Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5 (Read 8936 times)
Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Re: RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5
Reply #90 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/the-country/news/article.cfm?c_id=16&objectid=1204214...
First signs of some truth to effectiveness of virus release...As expected ORC have washed hands with it and not offering any comment and happy to pass on to anothe agency lol...
I'd just get on with secondary control of I were a farmer...Poison and shooting here we come...  Tongue

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #91 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Going to order two tons of pellets this week, ready for the coming colder month.  Wink

Im leaving alone the immediate areas around where the virus was released though in the hope that it will take foot there.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

scottrods
Forum Font

Aim small, Hit small

Reply #92 - May 1st, 2018 at 9:59am
Print Post  
My mate in Tarras says there has been no effect as yet.
He's hoping the late winter burrow time will knock the spring splurge over.

Kids who learn to Hunt and Fish,
Don't learn to Steal and Deal.

IP Logged

Finnscout
Donor Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #93 - May 3rd, 2018 at 9:01pm
Print Post  

The K5 release had little impact in my neck of the woods.
Every year there is a die off period to both RHDV and mixo, I’d say about 40% is a good estimation.
Keeps them in check.

I’ve never seen number like in your pic headcase, how are the fences now ? Smiley

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #94 - May 4th, 2018 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Actually the cocky had come in early morning and cut all the strands bout 300 meters further back because he was removing all  the fences before installation of pivot irrigation.  He then drove long, and saw all the rabbits. Gave me a phone call at 8am all worried that a couple had dropped on the ground lol..

He was quite impressed though.

I have a picture that I cant find of round 5000 gutted rabbits all hung along a fence in the shade of a shelterbelt. It was deep winter and the shooters left them there in the freezing temerature and shade for 4 days adding to them everynight.. They were desened for pet food. A really impressive pic. Wish I could find it.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

len6163
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #95 - May 13th, 2018 at 2:42am
Print Post  
Hi In Western Australia we have seen a rapid decline in rabbit numbers in southern WA properties but a return of numbers in Northern Wa properties, why I dont know maybe the northern propertys due to some reason got a weak dose and built up an immunity.
Cheers
Len

IP Logged

Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Reply #96 - May 16th, 2018 at 11:00am
Print Post  
https://www.odt.co.nz/rural-life/rural-life-other/farmer-claims-k5-rabbit-virus-...

New ORC boss could use this failure as a blueprint for her restructure proposal... Grin

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

Reply #97 - May 16th, 2018 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Releasing RHDV2 I doubt will help either ,it has alot to do with the way the illegal release was handled 21 years ago.Mistakes were made and now seems there's a price to pay. 

IP Logged

Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Reply #98 - May 16th, 2018 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
It will be rolled out as the main factor in the failure of this virus for sure...and I'd say it's fair to a point...but really the failure was disbanding a structured control programme and not replacing with a plausable alternative and then farmers taking things into their own hands...
What lead to the illegal release is the problem...not the release itself!

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #99 - May 16th, 2018 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Deer Whisperer wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 3:56pm:
It will be rolled out as the main factor in the failure of this virus for sure...and I'd say it's fair to a point...but really the failure was disbanding a structured control programme and not replacing with a plausable alternative and then farmers taking things into their own hands...

Yes that sounds right.  Lets put things in perspective. It was realeased illegally out of desperation. The effects where stunning round here in the Mackenzie. There were thousands of white bellies visable within a week. I have been assurred the air stunk of rotting flesh for 3 weeks.

I imagine it had a similar effect in Otago.

Everyone patted themselves on the back and relaxed again thinking that was that. Problem solved. Any rabbit control work that might of been planned was shelved. There was little or no follow up work done. That was a big mistake.

IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

Reply #100 - May 19th, 2018 at 11:04am
Print Post  
I would imagine the LLOBC would have to be nuked before any attempt be made to eradicate rabbits,,cant see that ever happening  Cool
All sorts have been trying to do the impossible for many decades and tiday they are still pissin into the wind Grin
The world should look up to the great  God of Bugs for he alone has and will continue to keep many in a job. Cool

Wrinkles are the map of your soulful journey,,,you'd be lost without them,,

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

Reply #101 - May 20th, 2018 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
EC wrote on May 19th, 2018 at 11:04am:
I would imagine the LLOBC would have to be nuked before any attempt be made to eradicate rabbits,,cant see that ever happening  Cool
All sorts have been trying to do the impossible for many decades and tiday they are still pissin into the wind Grin
The world should look up to the great  God of Bugs for he alone has and will continue to keep many in a job. Cool

arnt that the truth ,Well said .

IP Logged

Bos
Donor Member

Reply #102 - May 21st, 2018 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 5:55pm:
Deer Whisperer wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 3:56pm:

Yes that sounds right.  Lets put things in perspective. It was realeased illegally out of desperation. The effects where stunning round here in the Mackenzie. There were thousands of white bellies visable within a week. I have been assurred the air stunk of rotting flesh for 3 weeks.

I imagine it had a similar effect in Otago.

Everyone patted themselves on the back and relaxed again thinking that was that. Problem solved. Any rabbit control work that might of been planned was shelved. There was little or no follow up work done. That was a big mistake.

The effects were stunning in all 3 rabbit prone areas of the SI  (Central, McKenzie and inland Marlborough).
Really great example of "taking advantage" is Middlehurst in the Awatere. Been through there a few times and hard to believe what the country used to look like compared with today. I probably saw it at its worst; no different to Earnscleugh or Sawdon for that matter.
Just a different attitude and different approach to farm management once the virus tipped the rabbits over in 98

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #103 - May 21st, 2018 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
the rabbits are very visible today on Sawdon, even though the bloke does his best with annual pindone carrot. Its a big area though.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

22plinker

Reply #104 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Not sure if this is connected but there has been a 875% increase in barn owl sickness reports since last year.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-12/something-killing-barn-owls-in-victoria/99...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards