Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic DoC staff Tongariro forest (Read 11238 times)
Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: DoC staff Tongariro forest
Reply #15 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Ive never gone past someone in the bush without talking to them...but then I'm old!
And if they are getting shit from everyone they meet then its about time they re thought what they are doing. It is our land and they are supposed to managing it on our behalf so if a doc worker sees a member of the public in the bush he should stop and talk to them...find out whats going on and how everyone is enjoying the park ..its his job or has that changed now.
from where I sit all I see is mob of academics on computers in offices who occasionally go into the bush but they dont walk as they need to be home by 4pm....
Honestly my opinion is that DoC need a bloody great shakeup from the top down.. and get some experience back into the outfit...

Co-leader NZ Outdoors Party http://www.outdoorsparty.co.nz
Book. Born to The Outdoors http://www.alan-simmons.com/book
IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Seems to be a bit like that, from what I read around the traps.There are a number of good dedicated people working in the field for DOC, but it seems a lot of the office bound academics  are out of touch. Bring back the NZFS, where all the office and policy staff were promoted from guys who had spent actual time in the bush.  Smiley

IP Logged

hauraki hunter
Donor Member

Reply #17 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
I always talk to anyone i see while in the bush and doc camp grounds some are hard to talk to some i have trouble getting away from meet some interesting people some of the old guys have some great storys to tell and they enjoy a good old jaw.Have found about half of DOC workers not to bothered to talk but the office staff are more than helpful on the phone and in person. Smiley

IP Logged

.threeoeight
Forum Senior

Reply #18 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 4:45am
Print Post  
I'll go into bat for DOC staff. At least way down south here in Stewy and Fiordland most of the ground workers are real good types and only to happy to pass on info or a happy gidday.
Don't know so much about the rest further north but I can understand that a few might not be up to scratch.

Its the nut behind the butt, that counts.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #19 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 5:45am
Print Post  
I read in FMC's last quarterly journal, under the Presidents column, about the chasm between DoC's field culture  vs their Office culture, and their (Office wallahs) inability to break down perceived risk vs actual risk, and relate it to the exceedingly practical workplace of "The Bush".  e.g: The Kaimai Ridgeway Trust is doing some impressive work creating a 5-7 day track along the Kaimai Ranges. But the Trust (all volunteers which handily places them outside the H&SAW act 2016) are finding they are being stymied in using machinery (esp chainsaws) on the Public Conservation Estate by Risk'a'phobia centric Office types.  Now there's a multiplicity of recognised ways to assess 'competence', without having to resort to a glossy little piece of paper  saying X has attended Y course and is competent at operating Z machinery, but that's apparently pushing the bounds of office reality. Sad

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 5:46am
Print Post  
XRhunter wrote on Feb 8th, 2018 at 5:45am:
I read in FMC's last quarterly journal, under the Presidents column, about the chasm between DoC's field culture  vs their Office culture, and their (Office wallahs) inability to break down perceived risk vs actual risk, and relate it to the exceedingly practical workplace of "The Bush".  e.g: The Kaimai Ridgeway Trust is doing some impressive work creating a 5-7 day track along the Kaimai Ranges. But the Trust (all volunteers which handily places them outside the H&SAW act 2016) are finding they are being stymied in using machinery (esp chainsaws) on the Public Conservation Estate by Risk'a'phobia centric Office types.  Now there's a multiplicity of recognised ways to assess 'competence', without having to resort to a glossy little piece of paper  saying X has attended Y course and is competent at operating Z machinery, but that's apparently pushing the bounds of office reality. Sad

XRHunter, the issue of volunteers doing work on conservation land is tricky.
for the purposes of the HAZNo act, anyone doing volunteer work on behalf of DOC, must be regarded as "employees". (or that is the view of DOC health&Safety bods.)

so DOC volunteers are not exempt from the act

I know lot of volunteers doing work on PCL think its for the community, not DOC. But the reality is, DOC has the legal obligation to manage the land, and any volunteer work must be "approved" by DOC. Anything other than approved work, is probably illegal.

I've faced the same frustrations, in track work, working on hut roofs, chainsaw use - which has all got me offside DOC a bit Roll Eyes

it took some effort to convince DOC that some of the rules were silly. But others (qualifications for chainsaws) we had to accept. It all comes down to whats Industry best practice, and also the legal requirements

An official volunteer getting killed or injured becomes a DOC issue that they will be held accountable for by Worksafe.

The investigation into the death up Mt Somers recently might be an interesting

While I agree the "shiny bums" in DOC generally have no comprehension of what field workers experience/need etc, some of the rule cant be avoided, by them or the field staff, or volunteers.

Because of a risk averse culture adopted in new new Zealand now, its putting off volunteers and many others from doing anything remotely "risky"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards