Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Athol Geddes (Read 1358 times)
Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Athol Geddes
Dec 20th, 2017 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
My ex boss in the Tararuas passed away last Saturday.
Athol was the first senior ranger for the lower North Island, when the NZFS took over deer control from the internal Affairs dept

Started culling with the Internal Affairs in 1950s, Urewera, Ruahines, West Coast.

Joined the NZFS and in 1956 took over deer control in Tararuas. Setup the first forest park in NZ (Tararua) and managed the deer culling hut and track network for the range.  This opened up most of the range to trampers and hunters. For many years, the Tararuas were the most popular tramping area in the country - and probably still is, by kiwis. As a young Hutt valley type, myself and mates used those huts every weekend, and followed the network further and further into the range

Athol made sure all huts were the 6 bunk type, so the public could use them as well as cullers

Bloody nice guy, would soon tell you if you wernt doing good enough.
below is link to EXNZFS facebook page

RIP

https://www.facebook.com/exNZFS/posts/895355893976048?pnref=story

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Athol Geddes
Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
I knew that man for a time - RIP.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards