Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5 (Read 12197 times)
headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
*****
Online


Former Youngest Person
in the World

Posts: 25212
Location: Ponsenby
Joined: Jul 9th, 2007
Gender: Male
Re: RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5
Reply #15 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 7:45am
Print Post  
Think ill go down to Fiordland with the thermal and get me one of those Wapati.  Grin

naw, only stopping in the areas that we are feeding out in. Ill also be monitoring the progress of the virus and after a bit might even pick up a few carcasses every day and redistribute them..

Then there are Wallabies.  Roll Eyes
  

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
Back to top
WWW  
IP Logged
 
gonehuntin
Forum Font
*****
Offline


I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Posts: 1897
Location: Lost
Joined: Nov 22nd, 2012
Gender: Male
Re: RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5
Reply #16 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 10:29am
Print Post  
HC how do they work out how many theyve dealt to? is there before and after monitoring or do they just declare a 40% success rate anyway

im guessing some places up that way at even 40% would still be absolutley riddled with them afterwards.
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
*****
Online


Former Youngest Person
in the World

Posts: 25212
Location: Ponsenby
Joined: Jul 9th, 2007
Gender: Male
Re: RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5
Reply #17 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 10:53am
Print Post  
To get a general idea ECAN or other regional councils do a rabbit count across all stations on their list every year. That has in the past determined whether a station or other area has been put on notice to do some control work. Generally that means dropping 1080, but other methods might be acceptable if they lower numbers enough to be level 3 or below on the Maclean Scale.

https://teara.govt.nz/en/document/15274/mclean-scale-of-rabbit-infestation.

This year ECAN has not issued any notices to control but instead has decided to wait and see untill after the virus is released.  A policy that im sure was greeted with some enthusiasm by many stations. It a double edged sword. No control and save money, No control and have a lot more ecological damage take place.

The annual rabbit count, or a rabbit count, was done a few months back and then again a couple of weeks back to give them a general picture  of how many there are now. The rabbit counts cover say 15 km across a station and is usually done over a number of night, say 6 to determine the average density on that given pathway.. It always the same general route and a visual day check that involve an ecan specialist roaming around the station and doing a check.
Im not sure what the exact trigger to control is between the two inspections, but there are definate rules in place.  Poison notices are not blanket thankfully but only cover limited areas so as not to duly interfere with normal farming operations.

I suppose they will do another count in a few months to see what the averages throw up on paper..

Personally, Ive got a couple of areas Ive been counting myself using the thermal. Ill go back at intervals and see whats happening there.

Its all based on science and wishfull thinking..  Grin
  

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
Back to top
WWW  
IP Logged
 
Maddoghunter
Donor Member
*****
Offline


I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Posts: 1665
Location: Franklin
Joined: Apr 28th, 2013
Re: RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5
Reply #18 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
If they are hoping for 40% kill, my question is: why does it not kill the other 60%?
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
gonehuntin
Forum Font
*****
Offline


I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Posts: 1897
Location: Lost
Joined: Nov 22nd, 2012
Gender: Male
Re: RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5
Reply #19 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Maddoghunter wrote on Mar 4th, 2018 at 12:36pm:
If they are hoping for 40% kill, my question is: why does it not kill the other 60%?



its a virus. same as in humans viruses will not affect some, knock others and kill the rest.
if only they could find rabbit ebola or plague that kills far more.  Cheesy    will always be some resistance no matter whats used.
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
gonehuntin
Forum Font
*****
Offline


I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Posts: 1897
Location: Lost
Joined: Nov 22nd, 2012
Gender: Male
Re: RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5
Reply #20 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
interesting they didnt want control still prior to virus release.
youd think it would still be more effective to kill x% of controlled vs x% of an uncontrolled population. cheaper to wait I guess?
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
*****
Online


Former Youngest Person
in the World

Posts: 25212
Location: Ponsenby
Joined: Jul 9th, 2007
Gender: Male
Re: RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5
Reply #21 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
gonehuntin wrote on Mar 4th, 2018 at 2:27pm:
interesting they didnt want control still prior to virus release.
youd think it would still be more effective to kill x% of controlled vs x% of an uncontrolled population. cheaper to wait I guess?


I dont think that was the main thrust..

Issueing notices and forcing farmers to spent $100,000 or more, over and above their normal budget, when they are intending to release a virus 6 months down the track could be seen as applying undue financial hardship to otherwise cash strapped sheep farmers.. there is a financial consideration, poisen ops are expensive, sheep farmers have only in the last year been earning more.

I find their decision very reasonable.

The combined effort of both Ecan and all the farmers working together to make a controlled simultainious legal release is a milestone for the farming community and should be applauded as a combined postive approach to tackling the problem as a team effort.




  

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
Back to top
WWW  
IP Logged
 
headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
*****
Online


Former Youngest Person
in the World

Posts: 25212
Location: Ponsenby
Joined: Jul 9th, 2007
Gender: Male
Re: RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5
Reply #22 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Maddoghunter wrote on Mar 4th, 2018 at 12:36pm:
If they are hoping for 40% kill, my question is: why does it not kill the other 60%?



Ive wondered the same thing. Why does any virus not kill 100% of the host species..

If it did the virus would die out.

Interesting isnt it.
  

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
Back to top
WWW  
IP Logged
 
Maddoghunter
Donor Member
*****
Offline


I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Posts: 1665
Location: Franklin
Joined: Apr 28th, 2013
Re: RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5
Reply #23 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
gonehuntin wrote on Mar 4th, 2018 at 2:21pm:
Maddoghunter wrote on Mar 4th, 2018 at 12:36pm:
If they are hoping for 40% kill, my question is: why does it not kill the other 60%?



its a virus. same as in humans viruses will not affect some, knock others and kill the rest.
if only they could find rabbit ebola or plague that kills far more.  Cheesy    will always be some resistance no matter whats used.

So the rabbits with natural resistance to it get to continue breeding?
I’m sure it won’t take long for the population to bounce back (pun intended).
Seems to me that the authorities are simply making a rod for their back.
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
*****
Online


Former Youngest Person
in the World

Posts: 25212
Location: Ponsenby
Joined: Jul 9th, 2007
Gender: Male
Re: RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5
Reply #24 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Nothing has stopped rabbits yet. Not mixamatosis or rhd or lead or 1080. They will be here after humans.

The virus will help a little bit but in 10 years  we will be still having a similar discussion unless we implement a biological gene variety that breed all males sterial.
  

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
Back to top
WWW  
IP Logged
 
Maddoghunter
Donor Member
*****
Offline


I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Posts: 1665
Location: Franklin
Joined: Apr 28th, 2013
Re: RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5
Reply #25 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Mar 4th, 2018 at 9:38pm:
Nothing has stopped rabbits yet. Not mixamatosis or rhd or lead or 1080. They will be here after humans.

The virus will help a little bit but in 10 years  we will be still having a similar discussion unless we implement a biological gene variety that breed all males sterial.

Or simply breeds all males.
Gotta be real careful with that sort of thing though.
If it mutated and got into livestock.......
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Deer hunter Duck Shooter
Full Member
***
Offline


I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Posts: 362
Location: Taranaki
Joined: Oct 26th, 2014
Gender: Male
Re: RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5
Reply #26 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 7:56am
Print Post  
Or you could breed all females!
It wouldn't be that simple though, that many females with no males to balance them out. Imagine the emotional state of the rabbit world.
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Ackley
Full Member
***
Offline


I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Posts: 360
Location: Jindera  Australia
Joined: Sep 13th, 2010
Gender: Male
Re: RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5
Reply #27 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Was out mustering this morning and saw a rabbit with advanced mixo so some of the rabbits that escaped the calici might not escape this out break.
I will get stuck into the thermal work now most of the grass is gone and hopefully make a big dent in the population before winter gets here
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
*****
Online


Former Youngest Person
in the World

Posts: 25212
Location: Ponsenby
Joined: Jul 9th, 2007
Gender: Male
Re: RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5
Reply #28 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Ackley wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 2:33pm:
Was out mustering this morning and saw a rabbit with advanced mixo so some of the rabbits that escaped the calici might not escape this out break.
I will get stuck into the thermal work now most of the grass is gone and hopefully make a big dent in the population before winter gets here


How high does the grass get ? I find any sparse cover helps them hold better.

How much of the rabbit population is immune to Myxomatosis?
  

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
Back to top
WWW  
IP Logged
 
Maddoghunter
Donor Member
*****
Offline


I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Posts: 1665
Location: Franklin
Joined: Apr 28th, 2013
Re: RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5
Reply #29 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Deer hunter Duck Shooter wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 7:56am:
Or you could breed all females!
It wouldn't be that simple though, that many females with no males to balance them out. Imagine the emotional state of the rabbit world.

It’d be like the Labour Party.
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Send TopicPrint
 

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards