Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Kite Winch Power (Read 669 times)
noelfj
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Kite Winch Power
Jan 3rd, 2018 at 7:53am
Print Post  
My kite winch has been converted to a petrol power, portable on wheels unit that did not work. This was because my two-stroke motor will not start every time with ease and because its needs a governor to cope with the varying line loads.
So I reconverted it back to electric and its still on a trolley because I want to fish the top of the tide without taking the car onto the beach at high tide.
At this stage I can fish from half out to half in from the vehicle.
We also have to have a beach permit, which is a load of bull shit, I have one, its free on-line and just another council interference act.
But what I actually want to find out is about these new batter packs, 20,000 mah  to start your car and charge your electronic gadgets.

Will this sort of device deliver between 3 and 6 amps from its main output for a couple of sessions of 15 to 20 minutes

IP Logged

DaveH

Re: Kite Winch Power
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 8:44am
Print Post  
Noel, 20000mAh is 20 amp hours. That means it should deliver 2 amps for 10 hours (batteries are normally rated at 10 hour discharge rate). 6 amps for 20 minutes is only 2 amp hours, 10% of its capacity. They are great devices, I have one and it starts a car quite well. I even jump started a diesel ute one day. Mine is only 13 Ah.
Dave

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Thanks DaveH, I thought that was the case but had doubts about the actual performance, this was because when using the same electric motor on my used to own truckee thing the vehicle needed to run to make the winch work and not run the battery down.
I have run the this winch from the battery on my current Honda cr-v with a amp meter inline to establish the 6 amp conclusion, actual results 2 amps to operate 3 amps 3 kg line tension, 5 amps 5 kg line and 6 amps 6kg line tension, beyond that I hand crank.
I do not want a lead acid battery.

IP Logged

DaveH

Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Noel
I should have mentioned I use the same little battery to winch my race car (400kg) onto my trailer but have never measured the current.
Dave

IP Logged

Got-ya

Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Noel

From experience you should get a comfortable two pulls out of a 20Ahr battery. However kites take a lot more power to pull in than a kontiki as that wind keeps blowing. Keep in mind that your alternator is putting out a higher voltage than a battery ever will and as such quite a bit more power. It's how I tend to use mine.

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 7:09am
Print Post  
A bit of an up date, my beloved 30 or near about, Homelite motor, which was apparently perfect, but would not go, no resides in the waste bin at the local dump.
I also scrounged a 2 stroke lawnmower, with a American made outboard motor type engine, stripped it refitted the coil assemble, cleaned the rest and it started every time, usually one pull. It was too heavy for purpose, so off to the dump it went.
Currently awaiting for a reply from "made in China" for an 18 volt 24 amp hour li-ion battery with charger.
Taking a vehicle on the beach is no longer an option.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards