Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Pure Staffordshire's, will they find? (Read 778 times)
Jdub

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Pure Staffordshire's, will they find?
Dec 27th, 2017 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Now before anyone tells me don't waste my time just get a real hunting breed, yes I'm aware of what breeds are suited to what...

2 things... I love my Staffordshire terriers, owned a purebred and been around them for years... Their compact size I particularly like as I don't like big hairy dogs inside and they fit in the car easy...

Secondly, I do a bit of pig hunting with a mate, but have other interests so it can be months between hunts...

When the time comes to buy another dog I'm torn between buying a hunting breed but not utilizing it enough and it gets bored etc or buying another Staffy but get frustrated with it not being able to atleast learn from my mates dogs and at minimum follow his dogs...

Could a pure Staffy learn how to use its nose and be an ok back up/ close finder??

I'm thinking yes, if introduced properly, we have recently discovered an area with good pig numbers so finding fresh sign regularly should be possible...

Thoughts?

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: Pure Staffordshire's, will they find?
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
just about any dog CAN find.....just like any human can be basketball star Grin Grin but having above nornal ability or indeed the will to do so is what you need to consider....
my thoughts are if dog enjoys the hunt/scrap at end of it it might just join the dots and decide to find for you..... my personal issue with it is that you may well struggle to get dog to bail as it could well just be find and grab....plurry hard to let small pig go and wee ones will just get chomped ...any length of time on pig will see it chewed up badly
flip coin and you have a bailed pig you can look at and then decide to take or not.... call dogs off or give grab it command.... one of the most sucessful pig hunters on the forum uses foxies...only 2 of them and one has only 3 legs Shocked

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 6:51am
Print Post  
British Staffies no, they are companion dogs.
American Staffies yes, they hunt like fury, but are very high energy and get nutty if cooped up. Also they never let go of any pig so youíll need to keep the Visa card handy.
The 2 Iíve seen used were slayers but always got themselves smashed up on boars. I think thatís why guys prefer them crossbred with something with brains. A lot easier on the pocket but still strong enough to hold a good boar.

IP Logged

Kane h

Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
not the fastest dogs in world hold like no tomorrow tho love a scrap got a am staff x English.  but heading dog is my deer dog staff stays home

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards