Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5 (Read 8698 times)
rabbiter
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5
Reply #60 - Mar 31st, 2018 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Mar 31st, 2018 at 11:15am:
Was talking to a cocky last night who had caught 8 rabbits an put them in a cage. He Hand feed them laced carrot from day 1 since the release on the 20th.

Not one has died. He reckons they are just getting fatter.  Grin

That's VERY interesting.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #61 - Mar 31st, 2018 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Was talking to a cocky last night who had caught 8 rabbits an put them in a cage. He Hand feed them laced carrot from day 1 since the release on the 20th.

sounds like youll be doin a big ammo order soon  Grin   is it possible weve had something too similar here already and resistance Or just needs time?

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #62 - Mar 31st, 2018 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Good question. Im still hoping it will pick up as time goes by.

Ive read that is was a very patchy start in Aussie too.

In any case the general feeling seems to be that the Aussies just pissed into a bottle and sent that over..  Grin Grin

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

Reply #63 - Apr 1st, 2018 at 8:43am
Print Post  
gonehuntin wrote on Mar 31st, 2018 at 3:51pm:

sounds like youll be doin a big ammo order soon  Grin   is it possible weve had something too similar here already and resistance Or just needs time?

I think there's some truth to this. Our first release 20 odd years ago was "cooked"& several factors allowed it to become changed whereas the virus in aussie  remained more pure.HC is right it did have a slow start in aussie to begin with ,now dead rabbits are being found in most release sites,the % of the kill is unknown to me .

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #64 - Apr 1st, 2018 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
40% at better spots by last reporting.

Keep on shooting gentlemen.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

TLB
Forum Senior

Reply #65 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Hey fullas, any more updates?
Has just been released up here in hawkes bay.

AIM  
IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #66 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Still optimistic, but nothing to report so far.  Smiley

IP Logged

Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Reply #67 - Apr 21st, 2018 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
It's a complete flop...all this time waiting on approval by authorities and not one trial of caught wild grey rabbit organised before release to make sure it is effective.
Zero kills from ORC release sights from my sources...Watch the blame game start from Council to EPA etc....if media get a hold of the whole flop and poor handling of release will be entertaining if truth comes out...running around looking for farms to release virus in the 11th hour is not good management IMO
I laughed when on TV I saw massive circles on map by ORC Director Scott Mclean showing release sights bigger than some town's and districts...reminded me of the 7Days segment 'my kid could draw that'
If you want a problem to get bigger just give it to council...

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #68 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 8:02am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Reply #69 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 9:49am
Print Post  
Interesting we update Headcase...I will make some inquiries as no real detail provided...I will follow with interest.
Some authorities will be sleeping a little bit easier but still no signs of it meeting expected target rate. It is only 6weeks in since final release in Otage though.

IP Logged

Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Reply #70 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Update: Not one confirmed death from virus release so far in Otago.
Headcase I will send you a more thorough update.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #71 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
The advantages of doing regular controll work.

This 1000 hectare block consisting of 1/3 rolling undeveloped Tussock and two thirds Pine and developed paddocks, bounded by a deep creek, the state highway, the Tekapo canal and on the South end a large piece of public land, has been shot regularly for the last six years and bits of it Pindoned with pellets every year were it was needed. (Mothers little helper)

When we started shooting for petfood three guys could take 600 rabbits a night home. Later we slowed down shooting for petfood and just started doing mostly S&D and Pindone.  This pic was taken bout 3 years back, same time as now,  one shooter, rabbits right to the end of the fence you can see.  180 maybe.. from bout 200 hectares of the block. 

Spent 6 hours in there last night going over the whole thing,  with a thermal and shot 40 rabbits.

Huge difference. Control work is now relatively cheap.. just needs a tune up occasionally and a bit of mother's helper if they are getting  stropy. Fat bastards too, they dont get that big these days. Grin

IP Logged

Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Reply #72 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Yeah pindone in hard to shoot, scrubby, steep areas or extremely high numbers a good option.
Problem quite often is once poisoned problem solved in May minds. It's the mop up work that is most ignored but most important.
Farmers have a hard time doing the pros of a ped control operator getting paid to shoot 40 rabbits for night.
Education and a govt even if local backed sceme to promote follow up work is the answer.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #73 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
They should all buy a Pindone spreader. Often they are that tight when they Pindone they put out too little and hardly follow through with a second and third application.. and then lower the number of survivors with regular shooting. Not shy to say Pindone doesn't work though over a beer.

half them wouldn't know what  your talking about but they all know how to controll rabbits. 

Do nothing and hope for a virusGrin

I had a guy told me it didnt work because hed put out 20 tons of it and not much happened. I went to have a look later with a thermal and saw 10s of thousands of rabbits spread across the given area. No wonder it never worked, they all got one pellet.

Sometimes the 1080 looks like a good solution.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Reply #74 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Choosing the correct time and place to spread is the key...i agree fully with application rate as I too have seen  scrimping with follow up applications...pindone used correctly is an awesome tool and the good thing about it is it can be used often as due to long injestion and slow kill period the rabbits that get sub lethal are unaware of what made them sick and will feed on it again...1080 one chance and no room for era with rabbits on most occasions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards