Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Draw Weight vs. Arrow Speed question... (Read 1070 times)
GooseNZ
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Draw Weight vs. Arrow Speed question...
Jan 2nd, 2018 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to archery and decided that I wanted to enter the Traditional Archery side of things.

So...I bought a Bodnik Mohawk Hybrid (Longbow).

I followed the advice of some very accomplished archers and went for a light bow to establish good form in the beginning.

I opted for the Bodnik Mohawk Hybrid at 29# because it allows for limb changes as I progress.

My draw length is 31.5" so I'm actually pulling around 35# (as stated by Henry Bodnik himself).

My arrows are 31grams (478gr) and today I chronographed as I was interested in Momentum (and KE to a lesser extent) as I want to start hunting soon.

I was using a Labradar so was able to get velocities at 5m, 10m, 15m, and 20m. I figure that my velocities "downrange" are the most important as that is where the velocity will matter. (I don't rate my chances of getting close enough to deer that my Broadhead is touching his hide at full draw!  Wink )

Based on my efforts, I now know that at 15m my arrows are going around 150fps.

So...my question is, if I switch to higher poundage limbs, what sort of speed increase should I expect?

For example, I'm thinking about 40# limbs which at my draw is likely to be 47# based on the 2# per 1" rule.

So...I guess, what sort of speed increase should I expect by increasing the bow poundage by 10-12#?

Thanks

Jeremy

IP Logged

WYBOWHNTR
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Draw Weight vs. Arrow Speed question...
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
From my experience you should increase your speed by 15-20 fps for every 10 lbs higher you go up.

IP Logged

Radam

Stickin to tradition

Re: Draw Weight vs. Arrow Speed question...
Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Iím pretty sure youíre ok to hunt with bows 40lbs and up. You can drive yourself mad getting deep into KE and FPS. Shot placement is the best thing to concern yourself with, especially when youíre getting started. My dad has been hunting trad (and building long bows) for over 20 years and now hunts with a 42lb bow. He has no problem getting full pass through on whitetail deer in the US with that. Iíve killed many goats here with a 46lb longbow. Itís all about shot placement.

Also, where do you anchor to get 31.5Ē draw? Are you real tall/long arms?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards