Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ruahine Lou Sanson OIA 1080 Question (Read 606 times)
Marty Foote

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Ruahine Lou Sanson OIA 1080 Question
Jan 2nd, 2018 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Lou Sanson
Director General
Department of Conservation.

Dear Lou,

This is a request for information made under the Official Information Act (OIA).

My request is being made after reading the following:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/100070959/monitoring-shows-1080-drop-in-ruah...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/96109896/aerial-1080-drop-planned-for-ruahin...

http://www.vdig.net/hansard/archive.jsp?y=1994&m=06&d=08&o=11&p=11

1) Can you please provide me with all the possum monitoring results that have been collected in the Ruahine Ranges since 1992. This should include the individual monitoring line results, the dates when the monitoring took place and maps showing where the monitoring lines were placed.

2) Can you please provide me with all the rat monitoring results that have been collected in the Ruahine Ranges since 1992. This should include the individual monitoring line results, the dates when the monitoring took place and maps showing where the monitoring lines were placed.

3) Can you please provide me with all the seed-fall monitoring results that have been collected in the Ruahine Ranges since 1992. This should include the individual monitoring line results, the dates when the monitoring took place and maps showing where the monitoring lines were placed.

4) Can you please provide me with copies of the reports that were presented to Dennis Marshall (Minister of Conservation) in 1994 that showed "the effectiveness of the control programmes that are using 1080 around New Zealand."

Background

Aerial 1080 operations were started in the Ruahine Ranges in 1994. The, then, Minister of Conservation assured the NZ Parliament that monitoring reports had been presented that showed that 90% control had been achieved, as is evidenced by the following Parliamentary question and answer:

"Alec Neill: Given the damage being carried out by possums throughout New Zealand, what reports has he received on the results of the use of 1080 in large-scale possum control?

Hon. DENIS MARSHALL: I have received a number of reports concerning the effectiveness of the control programmes that are using 1080 around New Zealand. Significant success was achieved on Rangitoto Island, in the Waipoua forest, and in the Ruahine forest, where 90 percent control has been achieved."

DOC only releases public statements that show aerial 1080 is achieving good wild animal control results. DOC never makes public statements about areas where aerial 1080 has failed to control wild animals to the stated population targets, with DOC often claiming that failed aerial 1080 operations have been successful in lowering rats and possums to the targeted population levels.

DOC does not provide an information service that allows the NZ Pubic ready access to the raw monitoring data that DOC collects. The only way the NZ Public is able to obtain the monitoring data is to make OIA requests for the information to be released. The OIA process is the only way that the NZ Pubic is able to obtain information that can support, or refute, DOC's public claims as to the effectiveness of aerial 1080 to kill possums and rats.

DOC has released some historical possum and rat monitoring data that clearly shows that some of DOC's public statements, about the effectiveness of aerial 1080 to kill rats and possums, are false.

I look forward to your prompt attention to this request for information.

Kind regards.....Martin Foote.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Ruahine Lou Sanson OIA 1080 Question
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
I went inland Raetihi/Owhango a couple of days ago. Unbelievable the areas they have 1080'd.It seems as if DOC now have a policy that the only way to deal with possums is to drench NZ in 1080.The most remarkable feature of bird life around Retaruke Whakahoro was the number of blackbirds and thrushes.I see that lorikeets are now making their presence in mobs as well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards