Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Rabbit Shooting With Thermal Gear In Central Otago (Read 8367 times)
timmyb
Donor Member

Re: Rabbit Shooting With Thermal Gear In Central Otago
Reply #30 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 5:49am
Print Post  
How long does it take for rabbits to reset after being blasted?

I returned to a farm 1 week after having a shotgunning session and there were noticeably less bunnies. Two weeks for them to relax again?

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #31 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 8:25am
Print Post  
How long is a piece of string.  Might depend on just how disturbed they were, or some rabbits have very long memories.

A couple of things Ill throw in for consideration. May or may not be true.. you decide

+ Every time a rabbit has a negative experience it can directly associate with the sound of a vehicle or shots, it learns to flee. If that experience is repeated the better it learns.  Animal behavioural experts would call it a conditioned reflex like Pavlovs Dogs salivating.

+ Conditioned rabbits that flee, train less conditioned rabbits to flee, such as a mother with a litter of younger rabbits out on an exploratory mission.

+ sometimes that flight response appears to be less if the weather, vegetation height,  or feed conditions are just right. eg if the rabbit is heavily pregnant or has a full belly, they may tend to just hunker down real low. The moon or temperature and atmospheric conditions may also play a role.  High winds can also have this effect. I love shooting im a nor west storm.

But in answer to your question.. there is a noticeable difference on rested areas, the longer the better. A year is a dream but there will be way too many rabbits. 2 months is good from a practical point of controlling numbers and getting a good balance.

From a control point of view, rabbiters on here that Ive talked to would probably say an area should be shot every 3 weeks.

its important also that when entering an area, that every rabbit seen is shot dead, no missing, no shooting just 2 of a group of ten, no wounding that one rabbit starts squealing..

Id be interested to hear other experiences on this?

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

timmyb
Donor Member

Reply #32 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
My experience is often taking first time or infrequent shooters out for an evening to get them into a bit of hunting so frequent misses. The only thing that mitigates it I only get put every two or three weeks and have a few properties to cover so they end up getting a decent rest in between

Really helpful to her your thought especially the three week time period

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #33 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
timmyb wrote on Feb 10th, 2018 at 12:50pm:
My experience is often taking first time or infrequent shooters out for an evening to get them into a bit of hunting so frequent misses. The only thing that mitigates it I only get put every two or three weeks and have a few properties to cover so they end up getting a decent rest in between

Really helpful to her your thought especially the three week time period

I do it a lttle differenty which suits better the ammount of time I can be shooting.

When entering a new area or an area that has not been shot recently, assuming its a reasonalble night for shooting, I will shot the same area two nights in a row, and then go back a third time after resting it 2-3 weeks.  When moving forward from area to area, Ill always overlap the previous days work.

Depending on the density of rabbits you may need to adjsut the number of nights you initially shoot an area.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Yukon_NZ
Donor Member

I love huntin', fishin',
and quality toys.

Reply #34 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Weathered wrote on Jan 22nd, 2018 at 9:02pm:
Short clip of rabbit shooting work.  18 minutes 32 Rabbits 32 shots,  Except for the titles this is unedited.  The gun cam on the  optic only does 6 minute chunks of video before making another file.
These recordings shut the accountants up when they complain about the bill.  In one nights shooting the ammo bill was $800 alone  Grin

https://vimeo.com/251905990

So, that's what you are using our scopes for, killing rabbits! You swines, have never seen 'Watership Down'?

IP Logged

Yukon_NZ
Donor Member

I love huntin', fishin',
and quality toys.

Reply #35 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 8:25am:
How long is a piece of string.  Might depend on just how disturbed they were, or some rabbits have very long memories.

A couple of things Ill throw in for consideration. May or may not be true.. you decide

+ Every time a rabbit has a negative experience it can directly associate with the sound of a vehicle or shots, it learns to flee. If that experience is repeated the better it learns.  Animal behavioural experts would call it a conditioned reflex like Pavlovs Dogs salivating.

+ Conditioned rabbits that flee, train less conditioned rabbits to flee, such as a mother with a litter of younger rabbits out on an exploratory mission.

+ sometimes that flight response appears to be less if the weather, vegetation height,  or feed conditions are just right. eg if the rabbit is heavily pregnant or has a full belly, they may tend to just hunker down real low. The moon or temperature and atmospheric conditions may also play a role.  High winds can also have this effect. I love shooting im a nor west storm.

But in answer to your question.. there is a noticeable difference on rested areas, the longer the better. A year is a dream but there will be way too many rabbits. 2 months is good from a practical point of controlling numbers and getting a good balance.

From a control point of view, rabbiters on here that Ive talked to would probably say an area should be shot every 3 weeks.

its important also that when entering an area, that every rabbit seen is shot dead, no missing, no shooting just 2 of a group of ten, no wounding that one rabbit starts squealing..

Id be interested to hear other experiences on this?

I totally agree with your comments about behavouvioural conditioning, but would also add that in any group of animals, some will be genetically predisposed to flight, and will therefore pass these genes on. Combined, this can make them, what is scientifically known as, 'tricky little pricks to shoot'.

IP Logged

Yukon_NZ
Donor Member

I love huntin', fishin',
and quality toys.

Reply #36 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Jan 25th, 2018 at 7:34am:
The Thermal already has a weakness. Thats the small amount of light emitted by the screen that reflects off your face. Im convinced rabbits can see this and its enough to give them a heads up. The % of times they bolt just at the exact moment the cross hairs are put on them tells me something is going on. Its uncanny

They are already learning..

I'm a little surprised that colour pallets are unavailable on the riflescopes, as I find the sepia or red option on the Helion is not only more restful for the eye, but would be steathier also. I can ask my factory rep if there will be a firmware update for this in the future. On the otherhand, a piece of red cellophane or rubylith on the ocular lens my help. Anybody out there who knows what rubylith is? 😉

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #37 - Apr 5th, 2018 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Me too. One other thing I dont understand is no sound on the recorder.

IP Logged

TedFisher
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #38 - May 4th, 2018 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Wow, great video! it{is really interesting how the rabbits looks aware of something happens

IP Logged

poodle
Donor Member

meat is murder, tasty
tasty murder.

Reply #39 - May 5th, 2018 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Can you use it for dayshooting too? Just between you and me how much did the unit cost and w h at model is it? I promise I wont tell the accountant.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #40 - May 5th, 2018 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
They are aware because the shooter is standing on the back of a ute.. motor running, gunshots, maybe a very faint light reflecting off the shooters face.

Thats why not missing, ever, has its advantages.. no learned flight response behaviour.

Yes they can be used early morning, sun up and are very effective. As soon as strong sun is in the landscape, over a period of time, they become less effective as the landscape heats up.

On a cool day, or an overcast day especially if there is a wind blowing, that evens out the overall temperature, they are still effective, althought the overall picture suffers from a reduction in contrast.. hot rabbits in a cool daytime landscape still stand out like the proverbials though..  Smiley

IP Logged

Jake77
Donor Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #41 - May 16th, 2018 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Interesting Video, wondering if any of the pros on this thread can tell me how you typically charge for jobs like this?

Have been asked to come up with a price to do some pest control on some new landscape planting areas in chch area, usually just do it for free but this commercial client is keen to pay for it and might give me the excuse to get a thermal unit  Wink. Thinking time + expenses but what is a typical hourly rate assuming you are reasonably efficient?

Apologies in advance if inappropriate to ask in this forum, just keen to have some basis for throwing some numbers at them.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #42 - May 17th, 2018 at 8:43am
Print Post  
$60 and hour minimum, if you serious about covering your costs  They will choke but consider a gun which needs replacing depending on your choice of calibre, and probably a thermal unit costing about 8 big ones, and only has a 3 year garrantee on it.

You bring the skills and some expensive gear with you. Remember that.

There are top quality night vision scope at half the price bit that is IR illumination, not thermal.

IR illuminated is good, the good ones such as Yukon gear, but the thermal is a whole different level.

On top of the hourly rate come costs of ammo and travelling time at least one way.

What sort of range will you be shooting to?

If you do decice to buy one contact me and Ill help you in more detail.

IP Logged

Jake77
Donor Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #43 - May 17th, 2018 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Cheers Headcase, advice much appreciated. Site is long and narrow, I would expect most shots would be within 50-75m so thinking would mostly be .22LR work, perhaps some PCP action nearer the built up areas. Have played with some DIY night vision setups - have their place but after having a look at a pulsar thermal unit recently they don't really compare! If I was going to get into any thermal gear would aim to get something suitable for longer ranges & general hunting as well as use as a spotter for general pest population surveys. Would mean i would have to put a bit more energy into finding more of these type of jobs to justify it to the powers at be at home but could actually be good filler when the landscaping slows down in winter. 

Shame no-one rents units as this would be a good way to get access on a project specific basis without massive investment.

Will just have to give them a pitch and see what happens!

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #44 - May 17th, 2018 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Ok for such a small site a much less expensive IR illuminated scope should be good enough. I have one mounted on a PCP at the moment which is proving very good for closer range in high people volume areas..

I have an older digiscope one for sale, but the newer ones are a step up so that might be the way to go.

If your looking to expand your business though a thermal is the way to go. Being able to even just film densities with a th. scope, which is  very easy and replay that to a client will give you a huge advantage.

Youll frighten the shit out of them.  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards