Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic R.I.P. Gordon Roberts (Read 4558 times)
Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

R.I.P. Gordon Roberts
Jan 31st, 2018 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
I have been advised that Gordon died over the weekend. He suffered a stroke during the week.  I knew Gordon well during the 1960's when he was culling for NZFS.  Canterbury conservancy tried to get closer to the private hunters and for a few years cullers would work with groups at the various Lewis Pass huts. Gordon was one who did this.  He was of course a top class photographer of wild animals. His first game photograph book "Game animals in New Zealand" issued in 1968 and sold well. Then 1997 saw "Game Animals of New Zealand, A portfolio.", which I think is superb. And as I type, beside me is my mounted poster for the 1978 International exhibition of Hunting, in Wgtn -- with Gordon's superb photo of a roaring North Canterbury Red stag. My memories of Gordon are fond. R.I.P.

The fraternity of shooters is rather like the fraternity of blind men -- each one walks alone.&&: Ian Niall.

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Re: R.I.P. Gordon Roberts
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
That's sad. "Game Animals in NZ" inspired me.
RIP

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

cliff larsen
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Don't think there was two made like you Gordon, RIP Cliff Larsen.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Met the fellow up lake sumner and then again at NZDA evening in Timaru...he was showing slides of sika stag in tussock country and had 6-8 slides of stag taken one after the other...by 6th slide we were all on edge of seats as stag turned head and stood up.
A real gentleman and top photographer...R.I.P old boy,may the hill be gentle and the light stay constant for your final journey.

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 9:52am
Print Post  
I have one of his books, High Country Four Seasons. The photos are amazing.

IP Logged

Tommo mk2

Je Suis Prest

Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
His photos inspired me as I was starting out my hunting career. RIP.

IP Logged

Clegg

work is a necessary evil
to pay for hunting

Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
R.I.P Gordon. A talented photographer. Gave a couple of his books to people I worked/hunted with in Canada so they too could appreciate NZ game animals.

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
A legend in the world of photography and an inspiration to many hunters and lovers of the outdoors.

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

Ruger260
Forum Senior

It makes good reading

Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Sad to hear of his passing. Met him years ago when he released Game Animals of NZ. Have a signed copy of it. RIP Gordon

IP Logged

Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2018 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
rip Gordon.... your photos were legendary... I met Gordon a few times and was impressed by his quite nature...  Many of his images were so hard to get in those days with cameras and lenses so heavy and unsophisticated compared with today...His work will live on in his books..

Co-leader NZ Outdoors Party http://www.outdoorsparty.co.nz
IP Logged

HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Reply #10 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 8:29am
Print Post  
I don't come on here too often these days but I have to mention the passing of Gordon Roberts. 
I hadn't known Gordon all that long and we only met after I was pointed to him by Kingsley Timpson at Rangiora.  Gordon was the missing link I needed to research the earlier Internal Affairs huts and work in the Mt White area.  He was pure gold to me and I had been in awe of his images since I was a kid.  Do you remember the ones that were on the cover of Wildlife.  Absolutely stunning work capturing animals in their environment.  We hit it off like long lost friends, we enjoyed coffee, at the right price of course, and the Darfield Bakery Carrot Cake.  He would complain he had eaten too much and would need to go on a diet for the week!  Anyway, I grew to admire and respect Gordon in a very short while.  Like all men he had his moments and could be opinionated but if he set his mind to something it was done!  For the short time I knew him I will forever be grateful for his generous companionship and the love of certain parts of this land we both shared.  I regret not being able to capture more of what he could tell but am glad we got what we did.  Most of us will never know when our number is up so take Gordon's lead and share your stories, share your knowledge and skill.  The world is a better place with people like Gordon, he would be honoured to know others will fill his place.  Never the same but sharing the same values.  For anyone interested here is a short film Gordon was part of about 1990.
https://www.nzgeo.com/video/a-thing-of-the-past/

Gordon1990 by Craig  Benbow, on Flickr

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #11 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Thank you for showing that excellent movie. And what a thrill to hear Gordon's voice again. R.I.P.

The fraternity of shooters is rather like the fraternity of blind men -- each one walks alone.&&: Ian Niall.

IP Logged

HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Reply #12 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Grandad wrote on Feb 7th, 2018 at 11:54am:
Thank you for showing that excellent movie. And what a thrill to hear Gordon's voice again. R.I.P.

Yes, I have another short recording of him I took when we first met.  Gone but never forgotten will be Gordon.  All the best to you also!

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

Reply #13 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Thanks for posting that video. You could well say that Gordon Roberts was a pioneer in NZ wildlife photography.
Cheers.

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

Ruger260
Forum Senior

It makes good reading

Reply #14 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Great clip will save that one.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards