Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5 (Read 11082 times)
Duxbac

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5
Reply #75 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
I wonder why the Rabbit virus was released at the end of summer, instead of during the hot summer months, if they are going to rely on the fly as well to help spread it. As most of us know here in N.Z. during the winter months there are bugger all. Roll Eyes

AIM  
IP Logged

Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Reply #76 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
The authorities will claim its optimum time with breeding cycles etc..blah blah blah...an argument could be had to do it anytime other than spring really...but to be honest I laugh at the time it was delayed for sign off and no real tight and well co-ordinated ground plan put in place
Problem is that Authorities and local Govt very good at justifying and bambozling public with facts and reason most uneducated accept on industries just like pest control...
On the plus side Wallaby hunting in 15years will be great in Cromwell, Alex and Nasby! Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

Reply #77 - Apr 28th, 2018 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Seems EO is reporting some dead rabbits due to K5 but the cunning buggers don't mention any numbers . Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #78 - Apr 28th, 2018 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Its good round Nasby already,i heard a couple of roos were shot while guys out hunting for stags.

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #79 - Apr 28th, 2018 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Duxbac wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 9:14pm:
I wonder why the Rabbit virus was released at the end of summer, instead of during the hot summer months, if they are going to rely on the fly as well to help spread it. As most of us know here in N.Z. during the winter months there are bugger all. Roll Eyes

Yes good thought and valid. Ive read that the K5 virus does well in a cooler climate so there may have been some confusion as to just what a temperature range constitutes a cooler climate. I doubt theres anywhere thats farmed in Oz that cool in winter actually compares to the coldness of areas in Otago and Canerbury.

The time of the year thats considered cool in Oz is just plain cold in NZ..

In the Mackenzie there hasnt been a single confirmation of killing rabbits till now but perhaps it just hasnt reached the news yet..

still waiting....perhaps someone from ecan knows something different.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #80 - Apr 28th, 2018 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Not a thing happening down here eather best keep that thermal warmed up hc

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

Reply #81 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 9:49am
Print Post  
It's known that the virus can wait up to a year for another host so while it may not make much head way during the winter it well might kick off come spring.

IP Logged

Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Reply #82 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
rabbiter wrote on Apr 29th, 2018 at 9:49am:
It's known that the virus can wait up to a year for another host so while it may not make much head way during the winter it well might kick off come spring.

This is not what authorities were planning for though...They took this time frame of spreading virus to optimise infection rate and get a kill count...all along ORC has said secondary control methods will need to be undertaken in winter and not to start until virus has done its thing...well nearly 8weeks has passed and another 4weeks and we are in winter....
So it looks like secondary control will fast track to initial control method if something does not happen quick smart!
Farmers have held of poison control methods on request and heavily rabbit infested farms are at breaking point with rabbit problem....
The only reason bugger all info or updates arnt coming through media is because the authorities having nothing positive to share...but an honest update of situation is needed including retweeking of message around control programmes this winter...

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

Reply #83 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Deer Whisperer wrote on Apr 29th, 2018 at 12:35pm:
rabbiter wrote on Apr 29th, 2018 at 9:49am:

This is not what authorities were planning for though...They took this time frame of spreading virus to optimise infection rate and get a kill count...all along ORC has said secondary control methods will need to be undertaken in winter and not to start until virus has done its thing...well nearly 8weeks has passed and another 4weeks and we are in winter....
So it looks like secondary control will fast track to initial control method if something does not happen quick smart!
Farmers have held of poison control methods on request and heavily rabbit infested farms are at breaking point with rabbit problem....
The only reason bugger all info or updates arnt coming through media is because the authorities having nothing positive to share...but an honest update of situation is needed including retweeking of message around control programmes this winter...

I agree,seems alot of landowners layed off on control awaiting the K5 release however this rabbit problem has been building for a number of years yet some landowners have done little in the way of control work instead relying the old virus to kill rabbits when in some areas it hasn't ,these areas have become much larger now as a result.At one site only in aussie K5 had the best result of 47% in Nz it was excepted that our rabbits would be effected to lesser % yet nobody asked what are we planing on doing with the other 63% left alive?

IP Logged

Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Reply #84 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Yes...it's a huge problem and I believe way past control now...hopes were pinned on this virus as a tool to get on top of problem then start some descent control programmes...
Although the new virus might well show some effects soon or in the future, it is not measuring up to expectations and very disheartening to all involved from farmers those who played part in getting it released...
I'm more dissapointed Authorities arnt front footing things better. If this release was as expected you bet they would have been heard taking credit and exhausting all media opportunities like prior to release...
They just need to front up and update people invested in the viability of this virus showing some positive effects!

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #85 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Makes rabbiters look great again.  Grin

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #86 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Apr 29th, 2018 at 2:38pm:
Makes rabbiters look great again.  Grin

yep but trying to get cockies to pay for its another thing, a new ute and overseas holiday always seems to come ahead of pest control.

IP Logged

Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Reply #87 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
ORC on website request

IP Logged

Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Reply #88 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
ORC on website request people to be patient and full effects could be six weeks or more..
I guess we are well and true my in the more category now and suspect if nothing substantial happens in month of May then September onwards will be the next window of hope!
Until then what!..i suspect without some updating people will be put shooting rabbits...some already have got back into it and given up any hope of virus having an impact...
Rabbiting as #1 control  method  future...imagine that! Grin

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #89 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
The ODT reported something totaly different today.

The experts are saying it should spread in a 20km radius form every release site over the winter..

This according to the information given to farmers around here is at total loggerheads.

They were told reportedly,, that it would spread within days..also most had no idea it was only a projected 40% kill rate. They all had visions of piles of dead rabbits blocking the driveway. Either the cockys wernt listening at the meetings they had, or the information was not given out in a consistent and understandable way. 

This is why its so very important to get the correct information disseminated right from day one.. this avoids high and false expectations.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards