Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Rabbit Shooting With Thermal Gear In Central Otago (Read 7704 times)
Ackley

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Rabbit Shooting With Thermal Gear In Central Otago
Reply #45 - May 17th, 2018 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
HC if you were  buying an ir scope what would be your choice on something like a 223

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #46 - May 17th, 2018 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Ackley wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 6:25pm:
HC if you were  buying an ir scope what would be your choice on something like a 223

the best you can afford,   and if youve been spoilt with a taste of thermal imaging then save your money and get thermal instead as your ir scope will sit on the shelf and gather dust like mine. its just not the same  Cry

IP Logged

Jake77
Donor Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #47 - May 17th, 2018 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Hey HC curious to know what the model and brand of your digiscope you are selling is? how much you after for it?

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #48 - May 18th, 2018 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
I will pm you Jake.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #49 - May 18th, 2018 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
gonehuntin wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 7:37pm:

the best you can afford,   and if youve been spoilt with a taste of thermal imaging then save your money and get thermal instead as your ir scope will sit on the shelf and gather dust like mine. its just not the same  Cry

Theres some good advice there but to be fair the new IR Digiscopes are a step up from the original. I shot thousands of rabbits using a digiscope on a 10/22 with subs and cleared a whole area that was set to be 1080d, so they have their worth as a cheaper alternative.It is true though that a good thermal is lovely to use. Just a lot more money involved.

The Ir illuminated shows the eyes of the rabbit particularly well. They look back at you like a couple of big flashlights, where as the thermal shows the whole rabbit glowing like a neon sign.

On a .223 id definitely be thinking big thermal..

.17 hmr, medium size thermal but big is better..

on a .22 with subs,  Digiscope works very well. I particularly liked it in scrubby areas where the ranges were short to moderate, and the quiet subs gave a bit of an edge.

Out of interest what it the model you have gathering dust. There was one modell i did not like at all although its no longer sold.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #50 - May 18th, 2018 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
not sure what model it is HC, just went to look but wifey mustve moved or packed it (moving house fun times  Angry )   to be honest I never used it for bunnies and I should probably give it a 2nd chance as we are hitting the bunnies hard for petfood now.
I originaly got it for pig and deer control and was a waste of time on the 308 as didnt have the range I wanted, thermal handheld and maxtoch was far more effective.

IP Logged

Yukon_NZ
Donor Member

I love huntin', fishin',
and quality toys.

Reply #51 - May 18th, 2018 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
If you don't shoot the rabbits, there'll be no food for the wallabies  Undecided

IP Logged

Yukon_NZ
Donor Member

I love huntin', fishin',
and quality toys.

Reply #52 - May 18th, 2018 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on May 18th, 2018 at 12:47pm:
gonehuntin wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 7:37pm:

Theres some good advice there but to be fair the new IR Digiscopes are a step up from the original. I shot thousands of rabbits using a digiscope on a 10/22 with subs and cleared a whole area that was set to be 1080d, so they have their worth as a cheaper alternative.It is true though that a good thermal is lovely to use. Just a lot more money involved.

The Ir illuminated shows the eyes of the rabbit particularly well. They look back at you like a couple of big flashlights, where as the thermal shows the whole rabbit glowing like a neon sign.

On a .223 id definitely be thinking big thermal..

.17 hmr, medium size thermal but big is better..

on a .22 with subs,  Digiscope works very well. I particularly liked it in scrubby areas where the ranges were short to moderate, and the quiet subs gave a bit of an edge.

Out of interest what it the model you have gathering dust. There was one modell i did not like at all although its no longer sold.

The new Pulsar Digisight Ultra (a Digiscope is what surgeons stick up bottoms), is significantly better than other NV scopes, competing head-on with Gen2+. It's taken a while, but they are only set to get better.

I was out last night with a thermal hand-held and the new Yukon Photon RT 6x50 mounted on my .22lr BRNO model 2. I was testing a new clip-on laser rangefinder, and it worked a treat. The farm has both orchard and flat paddock, and most misses are due to distance miscalculation. This wee LRF unit meant that every shot was within range. It's not perfect though, the read-out is a bit bright, so that need to be addressed. Hoping to give it a good workout in Tekapo next week.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #53 - May 18th, 2018 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Yes sorry they are actually labelled a "Digisight", not scope. Its just what I always called it as it goes on the top of a gun.  Smiley

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #54 - May 18th, 2018 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Im sorry to say there is no shooting in the Mackenzie  at the moment as the virus is taking such a heavy toll on the rabbit population.  Cry

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #55 - May 20th, 2018 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on May 18th, 2018 at 4:32pm:
Im sorry to say there is no shooting in the Mackenzie  at the moment as the virus is taking such a heavy toll on the rabbit population.  Cry

Really?

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #56 - May 20th, 2018 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Grin sorry Padox, sometimes id do better to just shut up. Twas dry humor.

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

Reply #57 - May 20th, 2018 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on May 18th, 2018 at 4:32pm:

You had me as well  Grin

IP Logged

Yukon_NZ
Donor Member

I love huntin', fishin',
and quality toys.

Reply #58 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
I was reviewing some of our video taken with the Trail and Helion. There's some pretty gory exploding rabbit sequences  Cool

I'll send a link once I've finished the vid.

My 9yo daughter thinks I'm a monster  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards