can download tracking, upload waypoint/route data to and from the inreach from the portal

a screen shot of the web portal and tracking/ping sites/message sites

OVERALL
The Inreaches deliver everything I want from the unit, as stated above, live tracking and satellite comms.

They could also be used as a GPS and PLB but I prefer to use dedicated specific units for that.

I have used iridium sat phones in the past and the inreach units are far more reliable for getting a message out (and notify you that the message has been sent) and they offer more functionality (tracking/gps/sos)

For best result have the unit upright so it can see the sky, it will work inside day bags but if the bags are wet there ability to pick up satellites can be minimised

the website portal works well and is easy to navigate

you need to have unit activated and be subscribed onto a plan for it to work, that means for any of the functions to work

I would recommend the inreach system, Ill add a few more photos and comments in time

hot barrels

DOG TRAINING "GET IT RIGHT THE 1ST TIME & TRAIN FOR SUCCESS"
WWW.BCL.KIWI
IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #14 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Thanks Trusty, when this post has done its time in the hunting section Ill then move it to the resources section to save..  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards