Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5 (Read 13600 times)
bazz
Forum Senior

QueeNZlander

Re: RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5
Reply #30 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
goodbye Hares as well ...what a great waste of a food source ..millions starving and we waste good protein ...sheep meat is off the menu for many house holds , but most could afford a rabbit or 3 .

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #31 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Has it jumped species Bazz?

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Ackley

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #32 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
By the end of a good spring its knee high and then dries of and stays standing until eaten or flattened down in the autumn.
I do all my night work on foot so it doesn,t have to be real long to cause me a hassle plus the rocks make rabbit work a lot harder because of the heat they retain in summer
HC come over next spring and have a look and I'll take you out to chase sambar while your here Smiley

IP Logged

bazz
Forum Senior

QueeNZlander

Reply #33 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 9:08pm
Print Post  

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #34 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 10:54am
Print Post  
bazz wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 9:08pm:

I meant about the Hare comment. I don't think there have been report of this new virus spreading to hares in Aussie, but in Europe another similar virus is evidently killing both hares and rabbits.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

hauraki hunter
Donor Member

Reply #35 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 10:15am
Print Post  
The THAMES district council is going to release the virus i think its not needed in thames coromandel as most farms only seem to have a small  manageable population .The council is only concerned about rabbits on reserves /golf courses and cemeterys .On my farm there are more hares than rabbits the rabbits never cause a problem here on the hauraki plains a spotlight 2-3 times a year takes care of the population on my place plus my 3 legged foxy takes care of his share. Smiley

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #36 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Ackley wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 7:18pm:
By the end of a good spring its knee high and then dries of and stays standing until eaten or flattened down in the autumn.
I do all my night work on foot so it doesn,t have to be real long to cause me a hassle plus the rocks make rabbit work a lot harder because of the heat they retain in summer
HC come over next spring and have a look and I'll take you out to chase sambar while your here Smiley

Thats a very generous offer and Id love to. Ill put it on hold for the moment, but id be very interested.  Got a bit of family stuff going on in Aussie so have been over three times of late. First time over there in 40 years. Have rediscovered Australia after traveling the world and love the place. Have meet nothing  but very friendly and helpful people over there, plus an attractive lifestyle.....  Smiley

IP Logged

Ackley

Reply #37 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
The offer is open ended let me know if you change your mind

IP Logged

Dogwood
Just Joined

Reply #38 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Headcase,

In Gippsland at present rabbit numbers seem quite low. You usually see a few on the paddocks and roadsides but they have not been obvious over the past few months. I haven't seen a myxo rabbit in years so that is not what is causing this.

I was taking the dog for a walk most evenings up until three or four weeks ago and usually seeing a couple of hares and 15-25 rabbits each time. Numbers then dropped suddenly and the dog found one freshly dead under a boxthorn bush with no evidence of trauma and no evidence of poison in the area.

I assume that calici virus has pretty much eliminated this small but dense local rabbit population and has probably had a similar impact over a wider area. The local hares seem to have gone too but it could be they just moved on.

I guess that in areas in NZ with very dense populations of relatively young rabbits the new strain of calici virus might produce a high death rate as you should get rapid virus spread in a population that will probably lack innate resistance and immunity.

Every time a new virus is released here the advice to landowners is to rip burrows and remove harbour to stop them coming back but it never seems to happen in the real world.

Cheers

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #39 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Gippsland look like a really beautiful area. Ideal hare and rabbit country. Reminds me of the foothills of Canterbury.

Agree about lost opportunities. Thankfully the two main contracts I have are cockys who are fully aware of the importance of follow up work. Both have expressed privately to me they believe the biggest mistake ever made in NZ was after the illegal release of the RHD in the 90s. So many rabbits died suddenly that most cockys went out and bought a new vehicle rather than spend the money on further reduction of numbers.    Grin

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #40 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
hauraki hunter wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 10:15am:
The THAMES district council is going to release the virus i think its not needed in thames coromandel as most farms only seem to have a small  manageable population .The council is only concerned about rabbits on reserves /golf courses and cemeterys .On my farm there are more hares than rabbits the rabbits never cause a problem here on the hauraki plains a spotlight 2-3 times a year takes care of the population on my place plus my 3 legged foxy takes care of his share. Smiley

The good thing about hares is once you shoot numbers down, they take far longer to breed back, so control with shooting is actually possible.

Great sport and controllable if targeted annually, so would be a shame to see them disappear all together.

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

Reply #41 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 7:23am
Print Post  
It went out on Monday night & reports as of yesterday,dead rabbits seen .

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #42 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 7:31am
Print Post  
rabbiter wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 7:23am:

oh  really. In the Mackenzie the two prefeeds have just been done and the coordinated release is on the 20th. Im surprised it wasnt the same in Otago/Southland.

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

Reply #43 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 8:00am
Print Post  
Also released into Ida valley and one other site I know of at the moment ,these two sites are for landcare to check & monitor the level of effect K5 has given .Interesting times ahead but studies show, looking forward, rabbits will rebuild to present populations within 3 years. 

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

Reply #44 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 9:40am
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 7:31am:
rabbiter wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 7:23am:

oh  really. In the Mackenzie the two prefeeds have just been done and the coordinated release is on the 20th. Im surprised it wasnt the same in Otago/Southland.

Given the scale of this and the involvement of a number of different councils I not surprised Grin Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards