Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) whats happnin with waro in the south island? (Read 8651 times)
Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: whats happnin with waro in the south island?
Reply #15 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Bill H has been known to sell his v3nison for petfood.

Right now, i'd be surprized if venision is going into petfood. And I imagine they wont have a problem getting it processed

Chamoi/Tahr. its only good for dog tucker anyway Roll Eyes

IP Logged

savage270

https://www.instagra
m.com/shootphoto_nz/

Reply #16 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 10:51am:
savage270 wrote on Jan 1st, 2018 at 11:15am:
awaterelad wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 6:38pm:
chamois and deer being shot up whataroa for pet food.

and tahr, including bulls....

So which company is selling Petfood in NZ that has Thar and Chams in it? Anyone know this.

2 seconds of google-fu came up with this: https://purepetfoods.nz/pages/about-us

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #17 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Pfffff TH,typical veni-cray-blue cod-spoiled kiwi talking!  Tongue

IP Logged

longwoodssouthland

Reply #18 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Flat out in South fiordland most of it having to go to chch. They geting $6 kg at mo

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #19 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 5:42am
Print Post  
Pete82 wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 8:10pm:
Pfffff TH,typical veni-cray-blue cod-spoiled kiwi talking!  Tongue

Smiley

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #20 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
savage270 wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 8:05pm:
headcase wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 10:51am:
savage270 wrote on Jan 1st, 2018 at 11:15am:
awaterelad wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 6:38pm:
chamois and deer being shot up whataroa for pet food.

and tahr, including bulls....

So which company is selling Petfood in NZ that has Thar and Chams in it? Anyone know this.

2 seconds of google-fu came up with this: https://purepetfoods.nz/pages/about-us

Thanks, this is a new company, based in Twizel. Probably irrational on my part, and Ive known there have been Tahr shot for petfood for many years, but for some reason I feel that little shard of anger to learn that its now a local operation. Much the same as many of you feel about wild deer recovery operations I suppose.  Roll Eyes

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

Reply #21 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
It's not owned by DOC ? Roll Eyes

Wrinkles are the map of your soulful journey,,,you'd be lost without them,,

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #22 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
I might be stirring up some heavy mud here but: Don't the WARO operators have same right to be there as all of us? I don't think that's its such a "gold goose" to pluck as running costs are not fun with choppers,pilots,certifications... I know that hammering easily accessible locations is unfair but again - its us "foot" hunters problem that we cant find common ground with DOC to discuss this...

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #23 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
EC wrote on Jan 3rd, 2018 at 6:13pm:
It's not owned by DOC ? Roll Eyes

lol but one cant help but wonder as there is a Doc office  not far away.   

I imagine there is the odd discussion on where numbers are high.

To be fair DOC at basement level in Twizel are historically very helpful to any individual who contacts them about a good place to hunt Tahr, and I have always given them a big thumbs up for that.

What we are experiencing now in this area is an intensification of use of all available resources on/in National Parks/ public land, and private,, through the whole area, with ever more tourists. Its become quite intense.

Its not just the Tourism pressure but the number of Kiwi Hunters in the area as well.

never seen so many full camo trucks cruising up and down the SH8 as this year.  Roll Eyes

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #24 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Pete82 wrote on Jan 3rd, 2018 at 6:13pm:
I might be stirring up some heavy mud here but: Don't the WARO operators have same right to be there as all of us? I don't think that's its such a "gold goose" to pluck as running costs are not fun with choppers,pilots,certifications... I know that hammering easily accessible locations is unfair but again - its us "foot" hunters problem that we cant find common ground with DOC to discuss this...

just go for it Pete. We need a good bit of self flagellation every now and again.  Grin

IP Logged

recurveaddict
Donor Member

Reply #25 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 8:16am
Print Post  
so where is this activity allowed to take place? for example, in the whataroa, can they shoot anywhere in the entire valley? is there exclusion zones where this is not allowed? (at least, not allowed to get caught)

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #26 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 10:57am
Print Post  
recurveaddict wrote on Jan 4th, 2018 at 8:16am:
so where is this activity allowed to take place? for example, in the whataroa, can they shoot anywhere in the entire valley? is there exclusion zones where this is not allowed? (at least, not allowed to get caught)

wherever their concession allows them too, id say there mayby a buffer from walking tracks huts etc but usually theres not many boundaries for a whirlybird

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #27 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Pete82 wrote on Jan 3rd, 2018 at 6:13pm:

No more mud than anything before, peter82 Smiley

WARO is no longer the 'golden goose', mainly guys that doit for the lifestyle mainly. But, they all want to make a profit out of it.

Historically, its been a DOC (and previously the NZFS) dogma that WARo get access to everything possible, and that theres mainly been no recognition of rec hunters rights as equal players under the Wild Animal Control Act (WACA)

Also, hunters have an entitlement under the Conservation Act, (fostering recreation - including hunting)
Commercial hunting does not have that entitlement

In fact, the only justification (legally) for commercial helicopter hunting is for the "Control" of wild animals (Deer, tahr etc)

So if deer are "under control", there is an argument that rec hunting should have preference. There are quite a few places on Conservation land that WARO has been excluded, because deer are kept 'under control' by rec hunters.

So if hunters want a better deal, they have to speak up and say so. (and actually do something about it)
"Game Management" of deer has been the long talked about goal of hunters, but is never going to happen, unless WARO is totally excluded, or, conditions in WARO permits require more targeted deer selection and/or harvest levels are set. To get this, the existing free for all "Open Slather" WARO system needs to change.

The Game Animal Council proposed a new better managed system than the current one, but were ignored by DOC

Senior DOC manager promised a total review of the current permitting system, to make it "more sustainable" and get agreement between hunters and DOC. This was at the NZDA annual national Conference.

Recently, DOC reneged on that commitment, and decided not to do as promised.

And at a recent series of meeting with DOC/WARO and recreational hunting reps (NZDA) , DOC has chosen to conclude that there is no major concerns by rec hunters, so the system will stay as is (The Lower North Island Red Deer Foundation reps attended this forum as well)
The meeting I attended, there was no satisfaction conveyed, (with the current system)

So for the next 5 or 10 years, (f the next permit period) there is no likelihood of any change in the WARO permitting system.

And don't be surprized if existing RHAs and other 'closed' areas (too WARO) also get looked at for opening to WARO

Hunters have probably been too complacent about WARO for some years, because "hunting has never been better" attitude. That could all change.
certainly in the lower north island, long standing WARO closures were removed in the last permit renewals, and we will struggle to get that changed. That's despite winning a High Court challenge against DOC decisions to open those areas up.

IMO, rec hunters are too apathetic about deer management and effects of commercial deer recovery. There is a place for WARO, but not always at the expense of rec hunting and Game Management.
The old "they don't get them all" is just head in the sand stuff. And the effects of WARO are more significant on deer hunting, than 1080 is. WARo hunt the prime deer spots, same as we do, and take the biggest animals. get a few more helicopters getting into it to make some quick $$ and hunting will become a lot different to what it is now.

Bit of a long winded reply, Pete but its an issue that some have put considerable effort into, to get better deer management.  Smiley

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #28 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the comprehensive update, TH.

Is it likely that the GAC will 'speak out' against DoC's apparent decision to renege on previous undertakings, or are they too constrained as 'serfs of the minister'?

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #29 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Max wrote on Jan 4th, 2018 at 6:18pm:
Thanks for the comprehensive update, TH.

Is it likely that the GAC will 'speak out' against DoC's apparent decision to renege on previous undertakings, or are they too constrained as 'serfs of the minister'? 

Think they deal with the Minister of Cons (only?) on issues like this

Bit the LNIRDF and others are lobbying in support of reviewing the permit system.
Rec hunters can do likewise. write to the Minister of Conservation. And also "hunter friendly" members of NZFirst perhaps. Theres some hunters among them I gather

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards