Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5 (Read 11087 times)
headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5
Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Are there any Aussies reading this that can give me some information as to the success of the release of the K5 virus last year. From what I read it was released around June/July with quite a bit of fanfare, but since then there has only been one report I can find that indicates there have been  infected rabbits found and tested positive..

Whats the story here. Why the otherwise complete Local Body Council and  media silence on the topic.

Perhaps that it has not lived up to expectations or is it too soon to judge?

On a futher search this was found which is not very encouraging..

"""However, the anticipation is not being translated into big numbers of rabbit deaths, in the early stages of the program at least."""

http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2017-04-03/waiting-results-calicivirus-k5-relea...

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Re: RABBIT BIOCONTROL IN AUSTRALIA RHDV1 K5
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 9:39am
Print Post  

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 11:56am
Print Post  
From what I can gather we can expect a mortality of around 40% if/ when it is released here.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Sneaka wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 11:56am:
From what I can gather we can expect a mortality of around 40% if/ when it is released here.

Yes they seem pretty happy with 42%. 

The expectation is that it will kill a lot of rabbits that are immune to the first Virus released illegally. (Czech V351 strain in the Mackenzie 1997, 97% mortality originally )

The Immunity is, as I understand it, provided by a third  strain of the virus which has always been present and does not actually kill the rabbit but must give the rabbits immune system a leg up on surviving the originally released Czech V351 strain.

I might have got this all wrong but that's the way im reading it at the moment.

Interesting read below.
https://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/publications/newsletters/kararehe-kino/karare...

Most importantly, its interesting to note that the myxoma virus, which causes myxomatosis, was introduced into the rabbit population in Australia in  the 1950s, and initially killed well over estimated 500 million of the rabbit population, but they came back immune, and then again the introduction of the Calci virus in 1991 (causes RHD) again killed huge numbers in the warmer parts of Aussie.

But again they came back in plauge proportions, and now there is another variation of the virus been released.

As in New Zealead where the original virus worked brilliantly for a while but here we are again..

Which pretty much guarantees that whatever measures are undertaken no one is going to have to miss out on the pleasure of taking the kids for a rabbit hunt for a few generations to come.  Smiley

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 8:14am
Print Post  
even at a 40% kill it wont take long for numbers to bounce back to currencurrent levels.
How long does the virus persist in the environment? I understand it does rounds but Im guessing each time its effect gets less untill immunity?

Hunting a station my mate works on a few weeks ago and the rabbits were thickest id ever seen since I was a kid in central otago, twice I sat down on the hill and sat on rabbits, never had that before and every 4 or 5 steps another couple would hop away.  A brick of ammo would only last a few hundred meter walk there  Shocked

IP Logged

Ackley

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
We had a reasonable kill here when the virus arrived and in some areas I did a lot of thermal shooting of the remaining rabbits before the spring grass got to long. in those areas there population is almost zero but where I didn't follow up with thermal shooting they are making a good come back Angry

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Thats rabbits for you. Killing 40% and a bit more is like pissing in the wind.  Grin

The follow up work is ongoing and never ending, till the next virus..  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
I think the % rate of kill by the K5 is without doubt being talked up by the council's .When the subject of importing K5 was first aired  ,warnings were given by these same councils that the best result  that could be expected was 30% then later on last year it suddenly jumped to 42% to match results reported in australia.They really don't know what effect it will have in NZ, however since we had a huge % of the rabbit population killed when RHD first arrive here and now once again have a huge problem Id say it will only be a short term  knock down at best.
I've have a friend that does alot of rabbit control around south Australia only last week, told me that the K5 has had a very limited effect on rabbit populations in his patch,also I read a report that in the table lands the rabbits have exploded & are now well out of control.   
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2018 at 11:26am by rabbiter »  

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 8:28am
Print Post  
Well youve all seen it in the news.   Its coming on the 20th.

Plans have already been drawn up, delivery of the laced carrot is being organised, coordination among cockies that it get put out at the same time is underway.. its all go.

Although Im perosnally sceptical of the longer term benefits unless we have a change of mindset around alternative controll work, it cant happen at a better moment just before the winter.

Im seeing more rabbits than ever before. The task of controlling them with the resources I have is becoming very  diffucult. The numbers have reached such proportions that no matter how many you think you've dealt to in an area, within a short time they have breed back again.

IP Logged

Franchi

Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
I rang the Otago Regional Council today and was told, weather permitting,it's being released in the week 12-17 March in Otago, despite media releases saying late March/early April.

I've no idea if the Easter Bunny shoot is happening but I'd imagine it would be a waste of time this year.

If the expected target is only 40% success then I'm very skeptical long term as well.

White man walk much see little, Indian walk little see much

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Pre bait stations going in down here on sun

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #11 - Mar 3rd, 2018 at 8:53am
Print Post  
padox wrote on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 9:50pm:
Pre bait stations going in down here on sun

Has anyone told you to stop shooting Padox?   As the virus is well transmitted by flys the few carcasses lying around cant hurt.

The Aussies have been recommending that cockies step up other eradication methods after its established.

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Mar 3rd, 2018 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Nope haven't been told that

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #13 - Mar 3rd, 2018 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Here they have been told to not shoot the areas  after the prefeed until a week or so after carcasses have been found. Thats ok with me..  Smiley

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Mar 3rd, 2018 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Haha a couple of weeks off hc what u going to do with yourself

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards