Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) whats happnin with waro in the south island? (Read 6039 times)
rooshoot
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

whats happnin with waro in the south island?
Dec 31st, 2017 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Hey fellas, I've heard rumours that wild veni prices are up and so just wondering what the general consensus is on how much waro activity is happning around the south island??  As far as I'm aware round my patch in the top of the south it's mainly bill hales giving the place a once over, other than that I'm hoping it's not gettin too much of a hammering.

IP Logged

awaterelad
Donor Member

bloody work, i should
be hunting

Re: whats happnin with waro in the south island?
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
chamois and deer being shot up whataroa for pet food.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Realy, are there that many Chamois around.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

pope
Donor Member

SAVE A HORSE, ride a cow
girl

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
by all accounts the ruahines was done over by waro prior to the 1080 drops, queried doc about it but they never bothered to answer my email i think they are sick of me emailing them

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
pope wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 8:12pm:
by all accounts the ruahines was done over by waro prior to the 1080 drops, queried doc about it but they never bothered to answer my email i think they are sick of me emailing them

And the one RUAHINE WARO operator kept hard at it out side the 1080 zone until the end of November. Gut heaps every where. 30 odd (gut bags)  were counted along one ridge, I gather, and not a live deer seen

Could be a quite Roar Undecided

IP Logged

Simon Gibson

Reply #5 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
The price paid per kg for WARO shot wild venison has rocketed in recent months, going from uneconomic to shoot to very econmic. Plenty of WARO taking place in the South Island especially around the Otago area. The boom and bust cycle of WARO shooting has been with us for many decades now and at present it's in a boom cycle.

bnb

IP Logged

rooshoot
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 7:28am
Print Post  
Embarrassed thanks for the feedback.

IP Logged

m robbo

Young Hunter Climb High

Reply #7 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 8:22am
Print Post  
There must be someone form the coast or inland canty that can shed some  more specifics on this?

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #8 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 8:24am
Print Post  
well there goes the big stags we have been leaving to grow bigger over the last few years...lets hope the heat has driven the big velvetys into the shady gullies and they arent out in the open tussock basins for the meat hawks to find.

IP Logged

savage270

https://www.instagra
m.com/shootphoto_nz/

Reply #9 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 11:15am
Print Post  
awaterelad wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 6:38pm:

and tahr, including bulls....

IP Logged

Paul Stenning
Online Forum Guide
Staff

Does life exist north
of the Mataura?

Reply #10 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Waro guys are quiet in the south if they are dependant on processing space at meat works ..... Preference is being given to farmers wanting stock processed due to the very dry conditions.

Never trust those who do not trust others!

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
If DOC had not been forced to rescind the opening of the Ruahines to year round WARO, the tops would be a barren place by end of the summer.

An increase in venison price was always likely, watch out for more wanna be’s Looking to get in on the act. The few RHAs and the like could get a bit crowded come Roar time

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Paul Stenning wrote on Jan 1st, 2018 at 1:02pm:
Waro guys are quiet in the south if they are dependant on processing space at meat works ..... Preference is being given to farmers wanting stock processed due to the very dry conditions.

quite alot has been done but mainly stations and forestry blocks. (Cleaned em out b4 nzda took over the rigging of the ballots  Grin Grin)

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 10:51am
Print Post  
savage270 wrote on Jan 1st, 2018 at 11:15am:

So which company is selling Petfood in NZ that has Thar and Chams in it? Anyone know this.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #14 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 10:51am:

So which company is selling Petfood in NZ that has Thar and Chams in it? Anyone know this.

Its sold/classed as goat petfood. heard there was an outfit in marlbrough area that was buying a while back.

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #15 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Bill H has been known to sell his v3nison for petfood.

Right now, i'd be surprized if venision is going into petfood. And I imagine they wont have a problem getting it processed

Chamoi/Tahr. its only good for dog tucker anyway Roll Eyes

IP Logged

savage270

m.com/shootphoto_nz/

Reply #16 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 8:05pm
Print Post  

2 seconds of google-fu came up with this: https://purepetfoods.nz/pages/about-us

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #17 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Pfffff TH,typical veni-cray-blue cod-spoiled kiwi talking!  Tongue

Brno ZKK 600 in .270

IP Logged

longwoodssouthland

Reply #18 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Flat out in South fiordland most of it having to go to chch. They geting $6 kg at mo

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #19 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 5:42am
Print Post  
Pete82 wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 8:10pm:
Pfffff TH,typical veni-cray-blue cod-spoiled kiwi talking!  Tongue

Smiley

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #20 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
savage270 wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 8:05pm:

2 seconds of google-fu came up with this: https://purepetfoods.nz/pages/about-us

Thanks, this is a new company, based in Twizel. Probably irrational on my part, and Ive known there have been Tahr shot for petfood for many years, but for some reason I feel that little shard of anger to learn that its now a local operation. Much the same as many of you feel about wild deer recovery operations I suppose.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

Reply #21 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
It's not owned by DOC ? Roll Eyes

Wrinkles are the map of your soulful journey,,,you'd be lost without them,,

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #22 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
I might be stirring up some heavy mud here but: Don't the WARO operators have same right to be there as all of us? I don't think that's its such a "gold goose" to pluck as running costs are not fun with choppers,pilots,certifications... I know that hammering easily accessible locations is unfair but again - its us "foot" hunters problem that we cant find common ground with DOC to discuss this...

Brno ZKK 600 in .270

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #23 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
EC wrote on Jan 3rd, 2018 at 6:13pm:
It's not owned by DOC ? Roll Eyes

lol but one cant help but wonder as there is a Doc office  not far away.   

I imagine there is the odd discussion on where numbers are high.

To be fair DOC at basement level in Twizel are historically very helpful to any individual who contacts them about a good place to hunt Tahr, and I have always given them a big thumbs up for that.

What we are experiencing now in this area is an intensification of use of all available resources on/in National Parks/ public land, and private,, through the whole area, with ever more tourists. Its become quite intense.

Its not just the Tourism pressure but the number of Kiwi Hunters in the area as well.

never seen so many full camo trucks cruising up and down the SH8 as this year.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #24 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Pete82 wrote on Jan 3rd, 2018 at 6:13pm:
I might be stirring up some heavy mud here but: Don't the WARO operators have same right to be there as all of us? I don't think that's its such a "gold goose" to pluck as running costs are not fun with choppers,pilots,certifications... I know that hammering easily accessible locations is unfair but again - its us "foot" hunters problem that we cant find common ground with DOC to discuss this...

just go for it Pete. We need a good bit of self flagellation every now and again.  Grin

IP Logged

recurveaddict
Donor Member

Reply #25 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 8:16am
Print Post  
so where is this activity allowed to take place? for example, in the whataroa, can they shoot anywhere in the entire valley? is there exclusion zones where this is not allowed? (at least, not allowed to get caught)

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #26 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 10:57am
Print Post  
recurveaddict wrote on Jan 4th, 2018 at 8:16am:
so where is this activity allowed to take place? for example, in the whataroa, can they shoot anywhere in the entire valley? is there exclusion zones where this is not allowed? (at least, not allowed to get caught)

wherever their concession allows them too, id say there mayby a buffer from walking tracks huts etc but usually theres not many boundaries for a whirlybird

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #27 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 5:11pm
Print Post  

No more mud than anything before, peter82 Smiley

WARO is no longer the 'golden goose', mainly guys that doit for the lifestyle mainly. But, they all want to make a profit out of it.

Historically, its been a DOC (and previously the NZFS) dogma that WARo get access to everything possible, and that theres mainly been no recognition of rec hunters rights as equal players under the Wild Animal Control Act (WACA)

Also, hunters have an entitlement under the Conservation Act, (fostering recreation - including hunting)
Commercial hunting does not have that entitlement

In fact, the only justification (legally) for commercial helicopter hunting is for the "Control" of wild animals (Deer, tahr etc)

So if deer are "under control", there is an argument that rec hunting should have preference. There are quite a few places on Conservation land that WARO has been excluded, because deer are kept 'under control' by rec hunters.

So if hunters want a better deal, they have to speak up and say so. (and actually do something about it)
"Game Management" of deer has been the long talked about goal of hunters, but is never going to happen, unless WARO is totally excluded, or, conditions in WARO permits require more targeted deer selection and/or harvest levels are set. To get this, the existing free for all "Open Slather" WARO system needs to change.

The Game Animal Council proposed a new better managed system than the current one, but were ignored by DOC

Senior DOC manager promised a total review of the current permitting system, to make it "more sustainable" and get agreement between hunters and DOC. This was at the NZDA annual national Conference.

Recently, DOC reneged on that commitment, and decided not to do as promised.

And at a recent series of meeting with DOC/WARO and recreational hunting reps (NZDA) , DOC has chosen to conclude that there is no major concerns by rec hunters, so the system will stay as is (The Lower North Island Red Deer Foundation reps attended this forum as well)
The meeting I attended, there was no satisfaction conveyed, (with the current system)

So for the next 5 or 10 years, (f the next permit period) there is no likelihood of any change in the WARO permitting system.

And don't be surprized if existing RHAs and other 'closed' areas (too WARO) also get looked at for opening to WARO

Hunters have probably been too complacent about WARO for some years, because "hunting has never been better" attitude. That could all change.
certainly in the lower north island, long standing WARO closures were removed in the last permit renewals, and we will struggle to get that changed. That's despite winning a High Court challenge against DOC decisions to open those areas up.

IMO, rec hunters are too apathetic about deer management and effects of commercial deer recovery. There is a place for WARO, but not always at the expense of rec hunting and Game Management.
The old "they don't get them all" is just head in the sand stuff. And the effects of WARO are more significant on deer hunting, than 1080 is. WARo hunt the prime deer spots, same as we do, and take the biggest animals. get a few more helicopters getting into it to make some quick $$ and hunting will become a lot different to what it is now.

Bit of a long winded reply, Pete but its an issue that some have put considerable effort into, to get better deer management.  Smiley

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #28 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the comprehensive update, TH.

Is it likely that the GAC will 'speak out' against DoC's apparent decision to renege on previous undertakings, or are they too constrained as 'serfs of the minister'?

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #29 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Max wrote on Jan 4th, 2018 at 6:18pm:
Thanks for the comprehensive update, TH.

Is it likely that the GAC will 'speak out' against DoC's apparent decision to renege on previous undertakings, or are they too constrained as 'serfs of the minister'? 

Think they deal with the Minister of Cons (only?) on issues like this

Bit the LNIRDF and others are lobbying in support of reviewing the permit system.
Rec hunters can do likewise. write to the Minister of Conservation. And also "hunter friendly" members of NZFirst perhaps. Theres some hunters among them I gather

IP Logged

pope
Donor Member

SAVE A HORSE, ride a cow
girl

Reply #30 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
TH,I hear what you are saying about waro,but my experience back in the eighties when waro was shooting the crap out of the headwaters of the rumahunga in the taraura,s my mates and I were shooting plenty in the fringe country due to the deer getting pushed down into the creeks and farms,the word was soon out and rec hunters had plenty to shoot,one farm at a road end in the northern end of the tarries you could see them feeding from the car park,the poor old farmer was having night mares with hunters poaching Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #31 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
pope wrote on Jan 4th, 2018 at 7:06pm:
TH,I hear what you are saying about waro,but my experience back in the eighties when waro was shooting the crap out of the headwaters of the rumahunga in the taraura,s my mates and I were shooting plenty in the fringe country due to the deer getting pushed down into the creeks and farms,the word was soon out and rec hunters had plenty to shoot,one farm at a road end in the northern end of the tarries you could see them feeding from the car park,the poor old farmer was having night mares with hunters poaching Roll Eyes

who wants to hunt paddocks and bush fringes, Pope.

That's not why I go hunting

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #32 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 8:04pm
Print Post  

Maybe there was the odd exception, Pope.

But my recollection is that as a young guy trying to learn the ropes and get a few under his belt, the late 1970's and early 1980's were a f**king nightmare........

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #33 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Tararua Hunter wrote on Jan 4th, 2018 at 5:11pm:

No more mud than anything before, peter82 Smiley

WARO is no longer the 'golden goose', mainly guys that doit for the lifestyle mainly. But, they all want to make a profit out of it.

Historically, its been a DOC (and previously the NZFS) dogma that WARo get access to everything possible, and that theres mainly been no recognition of rec hunters rights as equal players under the Wild Animal Control Act (WACA)

Also, hunters have an entitlement under the Conservation Act, (fostering recreation - including hunting)
Commercial hunting does not have that entitlement

In fact, the only justification (legally) for commercial helicopter hunting is for the "Control" of wild animals (Deer, tahr etc)

So if deer are "under control", there is an argument that rec hunting should have preference. There are quite a few places on Conservation land that WARO has been excluded, because deer are kept 'under control' by rec hunters.

So if hunters want a better deal, they have to speak up and say so. (and actually do something about it)
"Game Management" of deer has been the long talked about goal of hunters, but is never going to happen, unless WARO is totally excluded, or, conditions in WARO permits require more targeted deer selection and/or harvest levels are set. To get this, the existing free for all "Open Slather" WARO system needs to change.

The Game Animal Council proposed a new better managed system than the current one, but were ignored by DOC

Senior DOC manager promised a total review of the current permitting system, to make it "more sustainable" and get agreement between hunters and DOC. This was at the NZDA annual national Conference.

Recently, DOC reneged on that commitment, and decided not to do as promised.

And at a recent series of meeting with DOC/WARO and recreational hunting reps (NZDA) , DOC has chosen to conclude that there is no major concerns by rec hunters, so the system will stay as is (The Lower North Island Red Deer Foundation reps attended this forum as well)
The meeting I attended, there was no satisfaction conveyed, (with the current system)

So for the next 5 or 10 years, (f the next permit period) there is no likelihood of any change in the WARO permitting system.

And don't be surprized if existing RHAs and other 'closed' areas (too WARO) also get looked at for opening to WARO

Hunters have probably been too complacent about WARO for some years, because "hunting has never been better" attitude. That could all change.
certainly in the lower north island, long standing WARO closures were removed in the last permit renewals, and we will struggle to get that changed. That's despite winning a High Court challenge against DOC decisions to open those areas up.

IMO, rec hunters are too apathetic about deer management and effects of commercial deer recovery. There is a place for WARO, but not always at the expense of rec hunting and Game Management.
The old "they don't get them all" is just head in the sand stuff. And the effects of WARO are more significant on deer hunting, than 1080 is. WARo hunt the prime deer spots, same as we do, and take the biggest animals. get a few more helicopters getting into it to make some quick $$ and hunting will become a lot different to what it is now.

Bit of a long winded reply, Pete but its an issue that some have put considerable effort into, to get better deer management.  Smiley

Wow very thorough and well explained,thank you very much TH for your reply!  Cool

Brno ZKK 600 in .270

IP Logged

pope
Donor Member

SAVE A HORSE, ride a cow
girl

Reply #34 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Tararua Hunter wrote on Jan 4th, 2018 at 7:31pm:

who wants to hunt paddocks and bush fringes, Pope.

That's not why I go hunting

where or how you choose to hunt is of little consequence to me ,  Sad

tregear stream in the tararua's was another good spot for deer even through the days of waro, very few deer there now due to the 1080 drops around otaki forks, last trip there 4 years back produced one solitary animal which i left

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #35 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Max wrote on Jan 4th, 2018 at 8:04pm:

But my recollection is that as a young guy trying to learn the ropes and get a few under his belt, the late 1970's and early 1980's were a f**king nightmare........

70s, choppers hadn't started here, yet. But in Canterbury the tops were pretty barren.
1980s and there was no point in hunting the tops, here.

learner hunters must had a hard time
Its no accident that hunting has become more popular, with the decrease in WARO over the last 10 ywears

month ago, 30 odd gut bags seen on one ridge in the Ruahines. No deer seen. Tops could again empty

I for one have done my time sneaking around the bush. Most hunters that fly in, head to the alpine areas. if the venison economics get any better, they may as well stay in the bush.

makes me wonder why sthwestland/Otago Blocks are so popular. Seems bugga all deer get seen,usually

IP Logged

pope
Donor Member

SAVE A HORSE, ride a cow
girl

Reply #36 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Max ,the eighties was the best times for me,sure it wasn't easy,the biggest problem I found was the number of hunters around because of the price of venison,one week in the hutt valley after work produced 5deer,

I doubt you would see the deer around the water storage lakes again ,I worked there building two of the water storage tanks,was roaring at stags on the ridges while working

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #37 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Tararua Hunter wrote on Jan 4th, 2018 at 8:45pm:

70s, choppers hadn't started here, yet. But in Canterbury the tops were pretty barren.

Its no accident that hunting has become more popular, with the decrease in WARO over the last 10 ywears

month ago, 30 odd gut bags seen on one ridge in the Ruahines. No deer seen. Tops could again empty

I for one have done my time sneaking around the bush. Most hunters that fly in, head to the alpine areas. if the venison economics get any better, they may as well stay in the bush.

makes me wonder why sthwestland/Otago Blocks are so popular. Seems bugga all deer get seen,usually

I had in my mind that the Ruahines were officially opened to helicopters in 1976.......? And certainly there were heaps of operators based out of Taupo around then, but a lot of that was (supposed to be) on private land?

Fair to record also that as well as the helicopters there were heaps of ground hunters/spotlighters etc cleaning up the handy ones ...... places like Turangi teeming with old Landrovers with Holden engine transplants and spotlighting racks on the roofs..... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

outdoorlad
Forum Font

Reply #38 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 11:44am
Print Post  
I remember plenty of trips in the 80's where we didn't even see a deer, we don't ever want to go back to that!

As for these pricks shooting Chamois for pet food, that really pisses me off as they fly into a catchment & wipe out whole family groups, takes a while for them to recover.

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #39 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Max wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 10:42am:

I had in my mind that the Ruahines were officially opened to helicopters in 1976.......? And certainly there were heaps of operators based out of Taupo around then, but a lot of that was (supposed to be) on private land?

Fair to record also that as well as the helicopters there were heaps of ground hunters/spotlighters etc cleaning up the handy ones ...... places like Turangi teeming with old Landrovers with Holden engine transplants and spotlighting racks on the roofs..... Roll Eyes

Tararuas and started in late 70s, Ruahines bout 76, or there abouts, Max
In Bay of plenty forests, Waihaha, aerial shooting began in  70s, whirinaki about 1980. (ground hunting - heli pickup only prior to that. )The private kaimanawa land was getting bombed up earlier, ditto the other pvt blocks like Pohokura.
But poaching of everywhere was rife, from early on
Urewera national park was bit later the State Forest areas, the parks board wernt keen.

Could still get deer in the bush blocks like Urewera, but the open tops of the Tararuas got hammered and by the mid 80s, it was almost a waste of time. Interestingly, NZFS hunters were still used in early 1980s, while WARO  was going on in the same places

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #40 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
Tararua Hunter wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 1:07pm:
Max wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 10:42am:

Tararuas and started in late 70s, Ruahines bout 76, or there abouts, Max
In Bay of plenty forests, Waihaha, aerial shooting began in  70s, whirinaki about 1980. (ground hunting - heli pickup only prior to that. )The private kaimanawa land was getting bombed up earlier, ditto the other pvt blocks like Pohokura.
But poaching of everywhere was rife, from early on
Urewera national park was bit later the State Forest areas, the parks board wernt keen.

Could still get deer in the bush blocks like Urewera, but the open tops of the Tararuas got hammered and by the mid 80s, it was almost a waste of time. Interestingly, NZFS hunters were still used in early 1980s, while WARO  was going on in the same places

Yep....had dinner just tonite with the brother-in-law who was ground hunting for NZFS in NE Ruahines in 1977.....and he was sitting across the table from one of Connells pilots from Taupo who was  shooting everywhere he should and shouldn't have been then too.  Grin

As I recall it the Kawekas were never formally opened up to aerial hunting, but that certainly didn't stop it happening. Just checked my diary, and we shared the hut with a NZFS ground hunter in Tussock in 1985......

Interesting that both of them (the hunter still works for DoC and the pilot has done a term or 3 on the local Conservation Board) both hold the view that the current 'free for all' WARO regime fails both conservation goals and recreational hunters objectives.......

IP Logged

30late

Taihape where men are
men and sheep are nervous

Reply #41 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 7:59am
Print Post  
It would seem from talking to locals that in the Ruahines  WARO have been very busy before the 1080 drop with large tallies shot , which means we could be in for leaner times at least on the open tops.
And God knows! how many deer the 1080 drop killed .
This is very disappointing with all the hard work various people and organisations have put in to try and get a more sustainable WARO system and some kind of game management system as well.

IP Logged

awaterelad
Donor Member

bloody work, i should
be hunting

Reply #42 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
so are the game animal council not going to be much help?  are government depts not willing to relinquish any responsibility for management, or are they just choosing their battles until they have funding and a little more leverage before ramping up the pressure

IP Logged

smiddy
Forum Font

hunting,  not working

Reply #43 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
the operators over here started hammering it last feb when the price come right and havnt really let up due to the $$$ at mo

IP Logged

highcountry

Preserve our game animals,
join NZDA

Reply #44 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 6:04am
Print Post  
If you realy give a shit. Join NZDA, numbers count. There is a hard working core of people working with GAC to have our game animals recognized as such and the populations managed for generations to come as our fore fathers wanted when they released them.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #45 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 6:30am
Print Post  
highcountry wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 6:04am:
If you realy give a shit. Join NZDA, numbers count. There is a hard working core of people working with GAC to have our game animals recognized as such and the populations managed for generations to come as our fore fathers wanted when they released them.

the choppers are doing good management, hunters cant seem to get their heads around shooting cull animals, for gac and trophy hunters culling is not what they do.

hunters are our own worst enemy

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

Reply #46 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 7:40am
Print Post  
gonehuntin wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 6:30am:
highcountry wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 6:04am:

the choppers are doing good management, hunters cant seem to get their heads around shooting cull animals, for gac and trophy hunters culling is not what they do.

hunters are our own worst enemy

Choppers are shooting the biggest stags they can find = more money. They are not managing the herds they are raping them!

The only chopper managment is done with FWF in the wapiti blocks. Everywhere else is a free for all.

IP Logged

puddleduk

Reply #47 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 8:22am
Print Post  
WARO on private land may be doing good management but as you say Stug the only management on DOC land is in the wapiti area, elsewhere hinds with fawns and big velvets are being shot, thats not management at all just straight out killing not culling.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #48 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 8:30am
Print Post  
raping them is better then not shooting a single animal.  its no wonder doc smash areas with 1080 hunters cant be trusted to do anything except their own selfish agenda and refuse to shoot this and that blah blah blah,  roll them and let them rot if you dont want waro to get them.

IP Logged

puddleduk

Reply #49 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Raping them? Sounds like you need help from a psychiatrist.

IP Logged

savage270

m.com/shootphoto_nz/

Reply #50 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 10:00am
Print Post  
surely this is a windup?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards