Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Introduction and training a deer indicating dog to hunt in front (Read 1450 times)
Olly
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Introduction and training a deer indicating dog to hunt in front
Jan 23rd, 2018 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Hi Guys, my name is Olly and I'm from the UK and found this forum via another forum I am a member of in the UK (The Stalking Directory). I have been hunting deer (fallow mainly but also roe and muntjac) for only about 6 years most of which is in forest/woodland or open arable fields.

I haven't had a deer dog before (had pet dogs) and in the UK dogs aren't really used to indicate deer at all. Either they have been used in packs to run stags down (now outlawed) or brought out to track a wounded or lost deer after the shot, often 24-48 hours later. It is because of this lack of deer dog hunting that I have come here to get any help and learn from the guys who have deer indicating dogs.

I am picking up a Wirehaired Vizsla puppy in three weeks and can't wait to start training the basics in obedience. One thing that I can't find info on (especially in the UK) is how to get the dog to hunt steadily in front of me. All UK training is specific to getting the dog to walk to heel or HPR hunting having it running off miles ahead covering open ground at speed and then pointing birds. whilst I appreciate that any hunting training is a way off yet I want to find out more and get my head around it before I get the dog and start the basics.

Looking forward to your replies and help.

IP Logged

Kawhia
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Introduction and training a deer indicating dog to hunt in front
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 8:59am
Print Post  
It is covered by teaching it to walk at heel.
Or walking or leading with the dog under control 100%.

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. Performance indicates what the animal actually is."

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
The method I used on my current dog requires a stop and turn in combination with a long lead.  Not easily explained, particularly over the internet.   

Was certainly the most difficult part of the equation.

Dan

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Make sure you have a dog that is very calm in temperament, naturally and not inclined to want to cover the ground flat out. You want a dog that wants to please you and is smart too. Then you want to PM Trusty 222 and ask him to post a clip here on how to train it in to a dog. He does it for a living.

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 6:58am
Print Post  
Look up The Deer Dog Blueprint
Itís on Vimeo
You can Download whichever section you want, or just buy the whole thing.

IP Logged

stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2018 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
The deer dog blueprint on vimeo will explain everything. Unless one of the good buggers on here such as trusty222 can help you out.

Sako-Tikka-Howa-Lee Enfield-Franchi-Vortex-Leupold-Black Labrador
YouTube  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards