Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Boot & Sock Setup to Avoid Blisters (Read 3671 times)
Appers

Boot & Sock Setup to Avoid Blisters
Jan 11th, 2018 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Hey all,

I have had a pair of Meindl islands boots for the last 7 years. I have never been happy with them, but pushed through it as i spent the money on them. Mainly due to me constantly getting blisters.

Looking at getting some Lowa Tibet GTX instead. I am after peoples advice on their sock setup. Currently I use a thin good quality ice breaker sock with a second woolen sock ontop. So a two sock setup.

When looking at purchasing new boots, should i just fit the boot with a single pair of good socks e.g thorlos or still rock a double sock setup?

Do most people use the one sock setup, or do people use two?

Cheers for the advice in advance.

Appers.

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Boot & Sock Setup to Avoid Blisters
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 11:30am
Print Post  
I have the Lowa Tibets, I wear a single pair of Bridgedale socks. Never had blisters. Did the same with a pair of Meindl Island Pro, never had blisters.
Make sure the boots fit properly and with modern boots blisters should never happen.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Sounds odd but recently did power of walking using horse bandages for puttees instead of the neoprene ones. Feet felt so much more comfortable in the bullers.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Horse bandages were all we ever used in the 70's. Worked great, especially in rivers. Came in handy on the odd occasion as a sling if someone did their arm in, or needed a splint held tight. Can't do that with these flash patties these days Cheesy

IP Logged

ReelLuckyBouy

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
I'm the same as Stug, Lowa GTX and Bridgedale socks, never had a blister and that includes a few kms with wet socks.

IP Logged

High country boy
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
I have the lowas too, never needed any special socks just use some from farmlands etc, never had an issue even if they’re wet. I do recall being told by ski instructors never to wear two pairs or you’ll get blisters. Same may apply for walking boots?

IP Logged

outdoorlad
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
I'm the same as you Appers, wear a thin pair of merino socks under a pair of bridgedales.

IP Logged

Horse
Forum Senior

Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 8:22am
Print Post  
I use a Bridgedale liner sock under a Bridgedale outer sock, boots are Island pros- very comfy no blisters ever.

IP Logged

Kane h

Reply #8 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
I swear by two pairs socks if doing big kms with weight especially

IP Logged

trusty222
Donor Member

"HOT BARRELS AND SAGGING
TAIL LINES"

Reply #9 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Sock and boot selection is a very personal thing, find what works for you and stick with them, used bullers, norsewears and canvas or horse bandages for 15 yrs, then over the past 10-12 yrs have been using good quality leather boots (meindles or Andrews) and bridgedale hiker socks (winter) and lite bridgedales socks in summer. Kms were any where between 120 and 250 per 10 day trip, 20 to 22 trips per year for 20+ yrs, notched up a few Kaweka challenges and southern traverses in the bullers in a previous life

When you get a new pair of leathers soak them in water and wear then wet for the 1st month and they will mould to your feet properly, carry a foot kit if you don’t do a lot of walking or have soft feet, clean and dry your feet each night , talc powder and clean socks , also carry some strapping tape and blister blockers and deal with hot spots on your feet immediately before they turn to blisters

Hot barrels

DOG TRAINING "GET IT RIGHT THE 1ST TIME & TRAIN FOR SUCCESS"
WWW.BCL.KIWI
IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
sako wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 3:09pm:
Sounds odd but recently did power of walking using horse bandages for puttees instead of the neoprene ones. Feet felt so much more comfortable in the bullers.

Been using home made Puttees using light canvas/calico type material for the last 55 years. Very comfee, supportive.

Cure for blisters is easy. your feet are too soft,  do more hard tramps, you feet have to get used to it. Smiley

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #11 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Tararua Hunter wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:18pm:
sako wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 3:09pm:

Been using home made Puttees using light canvas/calico type material for the last 55 years. Very comfee, supportive.

Cure for blisters is easy. your feet are too soft,  do more hard tramps, you feet have to get used to it. Smiley

Grin Grin Grin You're a hard man TH, But I think your advice is worth taking into consideration.

I have Lowa tibets and just use workboot socks from Farmers or the Warehouse. I do put a bit of strapping tape on if I feel a spot starting to rub. Usually rubbing is from having boots tied too loose, I find tightening boot a bit stops rubbing.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

trusty222
Donor Member

"HOT BARRELS AND SAGGING
TAIL LINES"

Reply #12 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Tararua Hunter wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:18pm:
Cure for blisters is easy. your feet are too soft,  do more hard tramps, you feet have to get used to it

yep, the only way to get hard feet is do the miles on them

hot barrels

DOG TRAINING "GET IT RIGHT THE 1ST TIME & TRAIN FOR SUCCESS"
WWW.BCL.KIWI
IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #13 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
I am on about pair ten of Meindl Islands.They fit me with almost no breaking in so I have stuck with them. If it aint broke dont fix it. First thing I do is throw away the factory inner soles and put in a softer one of the same thickness with a decent arch support. So much comfier and reduces foot soreness after a long day on the hill. Always wore farmlands type socks (one pair) but couple years back went to Bridgedales. They and thorlos are gold and make a real difference. Wear decnet puttees to keep sand and grit out. The more you walk the easier it gets.

IP Logged

rupert

Reply #14 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
Years ago I always wore two pairs of socks inside Frames Footwear boots, a skinny pair on the skin and a thick pair over those and I did not get blisters. I use much more comfortable Lowa boots now and just one pair of socks and never get blisters. An old solution to soft feet in ugly boots was to soak the feet in meths which did a very quick job of hardening up the skin and the result was no blisters.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards