Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Dog with sore ears (Read 3129 times)
Slayer
Donor Member

Dog with sore ears
Jan 12th, 2018 at 10:04am
Print Post  
I have a lab x springer spaniel (labraspringer). She's 5 years old and recently had her 3rd ear infection in 18 months. It's always one ear and she gets quite ill. Every time she has to see a vet who give her anti inflammatories and ear stuff. I had her sedated to get a sample of the bacteria in her ear and it seems to be a yeast infection.
Does anybody know a simpler way to combat or prevent these ear infections?

Political correctness is a doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

IP Logged

tim37
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Dog with sore ears
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
used to have a large munsterlander that had the same problems. one of the vets put me onto swimmers ear drops to dry the ear out internally. used this after he had done a lot of swimming. I also used to examine and check his ears regularly for smells, yeast infections have a distinctive odour. at the first sign of any problems I used an ear cleaner from the vets and this seemed to keep on top of everything   

IP Logged

Padawan
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Vet gave me a bottle of “Epi-Optic” which is a ear and skin cleanser
It’s from Virbac Animal Health

PM me with email if you want a photo of the bottle and instructions

IP Logged

tararua60
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Had a huntaway once that always had crook ears , first time of them giving him grief I would fill his ears up with 'OPTI CLENSE ( I think that was the name ) and massage it right into his ears to loosen up any shit in there , he would shake it out and be all good for a couple of months

IP Logged

JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Lab had a yeast infection once as well and now that we got rid of it we flush his ears out once a week with Epi-Otic which seems to work. Crazy how much dirt and stuff comes out of a dogs ear - not that it helped him listening any better ...  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Not to take the piss or anything.

A friend took her schnauzzer to the vet with the same sort of problem, a wax build up in the dogs ears. As you probably know a schnauzzer has real hairy fluffy ears. The vet said that the wax build up was due to said hairy ears creating blockages. He said it was way cheaper to just go to the chemist and buy Veet hair removing cream.
So my friend goes to the chemist and says to the chemist that she wants some Veet hair removing cream. The chemist says be very careful applying sunscreen to your arms after using it, my friend says its not for her arms, the chemist says ok well the same applies to your legs. My friends says its not for my legs either its for my schnauzzer. The chemist says oh in that case keep off your bike for a week !

IP Logged

trip
Donor Member

7mm08 Tika T3

Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Roll Eyes Grin Grin Grin

I SWEAR IT WAS THIS BIG.......YEAH RIGHT!!!

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
There is nothing worse than a hairy schnauzer  Shocked

Back on topic, You can also use some salty water ( warm is best) and get the dog to lie down on its side and fill ear and gently massage it for a bit. Then watch out for the shake when they get up Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards