Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What's the Most Popular Gundog Breed in NZ? (Read 629 times)
Tatonka
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

What's the Most Popular Gundog Breed in NZ?
Jan 23rd, 2018 at 4:59am
Print Post  
I'm just curious as to what the most popular gundog breed is in NZ.  I have 7 Springers and a Llewellin Setter.  Here in Montana we have a lot of upland birds to hunt...Pheasants, Huns, Sharptail Grouse, Sage Grouse, Blue Grouse, and Ruffed Grouse.  There are a few Chukars in isolated pockets from what I understand.   I don't hunt rabbits with my dogs and I don't hunt waterfowl, although there are excellent numbers of both.   I use the Springers primarily on pheasant and my Llewellin on Huns and Sharptails.  I've bred and trained Springers for about 30 years now...  My Springers are from field lines, obviously...

Labs are the most popular breed here...   Far too many are being bred by people who do not know what they are doing....

IP Logged

Kawhia
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: What's the Most Popular Gundog Breed in NZ?
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 8:50am
Print Post  
Same situation here, labs are the number one.
Upland for the dedicated hunter are spaniels or the pointing breeds.

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. Performance indicates what the animal actually is."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards