Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Salmon (& Kawahai) rod/reel (Read 464 times)
Highland

Happy in the hills....

Salmon (& Kawahai) rod/reel
Jan 3rd, 2018 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Hi,  I enjoy chasing Kawahai casting lures with an old surf caster at Canterbury river mouths etc. My reel has self destructed and thinking it's time to upgrade. I would like to get something that I could use on salmon at river mouths, just up river. Looking round shops and depending on who you talk to it seems something 7-9 foot is the go? Still want something good for kawahai but keen to try for a salmon. Was looking at various sets in that length range with braid all set to go but want to make sure a 9 footer is not to big or a 7 to small or does it not really matter? Any ideas? Cheers

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: Salmon (& Kawahai) rod/reel
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
I reckon its a bit like shotgunning......what fits YOU best is best for you.
I spent 5 hours chucking lures into surf the other day with a 8' rod for 1 very tasty kawahai and was more than happy with how it preformed
week earlier used a 7' rod with same reel with similar results....
have used 12' rods before in similar places and now more than happy to use lighter 7' rod which I will also use for trout in lakes or canals as its not too much overkill so guess it will be fine for salmon.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards