Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Shaping knife handles (Read 14515 times)
Von Gruff
Donor Member

Re: Shaping knife handles
Reply #30 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
After a great deal of time and expense the box finally arrived from South Africa with the giraffe bone and impala horn. Much of this is preordered for 7 giraffe bone and three impala horn handled knives but expect to have sufficient left for other orders in the near future.

The ability to do comes with doing

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #31 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Everything finished now so was through to see friends this morning and fitted the grip sets to get some picsl

The story and data card to go with the boxes

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #32 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
I decided to cut the giraffe bone (or most of it) today to get enough for the knives that are ordered. All of the bones had one end cut off (to facillitate the process for export) so I marked the bone off in 5 inch lengths and cut them with the metal cutting bandsaw.

The knob end still had some of the porpous honeycomb type bone and was not usable but I got 4 good engths from each of the arger bones. One side of all the bones was too thin for the knife handles but may work for pocketknives which I do not do.

I have a guage for the other bandsaw that I use for cutting the scale thicknesses so set to (having the apropriate breathing gear on as there is a lot of dust made and floating in the air.

I managed to get three pieces plus core waste from the larger bones but just two from the smaller ones.

With enough cut for these ones. From the right is a Lion knife, 6 Safari knives and a Light Hunter. The last Safari knife (marked on the taped blade is to be this years knife giveaway and will have curve backed buffalo horn bolsters where the rest will be full giraffe bone handles.

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #33 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Having done that and having three of the Light hunters to do with the Impala horn handles I had a serious look at and some research on the usual handles done with this material and many are in fact bone jiged to resemble the horn so I found where the old time horners(those who work with the horn) would heat the horn to near 350F and it would become pliable so I did that and have it clamped flat so will see in the morning how it has reacted to this procedure. The orders are for handles from the horn that Tony had hunted and wanted for his sons so as there was a set of extra horns in the box I cut these first to check the process.

Cutting the appropriate length from the smaller set

Splitting them lengthwise and removing the core which is dried and loose inside.

Ready for heating and clamping flat

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #34 - Sep 13th, 2019 at 7:43am
Print Post  
First stage completed sucessfully with only a short crack at the end that will not effect the length needed for a knife handle. There was some springback from the 9mm thick they were clamped (down from about 16mm) to but as this is old and very dry horn I am going to boil it next in black dyed water and re-clamp to fix the thickness needed. It was sugested that I use oil to boil/heat in but my concern is that there may be oil penetration into the horn and conflict with the epoxy

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #35 - Sep 13th, 2019 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
A couple of new designs today. I killed one of my sheep for the freezer and two of the knives I use were in need of an update. Without going into the mechanics of sheep killing I needed a slightlu more directable handle and the knife I had been using for dicing the meat after it was boned out was proving unsatisfactory in that it had a wasted portion of the blade in the curve from the flat to the tip. and while the flat portion was good the curve to the tip made it unwieldly so a while back I made a shorter one but this showed the need for a longer flat portion.
I had wanted to do this for a while and this had prompted me to "get on with it".
The slaughterman has a 7 inch (1/8 1084) blade that I have made a fraction wider at the heel end and a little fuller in the handle while the dicer has a 7 1/2 in x 1/8 in 12C27 SS blade for a 12 1/2 overall length.

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #36 - Sep 15th, 2019 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Todays heat treat and grinding session gives me a few to handsand and start the bolster and handle process.

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #37 - Sep 23rd, 2019 at 6:30am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Slayer
Donor Member

Reply #38 - Sep 23rd, 2019 at 9:56am
Print Post  
That's a nice looking knife! Well done!

Political correctness is a doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #39 - Sep 25th, 2019 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Have some leatherwork ahead of me to get sheaths doen for this lot finished today.

A Light Hunter (1084) and a Lion knife (1095) with giraffe bone fixed with stainless pins.

An order for some Safari knives with giraffe bone on 1095 with titabium pins. There is another one to finish shaping the handles but that will join the group tomorrow.

A Mini Skinner in 1084 with spalted eucalyptus over curve backed buff horn bolsters with brass pins

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #40 - Sep 25th, 2019 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
And the new design knives for myself. The slaughterman with stainless 3 pin copper bolster and ebony handles with cpper pins on the 1084 blade.

The slicer is for when I have broken down an animal and want to dice the boned out meat. It has 3 brass pins in the copper bolster with copper pins in the ebony handles on the 12C27 stainless blade.

And this  with giraffe bone handles and titanium pins with 3 SS pins in the curve backed buff horn bolster on the 1095 blade.

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #41 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 11:57am
Print Post  
These are ready to ship
#1 is a Hunter skinner with raindrop damascus, buff bolsters and macrocarpa handles.
#2 is another giraffe bone handled Safari Knife
#3 is a buffalo handled Hunter skinner
#4 is an Acacia handled skinner and
#5 is a Skinner for me with curve backed copper bolsters and giraffe bone handles. Have given thae previous ones away but might just keep a hold of this one.

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #42 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Finally finished the impala horn handled knives and quite pleased with the result. I used rimu as the bolster with a piece of black G10 facing and ebony for the pommel.

The ebony pommel was treated like the bolster end and socketed into the horn end with the threaded rod drilled into the ebony to create another gripping surface for the epoxy.

I added black dye to the epoxy and waited for everything to set up overnight.

This gave me the basis for the handle so a shaping session was next.

And with a fine sand and buffed it was time to add the finish to the resulting handle.

Looking from underneath or the blade edge side

and from the top or spine side.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards