Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Braid & leader for salmon? (Read 689 times)
dtchch
Forum Font

Braid & leader for salmon?
Dec 21st, 2017 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Hey guys,

Just wondering if you guys running braid use a mono leader on the end to connect to the lure? Or do you just tie your braid straight to the lure?

Cheers!

Whatungarongaro te tangata toitū te whenua
Man shall disappear, but the land always remains

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Re: Braid & leader for salmon?
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Leader. Surf [ mono mainline not braid] I use a mono leader, river or gut flourocarbon leader.

IP Logged

Hackmeat
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
yep . two rod lengthsish  normally of mono up river .

fun with meat

IP Logged

smokin salmon

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Dec 26th, 2017 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Upriver 25 lb florocarbon bout a metre long for me if I use one at all. If youre fishing around willow trees / roots and dont have shares in Hunting and fishing dont use one  (7 -9 dollars a cast:)Im not sure that salmon are "line shy" like say a big trout.
Flourocarbon sinks faster than mono or braid if youre using a smaller , lighter zeddy or trying someting different. Ps: they are ......hard to catch these days. Grin

IP Logged

outnabout

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 6:09am
Print Post  
smokin salmon wrote on Dec 26th, 2017 at 1:32pm:
Upriver 25 lb florocarbon bout a metre long for me if I use one at all. If youre fishing around willow trees / roots and dont have shares in Hunting and fishing dont use one  (7 -9 dollars a cast:)Im not sure that salmon are "line shy" like say a big trout.
Flourocarbon sinks faster than mono or braid if youre using a smaller , lighter zeddy or trying someting different. Ps: they are ......hard to catch these days. Grin

I do the same as you upriver, the only reason I do is because it's easier to cut off and re-tie on a different lure and saves cutting down the braid.

In the surf I'll use the double rod length as suggested previously as it adds a bit of stretch/cushion for the big head shakes and helps keep the heavier ticers from being shaken out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards