Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic DoC staff Tongariro forest (Read 5281 times)
XRhunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

DoC staff Tongariro forest
Jan 5th, 2018 at 7:44am
Print Post  
Spent the last couple of days exploring Tongariro Forest (old State Forest 42). Plenty of recent sign, esp on tracks despite the reasonably high number of people in there on all forms of transport.
Had a DoC staff member zip past in his Postman Pat UTV on the way in, and several hours later had him come past again. However this time it was with one of our quads partly dismantled for repairs on the side of the track. Now despite us having a small workshop's worth of tools with us, and the room on the track somewhat limited with the quads piled up, he sped past, studiously avoiding eye contact, with nary a slow down in speed. Now I would have thought that as a Public Servant, and given the remote nature of a lot of the area, he would of at least stopped and exchanged pleasantries, to ascertain we were fine, before heading off again. Perhaps I was expecting too much from them???

IP Logged

Raptor
Donor Member

Falcons are Neat

Re: DoC staff Tongariro forest
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 10:14am
Print Post  
With that sort of attitude who can blame him for not stopping? Cool
As a previous Government employee one can tell you the expression 'Public Servant' went out 20-30 years ago - except for a few who hang on to the old attitudes.
Let's examine the scene - broken down bike, number of guys (and girls?) and other bikes, a "small workshop of tools" looks like they know what they're doing. Lay that against the current spate of abuse against DOC employees - one believes he made the right decision!
If he had stopped for "pleasantries" you probably would have berated him for that on here, he was at work and most likely had a long way to go to get home.
Sometimes there's no pleasing you people!
By the way we used to call the likes of you "The great unwashed public". Grin

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Was a public servant myself for 26 years. The term is still in legislation, hence I continue to use it. I use it to remind people where their salary/wage packet comes from. Your and my taxes. And what the mandate from the Gov't is for their jobs' existence.
But asides from that: The tools weren't in evidence. Stored inside the paniers. Just a bike in bits. Had to squeeze past us, at a bit of a clip I might add. No rifles or camo evident. Just  some guys and a girl scratching their heads.  I would still expect  a conversation, even a few seconds long, or the archetypal Kiwi  tipping of the head upwards as if to say 'Gidday",but no, a studious avoidance of eye contact.... in the middle of nowhere. Go figure. Huh

IP Logged

hawken 50

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Perhaps he was closely related to Lou Sanson.

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Were you lost? NO
Were you hurt? NO
Did it look like you need assistance as you were alone
or struggling? NO

So its just about your hurt feelings I guess  Grin I am happy for DOC staff to go on with their business as should they stop by for casual chat here and there they wont be doing anything else...Don't wont to be rude but that's just the way I see it...  Cool

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
He could/should have looked you in the eye and asked if everything was ok. Common courtisy.

If it had been a group of Doc workers on the side of the track id stop and engage them in a conversation. Have done many times.

We are losing the art of the coutious nod these days, you know, careing and curiosity,and just interested to meet and greet those in your workspace.

I know, we would never get the job done or home if we engaged in conversation with everyone we came across in a day but I make the effort in that situation. Even if the effort is just for a few seconds.

Its easy enough if you make a habit of it.. and good for the brain, striking up converstions with strangers.

The world needs more of it.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Here's another perspective.

DOC staff in Tong forest get constant shit from hunters including personal abuse and threats. Lots of it is about 1080. The staff are constantly cleaning up after hunters  by the truck load - rubbish and rotting carcasses. Add to that hunters chopping down trees and clear felling for private bivies and huts.

I agree that common courtesy like a nod or meeting of the eyes could at least be expected, but I can understand why some DOC staff avoid hunters. If they engage with them often as not they will get abuse.

I agree though that the reported behaviour that started this thread is inexcusable and what I've said is not an excuse for what the DOC person did. But sometimes we do need to look at things from their perspective.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
I actually think BC that your description adds the other side of the story to it and is somewhat an excuse for DOC guy or at least explains a bit...

Yes I find that comon curtesy here in NZ very refreshing as in Europe people would pretty much leave you to die on the side of the highway in most cases...  Undecided

But cant see point of "publicly executing" the guy here on forum for something like this...  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 7:40am
Print Post  
I'll say that in previous years I have bumped into DoC staff in there, and had a right old chin wag with them Smiley . Hence my disappointment when this guy actively avoided contact. Remember that we weren't dressed as hunters: no rifles, camo, just flashy riding gear and smart looking quads and two wheelers (certainly  could not be mistaken for dirty smelly hunters on quads Grin Grin Grin)

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #9 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Ah, so you were looking like knobs then.  Grin Grin

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 8:36am
Print Post  
Yeah, but flash looking knobs Cheesy Cool Cool Cool

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Two options bout DOC fella. it is unusual for trampers/hunters not to say at least ‘hi’ when meeting in the bush - even though , on day trips on tracks, I have passed others that don’t acknowledge me.
But you went either, you were a quad rider, which might make it even less likely to stop for a chat
However, the Ranger could just been bit ignorant/unsociable with the public, or
-he has had bad experiences with either hunters, quad/bike riders, others (plenty DOC. workers think hunters are just dickheads- because of negative experiences,  same as hunters do about DOC. (reading this forum or certain Facebook pages would do that)
-or he was blind

Either way, why is it an issue?
-

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #12 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
XRhunter wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 8:36am:
Yeah, but flash looking knobs Cheesy Cool Cool Cool

Grin Grin He might have felt a bit underdressed.  Cheesy

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #13 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Tararua Hunter wrote on Jan 20th, 2018 at 12:17pm:
Two options bout DOC fella. it is unusual for trampers/hunters not to say at least ‘hi’ when meeting in the bush - even though , on day trips on tracks, I have passed others that don’t acknowledge me.
But you went either, you were a quad rider, which might make it even less likely to stop for a chat
However, the Ranger could just been bit ignorant/unsociable with the public, or
-he has had bad experiences with either hunters, quad/bike riders, others (plenty DOC. workers think hunters are just dickheads- because of negative experiences,  same as hunters do about DOC. (reading this forum or certain Facebook pages would do that)
-or he was blind

Either way, why is it an issue?
-

Its a bit of a sign of the times post possibly. Or maybe the bloke just had a hangover.

For me its about just slowing down for a moment so as to a. avoid a preventable collision, and b. slowin down a bit to give the stopped party a moment to hail you if there was a problem that required some third party help. Just basic courtisy and backcounty helpfullnes realy. 

Once upon a time if I saw someone changing a tire on the side of the road Id stop and ask if they needed a hand.

Those times are long gone. We are all far to busy to do that, myself included...  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
I guess when I think about it I cannot remember a time in the bush (late 1960's till now) when I got no recognition from another person (active avoidance of eye contact even)  when passing within a few feet of each other. No matter if they were a tramper/trapper/hunter/cyclist or worker. In fact we passed three different 'classes' of people in there apart from the DoC worker: overseas mtb/local trapper/dirt bikers, and all stopped for a chat, some albeit only a handful of words.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards