Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) 4x4 Ute. What wouldn't you buy? (Read 9784 times)
Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

4x4 Ute. What wouldn't you buy?
Feb 2nd, 2018 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Looking into late model second hand double cab utes. Max price of $35K.
Have heard a lot of bad things about Colorados so not overly keen on them, 2.4 l mitsi seems not bad but I can't afford a brand new one with 10 year warranty Sad
So the list has come down to Hilux( 2014 or newer because the wife insists on centre 3 point belt in back, even though we only have 2 kids.)  Ford Ranger or Isuzu D max.

Have only test driven the hilux so far,

What's everyones opinions/ horror stories?

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Re: 4x4 Ute. What wouldn't you buy?
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Forgot to add, Will be used mainly as family vehicle 90% highway use and any river crossings will only be about wheel height. ( not allowed to drown it )

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
I wouldn't buy a newer hilux rumpy they not worth the $ they want for them I would b looking seriously at the dmaxs my 2c anyway

IP Logged

Corey Parker
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2018 at 1:12am
Print Post  

One KNHNTR. Any day on the hill beats a day in the office.

IP Logged

STI
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2018 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Whatever you buy make sure it either has the balance of the manufacturers warrenty or you buy an "extended warrenty".

Repair costs for late model diesels are from personal experience expensive.

We replaced out quite troublesome 2009 BT50 done 118,00kms, (2 egr cooler failures, ecu failure and 2 injectors failed all over the 19,000kms we had it for),  with a 2016 Colorado still covered by manufacturers warrenty.
When the warrenty expires we will move it on and buy another one still under warrenty.

Toyotas are over priced, Colardo was better "on-road" by a country mile and cheaper.
In fact the arrogant ass attitude of the local Toyota dealership cost them not only the sale of a brand new Hilux (they had the sale in the bag, ) but any further chance of me ever buying a vehicle off them in the future.

I like the Tritons but only 2.4 and the Dmaxs but in the end Holden won.
I would stay away from BT50s or Rangers in the 2008-2012 year range

I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either..

IP Logged

stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Reply #5 - Feb 3rd, 2018 at 6:17am
Print Post  
Father in law had three holden colorado’s and I have now done 45,000 km on our 2016 colorado. No issues.

Ford were the most arrogant when I came looking at what they had to offer.

Sako-Tikka-Lee Enfield-Franchi-Leupold-Black Labrador
YouTube  
IP Logged

ReelLuckyBouy

Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2018 at 7:28am
Print Post  
Brand new Misti Triton GLX auto 4x4 on sale for $39k drive away, with 10 year warranty. Makes any second hand ute in that price range hard to justify especially if it's main use is on tarmac.

IP Logged

Huntsouth
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2018 at 7:48am
Print Post  
Correct me if wrong but you pay for the servicings to maintain the warranty - which i have read earlier on another thread can be upwards of 1k per servicing depending on make? Makes sense that regular maintenance should give piece of mind. But outside any warranty, i suspect regular maintenance slips quite a bit in most cases? Interesting.

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2018 at 10:32am
Print Post  
And that servicing is every 5000k so it gets expensive

IP Logged

STI
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2018 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
padox wrote on Feb 3rd, 2018 at 10:32am:
And that servicing is every 5000k so it gets expensive

Service intervals are changing. Our shitter BT50 was annually or 10,000kms and our new Colorado is Annually or 15,000km

I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either..

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2018 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
mahindra straight of showroom floor..... they have difflocks and will go places. they have great seating and work as family wagon as roomy as heck.
fuel usage isnt bad either.

IP Logged

stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Reply #11 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 4:14am
Print Post  
Huntsouth wrote on Feb 3rd, 2018 at 7:48am:
Correct me if wrong but you pay for the servicings to maintain the warranty - which i have read earlier on another thread can be upwards of 1k per servicing depending on make? Makes sense that regular maintenance should give piece of mind. But outside any warranty, i suspect regular maintenance slips quite a bit in most cases? Interesting.

Servicing is every 15000km for the Colorado and can be done by any workshop that is vehicle warranty certified. My most expensive service was just the other day at $450 and only due to them having to re pack some bearings etc as a part of the requirements. It is normally around the $250 mark where I go.

Sako-Tikka-Lee Enfield-Franchi-Leupold-Black Labrador
YouTube  
IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #12 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 7:12am
Print Post  
Thanks for the feedback, I really would like to stretch the budget and get the triton but started at 25k, then 30, but found anything not too old or too many ks costs a bit more. I think a warranty is an essential considering repair costs if something goes wrong. Still don't trust any of the Chinese brands yet, maybe in another 5years.

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 10:47am
Print Post  
I was in a similar boat to you. Ended up going down the Chinese road. Got Foton Tunland. Done 10000 Kms so still has 90000 is or 2 and a half years of warranty. Only had it a week so time will tell if it was the right decision. It's a T3 so it's bound to be good.  Cheesy

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:31am
Print Post  
one thing to watch with them....same as early datsuns and mitsis is to get on to paint chips quick smart before they rust....clear nail polish from $2 shop works a treat and will prevent issues later on.

IP Logged

Prtnd Huntr

Reply #15 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Try looking at a Tunland with that sort of money.  There are going to be those out there that poo poo  this idea, but its worth a look.  I work with a guy who has had one for over 12 months and he has no no issues with it. I have also driven one and find they are not a bad vehicle to play in.  Their fuel economy is pretty good as well.

Just a thought looking at the other comments about FORD and Toyota you have nothing to lose by just going to have a look and taking one for a test drive.

My 2 cents worth

IP Logged

Sneaka
Forum Senior

I love short range hunting

Reply #16 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 2:10am
Print Post  
I have a Triton and love it. Have done 45,000 km in a year with no issues. Cost heaps less brand new than the others and was the only model I could not find someone who had owned one who had had problems. Most of the guys around here who own one would go out and get another next time without a second thought. They are getting really common. Servicing only every 15,000 km and they are really reasonable to service too. Local dealer is outstanding for customer service. Have mates who love their D Maxs but they cost a lot more and I know a few who have had problems. Some guys wont buy a Triton because of image but talk is cheap and performance is everything in my opinion. You are very close to a Triton now. Save your pennies and then also get a 10yr 160,000 km warantee. Whats not to love about that? Buy once cry once. Cheaper in the long run.

IP Logged

Sneaka
Forum Senior

Reply #17 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 4:46am
Print Post  
Just got my 45,000 km Triton service done at the dealers. Reputed to be one of the most expensive. $400 total including extra for a new air filter. Take that all you D Max owners. Grin Grin Grin

Asked the salesman while there and he has a cab plus 4WD for $35K or a double cab 4WD for $37K. Pretty good I reckon. The mechanic there has just bought one for himself as they are not having any issues with them. Tells a story really. He said his wife prefers to go away in that over their car as it is so comfy to drive. Here ends my speel as I am starting to sound like a salesman Grin Grin

IP Logged

WassupO8

Reply #18 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
heya Sneaka, who/where is your dealer?

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #19 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Sneaka wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 4:46am:
Just got my 45,000 km Triton service done at the dealers. Reputed to be one of the most expensive. $400 total including extra for a new air filter. Take that all you D Max owners. Grin Grin Grin

Asked the salesman while there and he has a cab plus 4WD for $35K or a double cab 4WD for $37K. Pretty good I reckon. The mechanic there has just bought one for himself as they are not having any issues with them. Tells a story really. He said his wife prefers to go away in that over their car as it is so comfy to drive. Here ends my speel as I am starting to sound like a salesman Grin Grin

I talked to several guys who owned tritons 2008 and newer, when I was trading up my Land cruiser. Every one of them said they're buy another one, most have, except one who bought a  new Ranger and he recently told me he hates driving it offroad so sticks to the 2.8 single cab hilux for farm work (he used to live in the triton!).

I was all but ready to sign the dotted line on a new triton with all the extras, then another landcruiser I liked popped up so bought it instead  Grin

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #20 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 7:40am
Print Post  
Quote:
mahindra straight of showroom floor..... they have difflocks and will go places. they have great seating and work as family wagon as roomy as heck.
fuel usage isnt bad either.

What a Mahindra?
Me old patrol just turned over 480000ks now,still going strong and doesn't burn oil.Its not a fast smooth slick machine like todays 4x4s,but still crawls over riverbeds,rocks and swims now and then.

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Huntsouth
Forum Font

Reply #21 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Quote:
Me old patrol just turned over 480000ks now,still going strong and doesn't burn oil.Its not a fast smooth slick machine like todays 4x4s,but still crawls over riverbeds,rocks and swims now and then.

But the cause of many traffic hold ups on the highways when you are back on terra firma!  Grin

IP Logged

hunter08

Reply #22 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 8:36am
Print Post  
I wouldn't buy a triton had 1 for 3years that I brought new done $100000km in it in these 3years & when I sold it it wouldn't tow a trailer very well 3 four wheelers on the trailer load side ways so nicely balance load & I couldn't do any more than 85km/hr but I had done a lot of towing round 2.5tone in the last 2months befor I flick it coast me $2k worth of break downs that weren't covered under warantee I think they good ute if you don't work them to hard & wate until you change the timing belt at 90km it's the same price as dmax owners at 45km I went to a dmax & man it's so nice to tow again & not have wory bot trailer taking over.

IP Logged

Sneaka
Forum Senior

Reply #23 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Horses for courses I guess. I tow one quad and a trailor a lot and don't even notice it is hooked on. I have a mate who owns a bunch of D Maxs and likes them but I know other guys who have had problems and wont have another.

IP Logged

Rugersst
Forum Font

Victory is mine...

Reply #24 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 3:27am
Print Post  
I have a MN triton, would never have owned one but took it for a test drive and was very surprised,  the warranty @10years 😎 been good so far.
I know one of the only problems is the EGR I blocks up and Mitsubishi are well aware of it the were just replacing the manifolds no questions asked.over here.

I have 2 boats a 4.5m tinny it doesn't even no its there, also a trailer and quad probably weights about the same.
My bigger boat well it knows that's hanging off it but is fine as long as you don't try passing a road train....

Wouldn't touch a Ford with a 40 foot barge pole, we currently have 14 Ranges with 50-80k parked up with various problems from the electrics to seized engines, dam you want to see lists of probems since new absolutely junk.

IP Logged

Old School
Forum Senior

Reply #25 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 4:03am
Print Post  
70 series Landcruiser V8 take some beating. Grunty and Tough.
Give the new flash harry utes a run for their money on the open road.
They have one downfall , being bloody hard riding.

Nearly traded mine on a Ranger , glad i didnt.

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #26 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Huntsouth wrote on Feb 10th, 2018 at 11:58am:
Quote:

But the cause of many traffic hold ups on the highways when you are back on terra firma!  Grin
I'm afraid not,the Nissan cruises at a 100 to 105 ks most of the time,till I get behind a rental car or van ffs.Sitting up high I have a good view of the high way ahead of me.Drop her out of overdrive,or down to second gear,she has no trouble pulling 4500rpm with the 4.2 turbo kicking in,but I don't need to hit those revvs much.
Always get ALL filters changed getting  a oil change.
Go Nissan. Wink

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

souwester
Donor Member

Reply #27 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 8:09am
Print Post  
The old patrol be just run in at 480K!!  Smiley I've heard good things about the Dmax from a couple of people in the logging business, Triton would be hard to go past for the money though.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #28 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Rugersst quotes some pretty nasty facts with those Rangers. Other forums tend to back him up. Todays utes/cars are built with fuel economy and weight savings uppermost in mind. To hell with durability and longevity. There's pretty much no way any of today's generation of high performance electronic everything vehicles will reliably operate for 25 years/600,000km with just oil and filter changes, like those of us with Patrols/Cruisers have experienced. If you've got deep pockets or a business to soak up the losses, go for a new machine I guess. Or if you don't know what the underside of your ute looks like, I guess you have little option Smiley

IP Logged

hauraki hunter
Donor Member

Reply #29 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 12:43am
Print Post  
Dont ever buy a Great wall a friends got one full of rust in 3 years the dealer has helped her out with repairs after she said she was going tell everyone what a heap of crap it was. Sad

IP Logged

Huntdeepsouth
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #30 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
they dont make utes tough like they used, my vet clinic have tritons and some of them have done 300k kms with no troubles only regular servicing

IP Logged

hawken 50

Reply #31 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 1:15am
Print Post  
I bought a 2007 Ranger brand new with 15km's on the clock. 165,000km now still going strong no probs. Dual mass flywheel crapped at 90,000 (replaced with aftermarket normal type) and 1 injector seal leaked. Used as a work truck/hunting/firewood etc. I'm not complaining at all has been a great wagon.

IP Logged

Vulcan
Forum Font

Reply #32 - May 8th, 2018 at 12:30am
Print Post  
hauraki hunter wrote on Feb 14th, 2018 at 12:43am:
Dont ever buy a Great wall a friends got one full of rust in 3 years the dealer has helped her out with repairs after she said she was going tell everyone what a heap of crap it was. Sad

I have a Great Wall SUV for 5 years now and have not had any issues. Gets deer/goats/bunnies chucked in the back, dog in the back, takes the kids to rugby, tows the boat and so forth. Not hard core offroading or anything silly.

Great Walls are an Isuzu body on a toyota chassis if you look at the older Isuzu Dmax/Holdens. The Great Wall X200/220 SUV is basically an Isuzu Axiom body with a different nose:

Isuzu Axiom:

Great Wall X240:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards