Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic scope turret removal (Read 677 times)
runningfish
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

scope turret removal
Dec 28th, 2017 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Gday there
I brought a new scope today, vortex diamondback tactical, set it all up how i wanted it, bore sighted it, then set about removing the turrets to set my zero, but on the first turn of the allen key on both turrets it chewed the allen key head out, leaving me with a round hole where once there was a hexagon hole! anyone out there got any ideas of how i might get these screws out?
regards
Geoff

IP Logged

ChrisHB
Forum Senior

Re: scope turret removal
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 6:32am
Print Post  
Did the Allen key come with the scope? If not, I'd suspect you were using an under-sized one.

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 6:38am
Print Post  
You must have a different version to the Vortex instruction manual for the diamondback scope that I have just looked up, perhaps its the tactical bit, in the instructions that I read the allen screws are not mentioned, in fact they are not apparent. It may be that they are there on the tactical model and it may be that they are fixed against removal, in trying to undo them you have, as you have stated, stuffed them up and in so doing you have buggered the whole thing up, an achievement most of us take years to achieve.

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 6:42am
Print Post  

IP Logged

runningfish
Just Joined

Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 7:09am
Print Post  
Geepers I'm a muppet!!!!
I already have a vortex viper pst on another rifle, so i just blundered in asuming i knew what i was doing! How wrong i was! lesson here is, stop take 5 and read the instructions!

feeling somewhat embarrassed!

Geoff

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Reply #5 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 10:37am
Print Post  
The old saying "if all else fails, read the instructions" is still pretty apt but then again, from time to time, we are all guilty of rushing in  Cheesy

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #6 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
If you still want to remove the screws you could try using a slightly larger allen key, metric or imperial. You may have used a metric key in imperial hex or vice versa. 3mm Vs 1/8" ( 3.15mm )

Sometimes if the screw is loctited in a bit of heat will let it go. Hold the tip of a soldering iron on it, then try allen key again. Not sure if I would put heat on my new scope though.

Another option is super glue on the allen key. Very smal amount though so it doesn't get onto the thread and make it worse.

Or just leave it, If I read the instructions properly it seems it doesn't have to be removed anymore.

Good luck.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards