Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Kaimai hunting help needed (Read 2838 times)
Daniel 7mmWSM
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Kaimai hunting help needed
Dec 28th, 2017 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Hey guys I'm trying to hunt the kaimais to see if I can fill the freezer but I'm finding it pretty hard as I'm not a very good bush stalker and pretty new to deer stalking. I would like to do some shooting into slips or open river beds to try and increase my luck. Not after anyone's spot x but if someone could point me in a direction of an area where I can find some slips to glass for a few hours would be greatly appreciated for this keen young hunter. Prefer the Waihi, KatiKati or Te Aroha area as I'm living in Waihi now. Cheers

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Kaimai hunting help needed
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Not really any open riverbeds in there.
Hardly anywhere you can watch slips from.
Only way round it is to walk and find spots.
If you’re finding it too noisy try wearing sneakers or just socks.

IP Logged

thebomb
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Google earth will give you an idea of slips then go,and have a look.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 9:02am
Print Post  
south side of thomsons track up high are a few slips,,always used to be deer sign on them,,eve is best so might need to camp out up there

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

mitch270
Donor Member

No longer owns a .270

Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Heaps of slips north of te rereatukahia hut all the way up to Cashmore’s. They’re only on the slips sometimes, and they’re in the bush most of the time!

IP Logged

Monowai

If hunting was easy everyone
would be doing it

Reply #5 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Summer and deer stalking dont always go together.  On hot days the deer will be in the shade quite deep into the bush.  They will be out at night when its cool.  And remember that if you get a deer you need to cool it off quickly to avoid the meat going off.  (And that means get it into a freezer quickly.)
Spring and Autumn are better for stalking.

IP Logged

Browning Gold
Forum Font

Sink or Swim

Reply #6 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Rain forecast for later next week Deer like dressing with their salad so keep an eye on the forecast and plans your hunts around some cooler temperatures

IP Logged

chris dawson
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #7 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Ive had only a few days hunting in there. Tight bush everywhere  ! Gota walk further to find slips, and thats not a guarentee.
Im still yet to shoot a deer im the kaimais.
Hit me up for a mission some time if ya want.

if at least one of my kids learns enough from me to provide kai for their whanau , the I have done my job
AIM  
IP Logged

mitch270
Donor Member

No longer owns a .270

Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
chris dawson wrote on Jan 1st, 2018 at 9:35pm:
Ive had only a few days hunting in there. Tight bush everywhere  ! Gota walk further to find slips, and thats not a guarentee.

Keep at it, there’s plenty of reasonable bush in the Kaimais too. Everyone seems to complain about the supplejack, but once you work out how to hunt the place it’s not to hard to get around without venturing into the crappy bits.

IP Logged

lazfire
Donor Member

If you see a deer, shoot
it.

Reply #9 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Although I have not seen a deer in the Kaimai's yet after having had 5 sleepover trips in there. Its a lot of fun just going and exploring it. If you don't get a deer it's nice to walk out knowing that you dont have to go through the physical punishment in having to carry out a deer.

Kind regards,
Lawrence

IP Logged

chris dawson
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #10 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 7:52am
Print Post  
mitch270 wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 8:16pm:
chris dawson wrote on Jan 1st, 2018 at 9:35pm:

Keep at it, there’s plenty of reasonable bush in the Kaimais too. Everyone seems to complain about the supplejack, but once you work out how to hunt the place it’s not to hard to get around without venturing into the crappy bits.

Yeah ive spooked plenty in my travels. I know they are there. Good things take time Smiley just wish i had more time to get in there regularly. Smiley
Maybe 2018 will bring me some luck !

if at least one of my kids learns enough from me to provide kai for their whanau , the I have done my job
AIM  
IP Logged

Kane h

Reply #11 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
shot 1st red for the Kaimais this morning just b4 the rain shot it in the only nice piece of Bush in the area  i was in what a mish to get it back to camp through the supple jack . lucky my dog is a built in gps back tracked me out . some dickhead had shot a yearling butcherd it an left it on the doc track makes us all look shit crawling with maggots in middle of track

IP Logged

Kane h

Reply #12 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Daniel 7mmWSM wrote on Dec 28th, 2017 at 3:41pm:
Hey guys I'm trying to hunt the kaimais to see if I can fill the freezer but I'm finding it pretty hard as I'm not a very good bush stalker and pretty new to deer stalking. I would like to do some shooting into slips or open river beds to try and increase my luck. Not after anyone's spot x but if someone could point me in a direction of an area where I can find some slips to glass for a few hours would be greatly appreciated for this keen young hunter. Prefer the Waihi, KatiKati or Te Aroha area as I'm living in Waihi now. Cheers

my 10c . find a area you like with good sign and get to know it well . use cheap trail camera to see what's around and more importantly what time they moving . and keep at it . this has worked real for me in other local areas . trail cams are gold!

IP Logged

Daniel 7mmWSM
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #13 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 5:35am
Print Post  
I've pig hunted the Coromandel for a few years and they are pretty much the same bush wise have hunted the dogs in the kaimais a few times but been to many deer and hard to keep them off them so thought deer stalking would be better in there. Just need to learn the trick to bush stalking I think. Shot 50+ deer in other places over the years so hopefully it's just a time thing cheers guys

IP Logged

Garret
Forum Senior

Reply #14 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 8:09am
Print Post  
Bush stalking is such an art that I've never come close to sorting out. There are a heap of threads and hunters on here which are packed with good tips and pointers - use the search function. Then the most important thing by far is get out there and practise and learn both from your successes and co*k ups. First step is getting reliably to areas which have plenty of sign, then starting to regularly spook them and finally bowling the odd one over.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards