Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic NZ Alpine hunting: Injury, first aid training & gear survey (Read 1702 times)
DrM@WildernessEMC
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

NZ Alpine hunting: Injury, first aid training & gear survey
Jan 23rd, 2018 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Hi,
This is my first post and I need to make 5 postings before I can post a web link.

Please keep reading

Cheesy

Twitter  
IP Logged

DrM@WildernessEMC
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: NZ Alpine hunting: Injury, first aid training & gear survey
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Hi everyone!

Hi , my name is Malin.
I am a (retired due to a rare kind of muscular dystrophy) medical doctor with a special interest in NZ outdoor first aid /pre hospital emergency care. I have been volunteering with Horizons Unlimited in Christchurch for a number of years now, refreshing the medical curriculum and I may have met some of you during our PHEC courses.

This is my second post, please keep reading until I can post the link in my 6th post  Cheesy

Twitter  
IP Logged

DrM@WildernessEMC
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
I am currently undertaking some independent research with regards to Hunter specific injuries, injury prevention and emergency management by hunters for themselves and their hunting companions.

Id be super stoked if you would take the time and effort to complete this survey.

The first part of the survey is to get some idea of what sore of injuries you may have sustained in the course of your hunt.
It has 10 questions and won't take very long to complete.
You may stay totally anonymous is you wish or if you want to take part in further research & fact finding or to find out the results of the survey you can let me have your email. I will never use your name in any of the research, which I hope to publish at some stage.

This is my third post, please keep reading until I can post the links for the survey!

Grin

Twitter  
IP Logged

DrM@WildernessEMC
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
The second part of the survey is about First Aid training and what rescue/survival gear you carry.
I had to make it in two parts because otherwise Survey Monkey charges a subscription fee, and I am too tight to pay.

This is my fourth post, please keep reading!
Cool

Twitter  
IP Logged

DrM@WildernessEMC
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
This is my 5th post.

If you are on twitter, please check out my account, it has lots of NZ wilderness medicine stuff on it!

I hope you have stuck with me this far, posting the links to the surveys in next post! Grin

Twitter  
IP Logged

DrM@WildernessEMC
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Hi everyone!

Hi , my name is Malin.
I am a (retired due to a rare kind of muscular dystrophy) medical doctor with a special interest in NZ outdoor first aid /pre hospital emergency care. I have been volunteering with Horizons Unlimited in Christchurch for a number of years now, refreshing the medical curriculum and I may have met some of you during our PHEC courses.
I am currently undertaking some independent research with regards to Hunter specific injuries, injury prevention and emergency management by hunters for themselves and their hunting companions.

Id be super stoked if you would take the time and effort to complete this survey.

The first part of the survey is to get some idea of what sore of injuries you may have sustained in the course of your hunt.
It has 10 questions and won't take very long to complete.
You may stay totally anonymous is you wish or if you want to take part in further research & fact finding or to find out the results of the survey you can let me have your email. I will never use your name in any of the research, which I hope to publish at some stage.

The second part of the survey is about First Aid training and what rescue/survival gear you carry.
I had to make it in two parts because otherwise Survey Monkey charges a subscription fee, and I am too tight to pay.

Cheers,

Malin

this is the link to part 1

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HBR8T6C

Here is part 2 of the survey

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HZ7WQY7

I appreciate all responses and any constructive criticism or comments of general safety first aid and rescue gear nature.

Thanks in advance!
Cheesy

Twitter  
IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 7:33am
Print Post  
Good idea, but seems a bit light on questions.

Factors such as type of terrain when taking a fall, weather, surface, season, time of day, walking in or out, ... could have neted you a heap more information on particular risk situations and outcomes.

Smiley

We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
IP Logged

DrM@WildernessEMC
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #7 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 8:14am
Print Post  
Hi Headcase,
Thank you for your comment.
You are totally right and my only reason for not going more into depth with questions is that one is only allowed 10 questions per survey without paying a subscription fee to Survey Monkey.
I currently do not have an income since I am no longer able to work.

However, several respondents are submitting their email addresses as being interested in helping out with further research in this field.

So far ,overall, I have received  39 responses to the first part and 31 to the second part.

I am delighted to hear you would be interested in taking part in further research and I know where to get hold of you.

First I want to collect as many responses as possible to these two surveys, I need about 500  for each part in order to make it statistically significant.

I am super stoked to have been told yesterday that the NZ Hunter magazine are keen to feature the surveys in a future issue.

Any further help in achieving the numbers would be most appreciated!

Cheers,
Malin  Smiley

Twitter  
IP Logged

southotago hern

Meat hunter for life

Reply #8 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
I'm not sure what the main occupation of hunter's on this site would be but a lot of job's ive had in agriculture put employies through a basic first aid . This has served me well with refresher course's to keep up with current practices.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #9 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Basic first aid should be a condition of getting a FAL.  Cheesy

We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
IP Logged

Ackley 25-06
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #10 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Done and I hope the information supplied helps  Smiley Good luck.

IP Logged

DrM@WildernessEMC
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #11 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Good Morning!
Just a quick thank you to everyone has completed the surveys so far.
To date I have received 69 responses to the injury part and 49 to the first aid training and gear part (part2).

Several accounts of misadventure and bravery, some very valid comments and a few cracking quotes which I will use in the write up!

Please mention the surveys  to any of your hunting companions, all  contributions will help to make this a solid piece of research which  I can then use to base future training initiatives on.

Cheers,
Malin
Smiley

Twitter  
IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #12 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Jan 26th, 2018 at 8:48am:
Basic first aid should be a condition of getting a FAL. Cheesy

Hell yeah!  Cool

IP Logged

Sayonara
Donor Member

Always ready to learn

Reply #13 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Sorted.

IP Logged

DrM@WildernessEMC
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #14 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Hi all,

Hope you are enjoying the warm weather, I'm looking ofward to winter  Grin

Quick feedback, so fat there are 87 replies to the Injury part of my survey and 72 to the First Aid training and gear part of the survey.

I'm really grateful to all of you and there is a lot of really interesting data coming in.

If any of you who have done the survey have any questions, please don't hesitate to post them on here and I will only be too happy to do my best to answer them.

If you think any of your mates might be interested, please ask them to do the surveys, too.

Cheers for now,
Malin

Twitter  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards