Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Sako P54 .22, can anyone tell me about them? (Read 785 times)
270guy

Can't argue with the facts.

Sako P54 .22, can anyone tell me about them?
Jan 6th, 2018 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Hi All, can anyone shed some light on this rifle? Is it any good? Is it bad? Accurate or not so much? What are they worth (average condition, not mint)? If you have one, would you part with it? (Not to me, is it a keeper / pass-on to the next generation type rifle?). Any info really. cheers

"All too often, good luck, is the result of hard work"

IP Logged

huntsika

Re: Sako P54 .22, can anyone tell me about them?
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 7:37am
Print Post  
I own a mint P54 and I've also got an as new unfired P72 in 22 Mag.

In terms of the P54:
- very accurate (sub 10mm groups at 50 metres)
- two stage adjustable trigger
- action is small and good (although not as smooth as the the P72 - not to say it is bad; it is still great)
- lightweight (adult sized but smaller adults/supervised kids should be ok with them too).

Expect to pay $1000-1200 for a good one.  Maybe a little more.

I had another rougher one (that I bought to get one of the factory magazines from - it came with two) that I sold again for about $800.

Magazines from some older Remingtons and Slazengers can be adapted to fit too.

I'd buy one.

If you want the best of the best either get a higher grade Kimber (of Oregon - the 'original' Kimber not that of more recent New York manufacture) (and which I also have) or any of the newer Sako rimfires pre the new Sako Quad (which to be fair is still good but has succumbed to some modern manufacturing with plastic etc) ... but that is not to say the P54 is also extremely good.   Expect to pay more - I paid $2k for my P72 and would do it again in a heartbeat.

A higher grade Ancshultz 1422 or similar would also be great (although I don't have personal experience in these).

Good luck with the search!

IP Logged

270guy

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 8:18am
Print Post  
Huntsika, Thanks for the reply and advice. Just the sort of stuff I need to help me justify the purchase Wink.
I like older .22s, at the moment have an old single shot Annie, a Krico b/a (that is awesome). Both from late '60s. They both get used for bunnies, possums and paper.
From limited internetery, I'm reasonably confident that either an  Anschultz, Savage, and the other mags you mentioned will work, without too much tinkering.
Thanks again for the reply.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Have a rough example of a P54 which is extremely accurate despite a small bulge in the barrel. Not the smoothest of actions. Is quite stiff when drawing the bolt back after firing which is down to the design of the trigger assembly pivoting to allow the bolt past the sear. It is all olde worlde craftmanship with the stock not too different to my late 60s Forester ie capped pistol grip, white line spacers etc. I would happily spend decent dollars to get a good example or better still a P72. Much more allure to me than BRNO Model 1s.

IP Logged

270guy

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
cheers

IP Logged

270guy

Re: Sako P54 .22, can anyone tell me about them? Update 2/2/18
Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Ok, so I took the plunge and bought a P54! It has lost the open sights and had the barrel shortened at some stage of its life. Its threaded and has a Parker Hale suppressor fitted. I don't think it has an original Sako mag (5 shot). I does has a sweet stock, that appears to have been bedded at the rear of the action, and the plastic Sako butt plate. And has an older european x4 scope on it, which is not too bad, and more than acceptable.

I picked it up the  other day, and started this new adventure by spending a couple of hours trying to take the PH suppressor apart to clean and inspect it. And No, I don't have a factory take down rod, to help get the baffles out of the tube. You can guess it was full of crud, but did get it apart, and cleaned. And then for fun made a jig, and re drilled all the centre holes in the baffles. Just to be sure, that after my efforts to get it apart, there would be no bullet strikes!

So after work tonight, left the family at home, and headed out to see if the wee thing worked, and if it would shoot anything like tight groups. I took some Win 40g subs, CCI 40g Standard Velocity, and Lapua Super Club to try. I was a little concerned that the suppressor baffles might still get hit, and that I'd have to test accuracy, by shooting offhand. I can't get a harris bipod on the front sling swivel stud (its too big). So it does work, its does appear to group... Win subs 18 mm, CCI  18 mm, Lapua 25mm (dodgy shooting by me, first 3 shots 15 mm, last 2 spread things out). All at 25m offhand, 5 shot groups. The trigger is light, and only single stage. Maybe adjusted that way?

So smiling, I loaded the mag with Win subs, and headed off to try it on some live targets. Told the brother in law, I might be back soon, or in a while if it was going ok. The suppressor is surprisingly quiet, and with the first 5 rabbits going down to head and neck shots, things were going better than expected. So ended up carrying 14 rabbits back to the car, as the light was fading.  Pretty fun evening. Even though I'm still adjusting to the trigger.

So I'm contemplating fitting an older VXIII  6.5 x 20 on it, to see if I can really get it to shoot some tight groups. And then maybe try to have some shooting out to 100m , and maybe more?

I'm stoked, it is as good as I hoped, with some potential to be just a little bit more.
Cheers

IP Logged

Finnscout
Donor Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2018 at 8:14pm
Print Post  

Nice pick up with the P54 270guy, have you done much more with it since purchasing? Nice accurate little rifles.
I have a couple of them, though they are thin on the ground over here in Oz. How common are they in NZ ?
Quite a few variations were available.

Cheers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards