Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Re: Paper roads...? (Read 2821 times)
RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Paper roads...?
Jan 20th, 2018 at 10:05am
Print Post  
The surveyed road has to be the actual road otherwise you're technically trespassing, if anything try get a gps with the legal road and boundaries. I think I know the block you're talking about, quite a long road and I doubt you'd be able to drive on it unless you've got access and keys etc.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Always remember that anyone/everyone who purchased land at some time, will have been made aware  by their conveyancing lawyer that there is LEGAL ACCESS via an unformed legal road through their title (property). Get a decent gps and load the WAMS data onto it and you are off. Legally you can use whatever mode of transport you wish to use, to travel the unformed legal road, but you will need to stay on the legal alignment. Otherwise, as said, you will be trespassing. Gates are not permitted to be locked. many are. Depending on your mode of transport this may or may not be a challenge Wink  Two wheels deal with obstacles a whole lot easier than four Cool

IP Logged

Pigs
Just Joined

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Thanks for that. Yip it has a locked gate but have a bike that I will use to get there. I have the Garmin alpha 100 gps do you know how to upload the wams map onto it?

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Is it worth the trouble and risk?

Most of these sorts of excursions end in tears.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
BC wrote on Jan 20th, 2018 at 4:00pm:
Is it worth the trouble and risk?

Most of these sorts of excursions end in tears.

My thoughts too, there is no eldorado. Plenty of deer on easily accesable areas.  You going past that locked gate with just a paper road and a couple of posts on the forum as jsutification could put you in a very difficult possition as soon as you take your bike and gun beyond that gate. Smiley 

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Pigs
Just Joined

Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
I asked on here for a opinion and by the sounds of things it’s worth looking into. I will talk to local council first and get a print out of a map from then. This block holds a lot of pigs from what I’ve heard and if it’s legal to go up there why not.? I’m not into poaching but if there’s a legit spot to go for a hunt on that isn’t thrashed and takes a but of ground work to get in there I’ll do. Thanks for the reply’s guys.

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
What you will often run into with these paper roads is a property owner who's place they go through have through custom and practice enjoyed the use of it for grazing or what ever for a long time (maybe generations) without interference.

Then out of the blue a hunter comes and uses it for access (or attempts to).

A clash is inevitable - a customary right versus a legal right.

I know the fuss that can ensue from both perspectives. It can get nasty and messy.

A sensible person who wants to use a paper road for hunting access would still seek permission from who ever's property it runs through. A wise person would find somewhere else to hunt if the answer is "no".

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 6:55am
Print Post  
What you as the legal paper road access bloke, is know what has happened previously on the farm as far poaching damage to property, livestock and machinary. And, some of that willfull damage can have occured just a short time before you turn up.

Some typical sorts of quite serious things I have seen are tires being shot out on farm machinary, tampering or  theft from tractors, gates lifted off hinges or dissapearing altogether, stock shot and butchered or just dissapearing altogether, sometimes in quite large numbers.

The confrontation and unpleasentness is then inveitable, and possibly even a chat to the Police about damage that you have nothing to do with, but your just being there can put you on the list of suspicious persons.

It happens, and the amount of poaaching and damage on this property is not something you can be aware of before you go there, unless youve had a chat to whoever manages the place, and got all your ducks lined up in a row.

Good luck anyway.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

dribbler

Reply #8 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 11:31am
Print Post  
What happened to the beginning of this post.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #9 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
The only thing that can have happened is that the poster deleted it? or again perhaps a bug.

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
I think this thread is a hoot cos I have a paper rd go through our place and on a GPS and on pepper the rd winds it's way up a hill and straight up a vertical bluff system so I would b fairly  careful about doing it without permission from land owner

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #11 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Everyone knows your place has heaps of deer on it and you want them gone.  Grin

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 5:53am
Print Post  
Whose place?

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

Reply #13 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
padox wrote on Jan 21st, 2018 at 5:01pm:
I think this thread is a hoot cos I have a paper rd go through our place and on a GPS and on pepper the rd winds it's way up a hill and straight up a vertical bluff system so I would b fairly  careful about doing it without permission from land owner

What about when the road actually aligns? Would you care then? Plenty of landowners try their luck with legitimate roads.

Personally I'd get permission or ring the landowner up and if he says no then you can say it's not illegal to use a public road provided you can prove you've been within the surveyed road (20m wide)

I'm all for being a good bugger but sometimes landowner's are unreasonable assholes that try to block public access. Know your legal rights and go for it, blocks like this are good because of the landowners protecting it for us  Wink

Don't poach and no one can do anything legally. Public roads and access should be available to the public, they knew the road was their before they bought it.

Anyone know how to load a good map system with the roading? Keen to check a few more of these areas myself.

IP Logged

sidney
Forum Font

Reply #14 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
padox wrote on Jan 21st, 2018 at 5:01pm:

I think its a hoot that you think that the farmer owns a paper road

"But thus I counsel you, my friends: Mistrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful. They are people of a low sort and stock; the hangmen and the bloodhound look out of their faces. Mistrust all who talk much of their justice!"  Nietzsche

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards