Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Recreational Hunters - NZís Greatest Voluntary Eco-Warriors (Read 1011 times)
stewart.h
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Recreational Hunters - NZís Greatest Voluntary Eco-Warriors
Dec 25th, 2017 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
(Please feel free to share this far and wide.)

Willie Apiata .. celebrated war hero .. and NZís only living example of a winner of the Victoria Cross .. is a Recreational Hunter.
That is no coincidence!
Throughout human history - it has been those who have borne arms .. who have also fed us .. and protected us.
Those who hunt during times of peace .. are amongst the first to drop everything and defend us .. when a threat to our national safety or our way of life arises.
Proportionally, more members of the Armed Forces are Hunters - than amongst the general population.
In past times of war (lest we forget .. and may we never need the services of such men and women again) - Hunters and others with firearms experience have injected weapons competence amongst those drafted into our Armed Forces.
And given that ALL animal species hunted in New Zealand are introduced - and many are regarded as pests (especially when allowed to achieve high population numbers) collectively, Hunters make a bigger practical contribution to ecological protection - than any other unpaid group of people in New Zealand - bar none.† For example, an estimated 150-200,000 big game animals (deer, pigs, tahr and chamois) are harvested .. largely, as food for the table .. every year.† Thatís in addition to countless other introduced species requiring control .. including possums, rabbits, hares, ducks, geese .. and other introduced animals and birds.† As well as every mustelid and feral cat we can draw a bead on.
All at zero cost to the taxpayer (indeed, as a positive contributor to public monies .. by way of taxes paid on many millions of dollars of costs).
And with Nil native species bykill.
Imagine the multiplication effect if all of THAT didnít happen!
All of these animals and birds .. every, single one of them .. and the multiplier of their offspring .. would have to be controlled by other means .. if they werenít harvested by Recreational Hunters.
Many of them would have to be poisoned - the most heinous death of all.† (And, a great waste of food.)
So here in New Zealand .. itís about time that the efforts of Recreational Hunters were celebrated.† Not oft-times vilified.
Those who are anti-firearms .. ought to exclude the Tools-of-Trade of our Recreational Hunters .. from their anti-ness.
And we need to draw up more effective working partnerships .. between Recreational Hunters .. the Department of Conservation .. Farmers .. and other Landholders.
We need to see ourselves as being on the same Team .. and we need to work together better.
Recreational Hunters .. collectively, New Zealandís Greatest Voluntary Eco-Warriors.† Making a practical contribution.
Merry Christmas Everybody!

IP Logged

Shearhuntfish
Just Joined

Re: Recreational Hunters - NZís Greatest Voluntary Eco-Warriors
Reply #1 - Dec 25th, 2017 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Well said. I'm hoping I can do my part to help with the hunting and eating of said animals over the summer.

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #2 - Dec 26th, 2017 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
+1, Well said.

.270 WIN † AWESOME SINCE 1925† †† † "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Font

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #3 - Dec 26th, 2017 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
+1 Well written

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

Husky 1600
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 8:36am
Print Post  
Another well written piece Stewart, and I will be sharing it far and wide.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #5 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 10:44am
Print Post  
did my part lasr nite,,2 large game down n one got a free ride to the freezer

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Rees

LiveIIHunt

Reply #6 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
stewart.h wrote on Dec 25th, 2017 at 7:01pm:
(Please feel free to share this far and wide.)

Willie Apiata .. celebrated war hero .. and NZís only living example of a winner of the Victoria Cross .. is a Recreational Hunter.
That is no coincidence!
Throughout human history - it has been those who have borne arms .. who have also fed us .. and protected us.
Those who hunt during times of peace .. are amongst the first to drop everything and defend us .. when a threat to our national safety or our way of life arises.
Proportionally, more members of the Armed Forces are Hunters - than amongst the general population.
In past times of war (lest we forget .. and may we never need the services of such men and women again) - Hunters and others with firearms experience have injected weapons competence amongst those drafted into our Armed Forces.
And given that ALL animal species hunted in New Zealand are introduced - and many are regarded as pests (especially when allowed to achieve high population numbers) collectively, Hunters make a bigger practical contribution to ecological protection - than any other unpaid group of people in New Zealand - bar none.† For example, an estimated 150-200,000 big game animals (deer, pigs, tahr and chamois) are harvested .. largely, as food for the table .. every year.† Thatís in addition to countless other introduced species requiring control .. including possums, rabbits, hares, ducks, geese .. and other introduced animals and birds.† As well as every mustelid and feral cat we can draw a bead on.
All at zero cost to the taxpayer (indeed, as a positive contributor to public monies .. by way of taxes paid on many millions of dollars of costs).
And with Nil native species bykill.
Imagine the multiplication effect if all of THAT didnít happen!
All of these animals and birds .. every, single one of them .. and the multiplier of their offspring .. would have to be controlled by other means .. if they werenít harvested by Recreational Hunters.
Many of them would have to be poisoned - the most heinous death of all.† (And, a great waste of food.)
So here in New Zealand .. itís about time that the efforts of Recreational Hunters were celebrated.† Not oft-times vilified.
Those who are anti-firearms .. ought to exclude the Tools-of-Trade of our Recreational Hunters .. from their anti-ness.
And we need to draw up more effective working partnerships .. between Recreational Hunters .. the Department of Conservation .. Farmers .. and other Landholders.
We need to see ourselves as being on the same Team .. and we need to work together better.
Recreational Hunters .. collectively, New Zealandís Greatest Voluntary Eco-Warriors.† Making a practical contribution.
Merry Christmas Everybody!

I'm quite caught up in the NZ 1080 and means of Deer management....... however that is.

I recently penned down a bit of an article  from my own opinion on the fact that there simply isn't enough Deer shot in Victoria by the Certain amount of licensed hunters out there...

I'm actually wondering if you would have any interest in reading it over for me before I throw it to the wolves on a social media page I tote..

I've had a few close hunter mates read it an get their opinions/ thoughts on it, but a Kiwi , might just understand and give me a little more 'touch' for the readers Wink

Shoot me a PM if of any interest.
Thanks
Rhys.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards